Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi switching off itself

(Topic created on: 28-07-2022 08:40 PM)
Flookyk
Explorer
Options

Has anyone else had problems with their Zfold 3 or other samsung phones since the 1st July Security Update?

Once this was installed my Zfold 3 has been switching off the Wifi itself, sometimes when I had been using it and other times once I closed it and the screen switched off.

I even tried to do a factory reset on it and it still did the same, even as far as it would not then switch the wifi back on at all.

I sent it away to get repaired but Samsung Care returened it yesterday saying they could find nothing wrong so I restored the data/ apps to it and it has started happening again, both in normal mode and in Safe Mode.

47 REPLIES 47
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

Do you have Intelligent WI-FI's Switch to mobile data turned off in the settings?

Settings > Connections > WI-FI > Three dots > Advanced > Switch to mobile data

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
Flookyk
Explorer
Options
Yes, it switched off.
Flookyk
Explorer
Options
Now the WiFi has switched off again but refusing to switch back on again.
If now means instead of being able to use my zfold 3 I am now using an A13 until Samsung sorts the problem out .. they say it is not the equipment but possibly software??
Seems strange when the exact Android software is working no problem on the A13
Flookyk
Explorer
Options

Well I got my phone returned once again, supposedly tested, and they found "No Faults" but within 2 hours of setting it up again it has started to turn off the Wifi once again.

The apps i have installed on it works perfectly on an A13 I bought as a spare while this one is away getting fixed.

At the moment it means I have a very expensive "brick" as a lot of the time I use Wifi connections.

Not happy with Samsung at all at the moment, I had no problems at all with the previous S6, S8 then S10.

PaulM1
Options

Hi, @Flookyk. Oh, that is a strange issue, but I'm sure I'll be able to help you get this resolved. I fancy that your Wi-Fi cutting out might be caused by an app or a setting.

Please try heading to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Tap the 3 dots in the top right, then Advanced > Wi-Fi Control History, and then check to see if any apps have turned your Wi-Fi off. If you find anything that corresponds with your issue, and it is a third-party app, then you may wish to uninstall it to prevent future occurrences. 

Further to the above, please head to Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data Only Apps, and either toggle this option off, or remove any apps that you use frequently while connected to Wi-Fi. 

In the unlikely event that this doesn't help you get the Wi-Fi connection stabilised  on your Z Fold3, please go to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > 3 dot > Advanced > Switch To Mobile Data > Off > Wi-Fi Power Saving Mode > Off. If the connection continues to drop, you may wish to try connecting to another trusted Wi-Fi network (e.g. a friend or family member's) to see if the issue persists. Doing this will help to determine if the problem lies with the phone or with your current router.

I know there are a lot of steps there, so please just work through those at your own pace, and please let us know how you get on.

0 Likes
Flookyk
Explorer
Options

Please try heading to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Tap the 3 dots in the top right, then Advanced > Wi-Fi Control History, and then check to see if any apps have turned your Wi-Fi off. If you find anything that corresponds with your issue, and it is a third-party app, then you may wish to uninstall it to prevent future occurrences.  ----- No Apps are showing in this. ( I have removed the Sim to put back in my spare phone again)

Further to the above, please head to Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data Only Apps, and either toggle this option off, or remove any apps that you use frequently while connected to Wi-Fi.  --- This has already been tried previously but also when it would not switch the Wfi on again this time.

In the unlikely event that this doesn't help you get the Wi-Fi connection stabilised  on your Z Fold3, please go to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > 3 dot > Advanced > Switch To Mobile Data > Off > Wi-Fi Power Saving Mode > Off. If the connection continues to drop, you may wish to try connecting to another trusted Wi-Fi network (e.g. a friend or family member's) to see if the issue persists. Doing this will help to determine if the problem lies with the phone or with your current router. ---  Again, the first bit has already been tried previously and again this time ...  as for testing it with another Wifi, it is NOT dropping the WiFi connection .. it is switching off the Wifi on the phone altogether  .. .and this Wifi/ router works perfectly with the A13 I have had to buy to use.

PaulM1
Options

Ah, I see, @Flookyk. Thanks for confirming that you have already gone through these steps.

In this case, if you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend submitting an Error report at your earliest convenience:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-use-the-samsung-members-app/

I think that doing this is especially important, as you mentioned in your original post that the issue started when you downloaded and installed a recent software update.

Please keep us updated on the resolution. 👍

0 Likes
Flookyk
Explorer
Options
It has come back from Samsung for the third time .. this time they replaced the main board.
As soon as I switched on it would not switch on the WiFi.
I managed to get it on once removing the SIM card then putting it back in... but it was switching off the WiFi every hour.
I replaced the SIM card with new one ...no change.. still switching off the WiFi..till it would not switch on the WiFi again.

After seeing a YouTube video I had a look at what the Z Fold 3 had installed the the A13 does not and found a Samsung app called Secure WiFi and cleared the cache and data from this app as the video suggested.. this has enabled the WiFi to switch back on.
It has switched off a couple of times since but clearing the data and cache from the Samsung Secure WiFi has allowed me to then switch on the WiFi again each time.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way of disabling or uninstalling this app.. the disable is greyed out.
Flookyk
Explorer
Options
Well, after 3 failed attempts of Samsung trying to fix it, including them supposedly changing the main board on it, they have just informed me they are going to replace it with a new one.
0 Likes