Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro SD card - Bring it back

(Topic created on: 01-05-2022 11:08 AM)
Moyah8
Voyager
Options
Hi Samsung, please bring back the micro SD card in your next version of the galaxy phone S23. If not on all models, run a trail and only place on one variant (ie the S23+) and see how the sales go. 

I'm not the only out there thats not happy with yhe companies decision to remove the micro SD card slot. 

Please consider and implement. 
238 REPLIES 238
TheOnlyDocc
Navigator
Options

Regarding micro SD card speed (as example: Lexar Professional 1800x,ProGrade Digital, ADATA Premier One ). You can google the speed for your self. (not worth my time!)

For the given task, i and most other people do not even need speeds close to 2000MB/sec. If you want to know what the task is, check the thread.

Regarding USB speed. I hope you know that having USB-C does not mean you have a fast data connection. Best example the new Apple Phones with USB-C connection but 480Mbit transfer speed aka USB 2.0 speed. On my Note 20 ultra i not even get the max speed (via USB) my micro SD card offers (using a 20Gbit/s USB card and cable writing on a Samsung 980pro M2). 

You may have decided that SD cards are outdated and not worth your time. But a huge amount of people do not think the same. 

And regarding it will add up. What adds up. The price for the additional SD card slot? They still use a dual sim slot. So no additional costs here. And the SOC already comes with a storage controller inside. You do not save money if you do not use it. Qualcomm does not make the chip cheaper if you do not use integrated functions. 

JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

You obviously have no comprehension that you're only as fast as your SLOWEST link. All these speeds you're mentioning are 100% dependant on your SLOWEST link. So sure, maybe your card supports that speed, that doesn't mean your phones hardware does. Same with connecting to a computer/other device

You'd have to upgrade your cable and device to get the speeds I get. Obviously you're using slower cables/technology 🤷‍ on top of that, you're going through multiple channels when you do it that way. Another reason the SD card sucks!! You're going through the phone and through the SD card controller, and hardware, etc. All additional steps. Where the internal storage is just direct and will be greatly faster, especially with the right cable & technology 

0 Likes
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Also don't bring apple into this 🤣 they're decades behind on everything, and always have been. They don't even have sufficient security against viruses & malware because of how behind they are

0 Likes
JAW-82
Apprentice
Options

The point is that Samsung is not being loyal to it's user base. This is one of the reason I've stuck with Samsung since the SG2 days. They now offer nothing that significantly sets them apart from competitors. i.e. Google or Apple, whereas before simply having the Mico SD slot gave them a leg up for power users.

Some people, like myself, like the option of having access to their own media like their own ripped movies, audio-books, music, or other files like backups and documents. Other options, like cloud or on-board storage, are cost prohibitive. Also, the cloud options are impractical/inconvenient for people with a limited data plan or who travel a lot and lose access to data or a fast network.

For people like me, I'm looking at other options now and their competitors.

Your analogy with gas stations isn't at all comparable because adding the option for an Micro SD slot isn't at all costly to the manufacturing process, the parts and capabilities are literally pennies in cost to the manufacturer. A more apt analogy would be adding air compressors to the already existing stations. Not every would need or use it but it sure is convenient to those who would like it and it adds additional appeal to use their stations as opposed to the competitors.

The issue of speed is a non-starter because the option of built in storage is still there with/without the Micro SD card. If you don't use, it isn't an argument NOT to have it available to those who would prefer it.

JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Lmao you act like using a USB cable is soooo bad, you're gonna get the same if not faster transfer speeds using the USB cable to put that stuff on your phone. Plus if you're taking out the SD card to do those things, that's insane 😑 waste of effort and time. If you're connecting it via USB to put it on the SD card then it's nothing different. Actually it's easier because you won't have 2 of the same folders to get confused with, and easier to manage your files because it's all on 1 drive instead of fumbling with file managers and having to switch between SD card and internal. That's likely one of the reasons they got rid of it to begin with, it's too confusing for the majority to switch back and forth. Just because a small 1% of people love dealing with the extra effort, doesn't mean the rest do

