Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro SD card - Bring it back

(Topic created on: 01-05-2022 11:08 AM)
Moyah8
Voyager
Options
Hi Samsung, please bring back the micro SD card in your next version of the galaxy phone S23. If not on all models, run a trail and only place on one variant (ie the S23+) and see how the sales go. 

I'm not the only out there thats not happy with yhe companies decision to remove the micro SD card slot. 

Please consider and implement. 
238 REPLIES 238
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Personally I don't care about losing the SD card now. It was slower, hard to use for much other then storing photos/videos, and android has locked down drastically to where a lot of apps can't even access it now

I never used over 300GB overall, especially because I'd be too afraid of losing all of that, so I'd keep the majority on my computer. I got the 512GB version and can't be any happier. If I hit 512GB then I know I need to clear my phone anyways (either to a computer or deleting unnecessary items), as that's just wayyy too much to be carrying around

0 Likes
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

And if you're stuck on the SD card then just upgrade to the Note 20 Ultra. It's the newest Samsung that still has the SD card lol

0 Likes
Options

Think you will find that was probably the card you was using - i run films from the card without even a jitter and haven't suffered any apps that don't use the card - maybe running the app from card but not storage...agree on the back up but i have honestly had more hard drive/PC failures than SD cards! ......each to their own and agree with logic of storage on phone and cloud etc but for kids travel and many other reasons SD is the only way so good luck if you want to bury the SD card "Samsung" you are just suggesting using better Clouds/Apps like Apple!

JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Nah it was the highest speed micro SD card you can get. You'll never achieve as fast as direct boarded storage. Same goes for SSDs, m.2 drives are significantly faster then regular SATA SSD. It's all about the interface and SD card interfacing is slower no matter how you slice it

As for your hard drive failures, get an SSD. M.2 if your computer supports it. Unfortunately the heat & moving parts of regular hard drives makes them fail super easily, plus just the writing and deleting alone will wear the disc much faster then an SSD will wear. My wife does professional wedding photography with over 500 images per wedding, constantly deleting and adding, etc. It's been over a 1 year so far and still at or above 99% life remaining. Before that her hard drive would fail basically every year

Also, SSD trim is so much superior to stupid defragmenting. Not only is it faster but the management is smarter. Hard drives also get slower as time passes, since it's a spinning drive. The motor gets slower over time... Not the case with an SSD. It's just as fast as the day we got it

0 Likes
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

The highest speed micro SD card is maybe 170MB/second if you're lucky

Internal storage speed of the S22 Ultra is almost 2,000MB/second

So tell me again how I'd benefit from a slow storage media? I watch my wife struggle with her slow SD cards all the time, the S22 Ultra internal makes it a breeze moving stuff on/off for my wife's photography as well - when needed

0 Likes
Yassir90
Explorer
Options

It should be an option, if you do not need it do not use it.
Well, many media creators and power users need it, especially when you do not have access to the cloud or you have small cloud\phone storage.

I have been using Samsung SD cards for more than 7 years and I had no issues.

TheOnlyDocc
Navigator
Options

1. You are wrong about the max SD card speed. UHS-II compatible cards have a max transfer speed of 312MB/s. And you can already buy cards with up to 300MB/s. Most of the time it is the devices bus speed limitations that make the cards so slow. And why is that so you maybe ask? Because it saves money (same with slow USB transfer speeds and W-Lan transfer speeds).

2. Please let me know which way you transfer your data from the phone to your PC and at which speed. What i can find so far (people that reported their USB transfer speeds) is speeds below 200MB/s. 

3.Even Samsung acknowledges that people need more storage. Because of that they are selling specific USB Drives (nice way to make some extra bucks). 

(https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-usb-c-flash-drives-galaxy-s22-missing-microsd-slot/)

Yeah they could simply add the SD card slot for everybody that needs it (it would not cost extra space inside the phone if they are using the dual sim slot (as they did in the past). And the SOC already comes with the interface for it. So to have the SD card option does not make Samsung loose anything except  additional profits from people buying phones with bigger internal storage (and you pay a lot for the extra storage in comparison to a SD card that you can reuse) or by selling additional USB drives. 

PS.If you are not happy with using SD cards, nobody pressures you to use it. But why are you arguing about it´s existence? Not everybody is sooo unhappy with it. Most people used it and were pretty happy with it. 

And some simply does not like if a company tries to squeezes every penny possible out of it´s customers.

TopherKRock
Navigator
Options

Faster storage options are available and do work with burst mode as well as 4K video.

JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Lmao yeah a regular SD card, not a micro SD card. Fastest on the market is 170MB/second and that's pushing it. You still aren't anywhere close to 2,000MB/second and I've noticed a HUGE improvement with simple things like deleting and moving just off this alone. I'm talking HUGE

I have USB C on my laptop, and also USB 3.1 - you can Google those speeds, not worth my time lol. Also not my fault people have outdated technology. If they have outdated technology then fine, stick to slowness for all I care lol

Again, anyone who has 512GB or more on their device is insane. You're not only risking losing all of that, but wtf are you doing?! Just move it to the computer if you need more space, that's insanity

I'm not unhappy about the SD card slot 🤣 I used to love my SD card, until I realized it's slow and outdated technology 

0 Likes
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

You do know it'll add up right? That's like forcing Chevron to build a gas station on every block because "it needs to be an option"

0 Likes