Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinvent blue earth

(Topic created on: 07-09-2023 11:57 AM)
Yezriell
First Poster
Options

Bring back the blue earth smart phone, the idea was so good, you don't even need a case for the solar power feature meaning it won't be chunky and you can put a case on, tell me, how many of you want the inconvenience of purchasing an extension for your phone when the features can just be integrated, it's annoying, and what happens to us in public? We run out of battery, or might get stranded, what do we get alot of? The sun, it needs to come back, just make it completely metallic blue this time.

1000039575.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
That source whilst I agree with pretty much everything they're saying, stuff such as "you'll have to leave it in direct sunlight" and "indoor artificial light isn't suitable for charging solar batteries" aren't true statements. I got my Samsung M70A 43" Smart Monitor back in Feb/March 2022 and use it frequently. The remote has a solar cell on the back and I've never charged it once and my desk area receives no natural sunlight yet I just went to check how much battery is left and surprisingly it's at 100%. 20230907_165330_1000004943_1694102011.jpg20230907_171755_1000004945_1694104085.jpg
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
To hammer home how poor a solution a solar panel on a phone would be I did a calculation to get 127.62cm squared of surface area on the rear side of an S23 Ultra. Let's say 100cm squared is the useable area for a solar panel.

Let's say how much energy could potentially be yielded per day from a 100cm squared solar panel in mAh?

The maximum amount of solar energy that could be yielded per day from a 100cm squared solar panel in mAh depends on several factors, such as the location, the weather, the orientation, the efficiency and the voltage of the panel.

First, let us assume that the panel is located in a place with an average solar radiation of 5 kWh/m² per day, which is typical for many regions in the world. Second, let us assume that the panel is tilted at an optimal angle to maximize the solar irradiance on its surface. Third, let us assume that the panel has an efficiency of 20%, which means that it can convert 20% of the solar energy that hits it into electrical energy. Fourth, let us assume that the panel has a voltage of 5V, which is common for many small devices.

Using these assumptions, we can calculate the maximum amount of solar energy that could be yielded per day from a 100cm squared solar panel in Wh (watt-hours) as follows:

E (Wh) = A (m²) * H (kWh/m²) * r (%)

Where,

E is the energy in watt-hours.

A is the area of the panel in square meters.

H is the solar radiation on tilted panels in kilowatt-hours per square meter per day.

r is the efficiency of the panel in percentage.

Plugging in the values, we get:

E (Wh) = 0.01 m² * 5 kWh/m² * 0.2

E (Wh) = 0.01 Wh

This means that the panel can produce 0.01 Wh of energy per day at maximum.

To convert Wh to mAh (milliamp-hours), we need to use another formula:

Q (mAh) = E (Wh) * 1000 / V

Where,

Q is the charge in milliamp-hours.

E is the energy in watt-hours.

V is the voltage in volts.

Plugging in the values, we get:

Q (mAh) = 0.01 Wh * 1000 / 5V

Q (mAh) = 2 mAh

This means that the panel can produce 2 mAh of charge per day at maximum.

Therefore, the maximum amount of solar energy that could be yielded per day from a 100cm squared solar panel in mAh is 2 mAh.

Just so we're clear this answer was generated by AI but if we assume it is without error you can see how a phone is not a good candidate at all however very low energy use devices like remotes are able to maintained by trickle charging day by day. I think my Apple TV remote took a year to run out of charge and I use that more than the Samsung remote and it's much smaller and thinner too. Remotes can get away with it as they use almost nothing on a daily basis, phones absolutely not.