Much simpler to just have 1 drive to mess with, transfer to/from, and manage. I've already noticed huge improvement with keeping my files organized off this alone

0 Likes
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Also if you're willing to pay over $300 to make your 128GB phone the equivalent of 512GB+, you're insane

It's only $200 more max to get the 512GB S22 Ultra vs the 128GB model

So you're telling me you're gonna spend over $300 just to hit the same amount? 🤣

0 Likes
JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Lexar Professional 1800x is a regular SD card lmaooo... The ones that were micro are only a max of 250-275MB/second and are more expensive then just getting the 512GB model. Still not 2,000MB/second, and still too expensive to be worth it. Also adds on complexity because you'll have 2 of the same folders, 2 storage locations, and you'll have to switch back and forth to manage those files. That's likely the reason they got rid of it to begin with, much easier to just have 1 drive to fiddle with. Especially for the average user. Hell most of the time I've noticed people don't even use their SD card when I've installed it for people to use, they end up calling me wondering why they're out of space only to find out they have 256+GB available on their SD card. Android doesn't make it THAT easy to manage, and definitely doesn't make it easy for typical users to utilize

0 Likes
JAW-82
Apprentice
Options

For anyone who cares about the Micro SD slot, they don't care about the storage locations or the speeds. Again, having it doesn't make a difference to not having it. If you don't like it then don't use it. It's as simple as that. For professional photographers, they should be using better equipment such as DLSR cameras for photography anyways. 

To go from their 128GB to the 512GB is currently around $200-300 depending on the vendors. You can pick up a name brand 512GB Micro SD card for around $40-70.

Going from a 512GB to 1TB Phone costs approx. $800 vs Micro SD 1TB: $100-200.

The costs per GB for Micro SD are always going down as market availability and technology improves. A person always has the option to add more space provided they have the slot. 

Like all other vendors, Samsung changes a huge premium on the built in data storage.

Your arguments still do not support not having the capability, you are only pointing out the downsides to SD memory vs built in. No one is arguing against having the built in storage options, only against not having the Micro SD slot as an option which costs the manufacture pennies to put it on the phone. 

JamesAutoDude
Explorer
Options

Are you crazy??? The $40-$70 SD cards are slow AF, barely even usable for real day usages

And you're talking about a very small minority of people who want that complicated mess. The majority want ease of use, and SD cards are not ease of use. Hell people rarely even used the slot, hence why Samsung got rid of it

And not only that... Since you say photographers shouldn't use it, then who the heck is using over 300GB worth of storage on a PHONE? 😅

0 Likes
TheOnlyDocc
Navigator
Options

Lexar Professional 1800x is also available as micro SD card. And the discussion about Micro SD card speed only came up because you said they reach max 170MB/s. And that is simply wrong!

I personally use a slower 1TB card (read speed 160MB/s). Because it is absolutely fast enough for what i need it for.

And regarding USB transfer speed. I wrote i use a 20Gbit/s USB card and Cable writing on a Samsung 980pro M2. And i also not getting really fast speeds when i copy files from the Note 20 ultra internal storage. Because the Phones USB port is the slowest link. 

And regarding price. I pay once for my 1TB SD card. And i used it in my last 2 phones. Upgrading my last 2 phones to a 1TB internal storage option (not even possible) would be much more expensive. And if the next phone has a SD card slot i can use the card again. So now you will probably try to tell me that buying the SD card once is sooo much more expensive than upgrading 3 or more phones to the max internal storage configuration. Sure!

And like many many people wrote before. We like to have for example Hi Res music on the phone. Paired with a quality DAC and quality headphones. And because of that a big SD card is wonderful. No need to limit my music collection to a few GB.

And i do not have to pay for cloud storage or for a bigger data plan to stream the music. Also i have no problems if the mobile connection is bad. 

And keeping everything in order on my phone is really not a problem. One internal Drive and the SD card does not overstrain my brain. 

And in conclusion I have to say that you are missing the point. Samsung did not get rid of the SD card to save money or because it is outdated. They did it to squeeze more money out of it´s customers . And that is exactly the point many people are angry about.