Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Z fold 5 Hinge issues

(Topic created on: 12-12-2023 10:25 PM)
mando786
Explorer
Options
I had my Samsung Z fold 5 as soon as it got released in August. As my first Foldable i absolutely loved the experience but i continued to read about these phones being notoriously fragile hence i would absolutely baby my Z Fold 5. Three months in and i started noticing the hinge making this sound i wasn't used to and i also felt the phone wouldn't open completely. Although it was a very minor difference but it did alarm me. Just a week ago i open my Fold 5 and Bam. The inner display has a black line in the centre and my heart sank. I closed the phone and opened it a couple of times and eventually the touch stopped working and the more i opened and closed the hinge the worst it got. Eventually the inner display started flickering and turned green in the centre. All this happened in just one day and i had to run to O2 office to claim the warranty and they eventually replaced my phone. Mind you that the inner display had the protector intact and as i said i would absolutely baby my phone with the best case i could get.
Point is i am scared of Foldables now. It is a risky luxury but i have anxiety now everytime i open my Fold 5. If you want to get this phone without full damage cover warranty you might as well throw money in fire.
34 REPLIES 34
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @mando786 

Please don't worry to much about using your Fold phone.

On the while they are good solid phone's but with all forms of technology things can go wrong unfortunately. 

These phone's do have a 2 year Manufacturing Warranty and I agree it is a good idea to have some form of insurance cover but thats the advice I'd give for any mobile phone. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
I agree with the above, however to me foldables are just not ready yet. They are a beta device. Get an ultra mine is fresh as a daisy after 9 months. I really want a folding phone but I won't touch them till there ready and I would have to not see multiple posts everyday about screens breaking.
0 Likes
mando786
Explorer
Options
I used S23 Ultra for about 4 months before i used O2 switch up and got a Fold 5. Honestly, after using a fold, there's no turning back because it's a brilliant phone, but sadly, as i said, it's a risky luxury
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Yea I can agree, if you got that big screen it would be hard to go back which is why I'm avoiding that situation I can't miss what I never had. It is risky but I suppose as long as samsung doesn't play silly beggers it's a risk worth taking
Members_ztazZT5
Explorer
Options

Exact same thing happened to my Z-Fold 4, and now it's in the trash. Hinge would make some noise, sometimes a loud crack. Then screen protector started coming off, then screen itself gradually had black spots. Clearly a quality issue. I bought it because I was confident if anything happened to the foldable screen like it was with other people, at least it would be repaired under warranty. Nope. Less than 1 year old....They denied my warranty repair because of a tiny scuff on the corner of the phone. They call it "mechanical damage" but it was just from being in my pocket and rubbing. They seem to do this as a business model... make a poor quality product that will fall apart, then find any excuse to deny a warranty repair as a way to boost profit at customer's expense. Now I have a useless phone that can't even be repaired for any price, Samsung won't do it and no repair shop is capable. So now it's a $1,600 piece of trash. I will never buy a Samsung product again, and will steer clear of any foldable screen unless the company has rock solid warranty policies. IMG_0021.jpegIMG_0022.jpegIMG_0023.jpeg

Members_ztazZT5
Explorer
Options

It would be okay as an early adopter, but only if Samsung actually honored their warranty. They don't, clearly not standing behind the product. My warranty on a phone less than 1 year old was denied because the color on the metal frame was scuffed from being in my pocket. They will look for any tiny excuse to deny warranties. 

0 Likes
mando786
Explorer
Options
That honestly made me very sad. I am currently paying £18 every month for a full damage cover warranty for my Fold 5, and thank God i am because after my recent experience, these fold phones, without a full damage cover warranty is an absolute No No in my humble opinion.
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Yea I have read lots about that it's because they use a robbing 3rd party. I was lucky that my s21 went faulty during covid so they just said they couldn't fix it and gave me a full refund
0 Likes
SahibImran
First Poster
Options
I need to replace or return my samsung z5 fold due to software issues and automatically factory resetting and wiping out all my important information and data.kindly let us know how to place a return request.
0 Likes