Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Z fold 5 Hinge issues

(Topic created on: 12-12-2023 10:25 PM)
mando786
Explorer
Options
I had my Samsung Z fold 5 as soon as it got released in August. As my first Foldable i absolutely loved the experience but i continued to read about these phones being notoriously fragile hence i would absolutely baby my Z Fold 5. Three months in and i started noticing the hinge making this sound i wasn't used to and i also felt the phone wouldn't open completely. Although it was a very minor difference but it did alarm me. Just a week ago i open my Fold 5 and Bam. The inner display has a black line in the centre and my heart sank. I closed the phone and opened it a couple of times and eventually the touch stopped working and the more i opened and closed the hinge the worst it got. Eventually the inner display started flickering and turned green in the centre. All this happened in just one day and i had to run to O2 office to claim the warranty and they eventually replaced my phone. Mind you that the inner display had the protector intact and as i said i would absolutely baby my phone with the best case i could get.
Point is i am scared of Foldables now. It is a risky luxury but i have anxiety now everytime i open my Fold 5. If you want to get this phone without full damage cover warranty you might as well throw money in fire.
38 REPLIES 38
mando786
Explorer
Options
Are you from UK or somewhere else?
Because here in the UK i claimed warranty and had my phone replaced. I think your Z F 5 must be in warranty too
0 Likes
SahibImran
First Poster
Options
From UK bought sep 2023
0 Likes
mando786
Explorer
Options
Which carrier? Mine is O2. I found O2 to be really helpful. I believe you should visit any customer service centre of your carrier and explain the issue and claim the warranty.
0 Likes
Mat94
First Poster
Options

That also happened to my partner with her phone but like 2 weeks into having it and the phone stopped working middle screen 

0 Likes
Mat94
First Poster
Options

Are the folds covered when they smell electrical and won't turn back on my partners current issue

0 Likes
mando786
Explorer
Options
Exactly
As i said, fold phones are notoriously fragile
0 Likes
Autumn493
Student
Options

This is currently happening to me. Got my phone in August after my s22 ultras satellite went put a month after the warranty. Woke up to a black line down the middle and touch screen unusable. Currently on hold with Samsung 🫠

0 Likes
mando786
Explorer
Options
Well, i hope they replaced it for you
I can't wait for the S24 ultra to release so i can get rid of my fold 5
0 Likes
Autumn493
Student
Options

They had me take it to a repair shop in my area and it was fixed in about 2 hours for free. Which is cool but now I'm nervous about it happening again 

0 Likes
mando786
Explorer
Options
Me too, as i mentioned earlier about developing an anxiety using this phone. I keep opening and checking the inner display after every next hour just to be sure it's not broken again
0 Likes