Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Fold 4 Crashes when Unfolding

(Topic created on: 20-12-2022 02:41 AM)
jhk987
Explorer
Options

So recently MY ZF4 has started giving me a black screen and become unresponsive when I unfold the phone, it will also then sometimes automatically restart itself after the screen goes black. I have tried everything, including a factory reset but nothing has fixed this. I am just wondering it anybody else has had this? This phone is not even a month old, if it is a bug in the hardware or software, samsung needs to address it,

41 REPLIES 41
Members_1b7BhDU
First Poster
Options

I have started having the same issue for two days now, can only use the phone with the cover screen for now. Going to take it to service to have it looked at, seems like a hardware issue

gogetum
First Poster
Options
Same issue here, started today without warning crashes every time I open it.. also no sound from built in speakers on playback but sound on Bluetooth. Less than six months old and never dropped or near water.
Markus AT
First Poster
Options

*****, may it be a coincidence or not: I received the OneUI5.1 Update a few days ago, and this issue started immediately afterwards: Not every time, but >50% of all the times I "unfold" my Fold4, the speakers make a buzzing sound, and the screen gets dark. Only fix is a soft-reset with holding all the buttons down...
Is this for sure a hardware problem? If yes this sucks big way!!! 😞

0 Likes
Signman
First Poster
Options

FIXED MINE! I had a suspicion that the switch was not triggering on and or causing the phone to turn off when unfolding. I put the phone under hot running water and completely washed it and continously opened and closed it submerged in water.  Suddenly it lit up! It works now!

0 Likes
eCoyote
First Poster
Options

Here we are - same issue as posted above: at random times, all screens go black when unfolding the phone. The only way to get anything back from the phone is to hold both the power button + lower volume button for 30s, forcing a reboot. This issue started yesterday - it does not happen every single time, but frequently enough to make the phone unusable. I've tried a factory reset, to rule out possible software issues, without success. Now just called  Support to ask for a repair... I hope they'll fix it.

Anybody got this permanently resolved, through Support of otherwise?

For the stats: I've unfolded my phone about 8000 times since purchasing it in August 2022 before that problem occured (I've installed the Tasker app early on, to keep track of fold/unfold events).

0 Likes
Meg27
Student
Options
Can anyone please confirm if their phone was actually repaired or if they were given a new one?
0 Likes
jhk987
Explorer
Options
I was offered a new one from my phone provider, but chose a different model.
Meg27
Student
Options
Thank you for responding. I've got an appointment for repair on Saturday - closest shop/appt is a 2 hour drive away and I use phone for work too so I can't send off for repair and be without a phone for a week or two. Really hope they just give me a new one, quite annoyed about it really at a £2k phone messing up so soon 🙄
0 Likes
Davelondon
First Poster
Options
I'm having the same issue Samsung chat totally useless. Gonna have to call them tomorrow
0 Likes
RicardoGA
Apprentice
Options

Hi there! Same issue here. Everytime I unfold z fold 4, it would crash and start heating up. I have been told (with warrant still eligible) that Samsung service centre needs 15 days to check the issue. I am waiting for their response. Hopefully switch back to a regular not folding phone.

0 Likes