Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Sim region lock

(Topic created on: 10/03/20 10:12)
rajkmohan
Apprentice
Options
Tablets

Hi, 

I am staying in Switzerland. I am planning to buy S8 for my wife. But I came to know that S8 which I buy in Swiss will work only with European sim alone. but my wife will be travelling back to India in a some time so she need to use with indian Sim also. can someone sugges an option to buy S8 in switzerland that can work with any sim irrespective of region or suggest me options to overcoem this problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
AntS
Options
Tablets

Hi all. :robothappy:

All current Samsung phones come with an active regional lock when first bought. Assuming it's not also locked to a specific network, using a SIM from the same regional origin as the phone for at least 5 minutes of total talktime will disable the regional lock and allow you to use a SIM from any other region from then on.

Hope this helps! :robothappy:

View solution in context

69 REPLIES 69
tkunitz
Options
Tablets
I did just that. Unlocked a Galaxy A40 from Germany being in Bangkok using 5min talking with roaming German SIM and then the regional lock was gone.
0 Likes
Haris2395
First Poster
Options
Tablets

Hi! I was just curious in knowng more about the region lock. 

So suppose if i buy my unlocked variant of S8 from Saudi Arabia and use it in India later and by following the above steps, it starts working.

So I wanted to ask, if I happen to reset my device later and set it up again. So do I need the SIM of Saudi again to unlock it or it shall remain unlocked and I shall directly be able to use my S8 with my Indian SIM?

0 Likes
BeingNishant
Observer
Options
Tablets

did you get any reply or solution to your query ? I also have the exact query

0 Likes
kanna1808
First Poster
Options
Tablets

Hi Nishant

I did not get a reply. However I used an EUR/UK simcard first for 5 minutes and dialled few of my friends numbers. After 5 minutes swapped with my india number and it's working fine. Hope this helps

0 Likes
TArik7
Options
Tablets
Hello everyone
Please I need urgent help!
My wife got me a Samsung s8+ In Sweden and it says on the box European SIM card only! And as I was going to remove the sticker I noticed it ... we live in Dubai so will the phone work?! Or should I return it. I tried calling Samsung but it’s weekend and no one is available please help
0 Likes
Haris2395
First Poster
Options
Tablets

wrote:
Hello everyone
Please I need urgent help!
My wife got me a Samsung s8+ In Sweden and it says on the box European SIM card only! And as I was going to remove the sticker I noticed it ... we live in Dubai so will the phone work?! Or should I return it. I tried calling Samsung but it’s weekend and no one is available please help

The phone MAY work but the chances are, it will not. 

No need to panic.

You just need a SIM card from Sweden. Insert it in your phone and leave it for some time. Use internet, make some calls (if possible), then remove that SIM card and insert your Dubai SIM. 

It will work as usual. 

And IF your Sweden SIM doesn't show up in roaming state because since the phone is in Dubai now (out of region), then simply take it to the servie centre and they will unlock it for you.

ozanb
Apprentice
Options
Tablets

father brought a s8 from germany for myself to turkey, but didnt make a local 5 minute call...
updated system but didnt reboot it for it not to block sim... didnt put local sim for s8 to not block it, but connected wifi

• my father will go to switzerland 3 weeks later, should i wait him to make a local call there, also does it need to be germany card or switzerland sim card works fine?
  • turkish sim cards doesnt count as european right, does it count as middle east? what if i bought it from saudi arabia?

thank you in advance

0 Likes
Moff330
First Poster
Options
Tablets
Bought the s8 in the UK
Was using a ee SIM and was working fine
Now returned home to South Africa and it won't except my sa SIM
Vodacom
Don't have my UK SIM with me so I can't make a 5 min call
Any other way to sort this region problem out
alyelnaggar
First Poster
Options
Tablets

Hello,

I have purchased a European sim only samsung S8 from Germany and talked using a German Sim Card for weeks and it was working fine. Now I have put an Egyptian Sim Card and it asks me for a network unlock code. I cannot unlock the device although it was explicitly said from Samsung that after 5 minutes talktime it should work. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

sally4
Observer
Options
Tablets
Hello, did you fix your problem, i have the same issue
0 Likes
Dka1
First Poster
Options
Tablets

I don't understand. My s8 is unlocked to any network. I'm with o2 in UK. I went to Burma and put Burmese sim in and it didn't work. I'm back in UK but don't have Burmese sim with me so how can I unlock region. I am confused about people saying use my o2 sim for a 10 min call or something to deactivate region lock. I always use my UK sim so shouldn't it be unlocked.  I'm off to Burma again soon and need the Burmese sim to work urgently. I don't want to risk being over there again and it not working w/o is there anything I can do to fix this from UK. If I have to make a call in Burma from my UK sim  it'll cost a fortune and probably won't work anyway 

0 Likes
Dka1
First Poster
Options
Tablets

So I must use my UK sim in the country overseas I'm in for 5 mins then I need to put that country's sim back in and it should work? Can't I do anything in the UK to make it work before I go abroad and try there?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Tablets
Hi @Dka1

To successfully unlock your phone for use outside its intended region you are required to make a 5-10 minute cumulative call from the region the phone was purchased, in this case the UK, to a local number using a SIM card from that region. If you're unsure whether the process has worked we'd recommend contacting O2 directly to see if they're able to shed any light on the situation.

0 Likes
Dka1
First Poster
Options
Tablets

Thanks Andrew. This is what doesnt make sense because I've owned the phone since October spine definitely used it for calls with the UK since then.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Tablets
@Dka1, yes that is a bit odd. Where did you purchase the phone from?

0 Likes
Dka1
First Poster
Options
Tablets
From Car phone warehouse who confirmed their phones aren't networked locked. That can't help with region unlock. Samsung told me what you said and o2 can't help. All I want to do is use my phone abroad with an overseas sim. Surelybit shouldn't be this difficult.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Tablets
@Dka1, I was just making sure that you hadn't purchased it from Amazon or another online retailer as this would not have guaranteed that the phone was a UK model. It may be the case that your phone was network locked rather than region locked and that is why it wouldn't work with your Burmese SIM. With this in mind it would be useful to obtain a network unlock code from your UK network prior to travelling to be sure you have all the bases covered. ^AL

0 Likes
Dka1
First Poster
Options
Tablets

You'd think it would be that easy. Carphonewarehouse say their phones are unlocked o2 are saying that I need to talk to Car phone warehouse and they are saying only manufacturer can help. Spoke to samsung and they can only help with region not network and they can only help in same way as you've said. I'm going round in circles and just need resolve before my next trip as I'll be away indefinitely.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Tablets
@Dka1, the phone will have originally been sold to you as 'unlocked' however as soon as you installed the O2 SIM it became locked to their network. If you take the necessary steps to regionally unlock the device before your travels and obtain a network unlock code from O2 then hopefully you will be fine to use a Burmese SIM outside the UK.

0 Likes
Dka1
First Poster
Options
Tablets

Thanks. O2 said that they can't help as phone from carphone warehouse and car phone warehouse said it's not network locked so catch22.

0 Likes
KevYou
Apprentice
Options
Tablets

Galaxy s9, dual sim. As this post came top of my search, thought i would reply that this 'solution' did not work for me. after receiving the same advice from Samung messenger support, I placed a call on each sim while in my home region for 15 mins each. my sims are not network operator locked.

Got to Indoenisa after all my preperation to find that as soon as I put in my Indonesian sim it requests a network unlock code!

thanks Samsung, this totally screwed up my plans. Sam sim works fine in my wifes Iphone....

0 Likes