Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23 refuses to start wireless charging

(Topic created on: 27-02-2023 11:57 AM)
BobMoss
Apprentice
Options
My wife got her new S23 2 weeks ago and is having problems with wireless charging. Every so often it just stops working. You put it onto a wireless charger and nothing happens, no messages, no acknowledgement that it's even trying to charge. Once this happens, the only way to fix it is a reboot. Once you reboot, it starts wireless charging as normal.

It doesn't stop charging part way through, if you put the phone on the charger it either starts working or nothing!. If it starts charging, it will charge OK until full. So it's not a temperature issue.

We have tried 4 different wireless chargers (a Samsung one, two from Amazon and an in-car one). They all work fine until the phone decides to stop recognising the chargers and then none work.
We have even tried wireless power sharing from my S23 Ultra - nothing until a reboot.

If we plug in a charging cable, it will start charging OK, but still won't wireless charge.
It can happen at any battery level, we've seen it at 46%, 65%, 85% and 96%.
My S23 ultra uses the same wireless chargers without issue. We still have my wife's S21 and that has never had issues with the same chargers. So I am 100% sure it's not a charger issue.

We are wondering if it's a hardware of software issue. If it's hardware we need to get the phone returned and replaced, if it's a software issue then we can perhaps wait for Samsung to fix it.

Anyone else and similar experience?
Thanks.
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's not good @BobMoss 

Can you put the phone into Safe Mode > Safe Mode  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-my-galaxy-device-in-safe-mode/ turns off downloaded apps and themes etc which may highlight an app or theme that's causing conflict. 

Also try > Clear Cache Files from the phone's System Partition Section  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-clear-the-cache-on-my-device/ You may need to insert your earphones or hook upto a powered On Laptop to access the Clear Partition Section. This may help with lag or stutters as this clears the phone of old/unused or broken cache files.There is also a Repair Apps option in the Menu System too. 

If that does not help then run the diagnostic tool in your Samsung Members app.

Unfortunately if none of the above helps and as a last resort a back up and Factory Reset does not help then you should look at having the phone swapped out under any relevant Cooling Off Period.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
This is the s21 charging paged. Go into settings and search for charging also check all the cables are attached as it might not be the charger and could be the cables.Screenshot_20230227_133604_Device care.jpg
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
As well as everything @BandOfBrothers has said.
What case are you using. If its a wallet style or a thick protective case, this can affect wireless charging.
Some may have magnets in them that can cause problems
Babishko
Big Cheese
Options
I would contact whoever you got the phone from @BobMoss with a view to getting the phone either repaired or replaced. You have been very thorough and exhaustive in your efforts to solve/diagnose this problem. If your Wife's phone has this issue when it is not wearing a case, then maybe whoever you got the device from can diagnose what the problem is and fix it, but it sounds to me as if your device is genuinely faulty and causing your wife and yourself stress that you both don't deserve or need. 👍
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

After having wireless coil misalignment problems with my previous S22 Ultra if you having the above types of issues and they are recoccuring then return the phone whilst you can and get an exchange. The phone is likely faulty and it's very unlikely a software patch will fix it.

I've had one or two times over the past month that my S23 Ultra has refused to wireless OR wired charge. A reboot seemed to fix it and I've not had the problem since. If it's reoccuring then it's faulty.

Georgepie
First Poster
Options

Put my S23+ in Safe Mode and started wireless charging again.

How do I go about pinpointing the app or config setting that is affecting the wireless charging?

Thank you !

UPDATE:  It was the Fast Wireless Charging setting. I had turned it on and -maybe- the charger can't handle it. Turned it off and wireless charging is working again.

Colotom01
Student
Options

I have occasionally had the same problem with my S23+.  Other than this bug the phone is terrific.  It's not enough for me to bother with replacing it, just annoying.  

0 Likes