Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

2018 65 Q9FN image banding issues

(Topic created on: 25-09-2018 10:16 AM)
kerbero
Explorer
Options

I have a new brand Q9FN for a week. Image quality is superb except for viewing sports such as football. I don't know if it is a problem with my unit or a model issue.

Vertical bands, specially viewing It at angle.Vertical bands, specially viewing It at angle.

In my old le46c750 image quality is better in sports and uniform colors situations.

I attached a sample photograph of my TV.  I am very dissapointed with my purchase.

Vertical bars in uniform colors.Vertical bars in uniform colors.

IMG_20180921_231453.jpg

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @kerbero.

Have you tried experimenting with your picture settings to see if this improves things at all, or is the banding evident all the time?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ChrisM wrote:

Hi @kerbero.

Have you tried experimenting with your picture settings to see if this improves things at all, or is the banding evident all the time?

A brand new very expensive top of the range TV,  and the best advice is have you experimented with the settings! 

Sounds like a faulty panel to me.  Make sure you report it to your retailer as soon as possible as they are responsible under consumer law. 

Paul

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Always best to make an effort to figure out what you're dealing with before taking any action... so you have a better idea of the appropriate action to take.

I've been here since the beginning and generally speaking, I think the people interacting and reading the forum would like a bit more than "Report it to the retailer" as advice to every issue - even if a repair or return ends up ultimately being what's needed in that specific case. I for one, appreciate when folks make an effort to share their wisdom - even if it's just simple stuff they're advising.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS wrote:

Always best to make an effort to figure out what you're dealing with before taking any action... so you have a better idea of the appropriate action to take.

I've been here since the beginning and generally speaking, I think the people interacting and reading the forum would like a bit more than "Report it to the retailer" as advice to every issue - even if a repair or return ends up ultimately being what's needed in that specific case. I for one, appreciate when folks make an effort to share their wisdom - even if it's just simple stuff they're advising.

I know,  but it is the retailer who is responsible under consumer law. If a new telly does not work as advertised out if the box,  who does work ok one day and not the next then I would say there could be a problem with the TV,  and this always should be reported to the retailer at first so it is logged. Then yes try to sort out with you,  and if you do ok, but as I have said a TV costing so much should just work as advertised and you should not have to jump through hoops to get it to do do. Reporting to the retailer as the first point if call is the best advice. 

Paul

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@paul1277: Assuming they’re still around, then nothing wrong with getting in touch with the retailer/seller for stuff that doesn't appear to be working as it should be – especially if they’ve got good support services readily available. Never hurts to take a little informed education on the situation in with you, though – or to check if there’s an easier, more convenient solution. :winking-face:

@kerbero: Any joy with what @ChrisM suggested?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS wrote:

@paul1277: Assuming they’re still around, then nothing wrong with getting in touch with the retailer/seller for stuff that doesn't appear to be working as it should be – especially if they’ve got good support services readily available. Never hurts to take a little informed education on the situation in with you, though – or to check if there’s an easier, more convenient solution. :winking-face:

@kerbero: Any joy with what @ChrisM suggested?

I agree,  but on a brand new Q9FN you should not be having these issues full stop. The reason why people spend £3000+ is to get a telly which makes you say whow.  If it does not and you can see imperfections then I would want a replacement not repairs. That means you must inform the retailer as soon as you realise it is not upto scratch. I have had experiences with your tech support, when I had my KS 9500 replaced by Samsung for a Q9F top of the range. Great with SD but HDR was so dull compared to the KS,  and letterbox films had a shadow aroundthe letter box,  and yes blooming and banding. Not happy. I sent pics to your UK CEO,  who said that their technical department said it was within spec. I also posted pics on av forums and here and all said it was not good. It was a good job I had the KS first so I new I was being fobbed off  by your tech. Samsung UK CEO did then agree to give me a full refund. 

That is why I am always critical of your support because I have had first hand experience, and not impressed. I would say to anyone who is not happy,  show others on here or av forums with photos,  and get a second opinion. You might be (or not)  surprised by the different conclusions between Samsung support and forums. 

Paul

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Of course there are customers who need to seek redress , however think it is best to make some checks before doing so.   In general terms most of members of the community are initially seeking troubleshooting advice amd sometimes fixes can be relatively straightforward.    Some members will also have more experience of particular issues and useful advice is often appreciated.   of course there will be different  views on certain issues at times   and that is fine but various options adds to the user experience.

With regard to the Banding issue certainly no harm in trying the settings and to take a picture test,though it may well prove to be  a fault.   Some general information  https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/05/best-tv-settings/    https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gradient  @kerbero  , there is a review of the Q9FN  on the 2nd link.      I've noticed customers with varying experiences with  samsung Support, Banding though is an issue with many manufacturers.  

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

kerbero
Explorer
Options

Thank you very much for your responses, it´s a pleasure to have your help :).

The first thing I did when I set up my TV was to configurate it using Internet calibrations such rtings (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018/settings), flatpanelsreview (https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1525936564), avforums, among others...

Using all the above mentioned configurations I can see vertical bands as well as DSE in several situations, specially, football matches when an uniform colour is depicted in the screen. I told the situation to the retailer, who recommend me to call to the Samsung customer service in my country. I call to the support and they sent a technician to my home for seeing the TV. The veredict was a faulty panel, in words of the technician, these issues are not normal in this flagship TV. He is going the change me the entire panel in two days at my home.

In addition, I have to possibility of exchanging it in the retailer (today is the last day), but maybe the other Q9FN are of the same batch of the first one and all of them could have the same issues. In any case I will write again as soon my panel be changed.  I want to enjoy my tv whithout regarding these problems :).

AntS
Options

No worries, @kerbero - we're happy to be here! And thanks for that detailed response too. :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Let us know how things are once the panel has been changed. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: