Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Fold 4 Crashes when Unfolding

(Topic created on: 25-09-2022 12:54 PM)
jhk987
Explorer
Options

So recently MY ZF4 has started giving me a black screen and become unresponsive when I unfold the phone, it will also then sometimes automatically restart itself after the screen goes black. I have tried everything, including a factory reset but nothing has fixed this. I am just wondering it anybody else has had this? This phone is not even a month old, if it is a bug in the hardware or software, samsung needs to address it,

41 REPLIES 41
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Things to try is clearing the Partition Cache on the phone
Start up the phone in safe mode, if it works normally, then it's likely an app or Theme that's causing issues
Check also how much memory you have used. If the phones memory is almost full, then clearing some may help
You say automatically restarts. Is it at certain times like overnight?
Could be it's set to do this and can be turned off
0 Likes
jhk987
Explorer
Options
I will try these methods, thanks. But no, the speakers make a loud crackling sound and then the phone blackscreens for about 5 minutes and is only responsive folded.
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I traded in my Fold3 due to this if it happens to the Fold4 I will be sending it back for a refund under section 75 credit card cover.

With the Fold3 I tried safe mode, reset, cache wipes, same issue, sent for repair Samsung said its fine no issues, so I traded it in.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
jhk987
Explorer
Options
Yeah, so far nothing has fixed it. I have factory reset, cleared the cache in recovery mode, performed diagnostics, scanned for mallard and it still occurs. This seems like a hardware issue, yet I have never dropped the phone and only had it for a month. Totally unacceptable on Samsung's part for letting this get through quality testing.
0 Likes
TheChamp
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issue with my Z Fold 4. I heard a static crackling sound then the screen distorted and went back. I have to reset the phone by holding power and  - volume. I have the Z fold 4 for about a month. I called Samsung support and they want me to send on the phone for repair. This is ridiculous on a top of the line Samsung phone. The phone is only a month old and they will not send me a replacement. I can still use the phone but can't unfold or it will crash and shutdown. Samsung needs to take care of it customer and should value the customer. Customer support told me to buy a cheap phone to use while my phone in repair.

TheChamp
Apprentice
Options

I know how you feel. I have been contacting Samsung support and was very disappointed.

jhk987
Explorer
Options
Yeah that crackling sound also happens to me, it doesn't happen every time, but it does happen once after restarting the phone. Like you said, there will be a loud crackling and then the screen will black out and become unresponsive
TheChamp
Apprentice
Options

I am very disappointed on how Samsung handle this issue on their hardware issue with the Z Fold 4. I have no choice but send in the device tomorrow for repair. Samsung should replace the phone instead of repairing it. It's only a month old and manufactured defect. How do you handle your phone issue?

0 Likes
jhk987
Explorer
Options
Well since the fault occurred within 30 days of me getting the phone, I can send it back to myphone provider and exchange it for the s22 Ultra. I should've gotten that in the first place lol