Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does 5g keep disconnecting?

(Topic created on: 17-03-2023 10:45 AM)
Redmarker
Journeyman
Options

Due to local network issues I've had to lock my S22+ to only use a 5G band (N71 SA)

This is working great, except fairly frequently the phone simply disconnects from the network for no apparent reason for a few seconds at a time.  No change in signal strength is noted... it can have 5 bars of 5G showing then suddenly disconnect for a couple seconds then reconnect.

Anyone know why it's doing this and/or how to prevent it?

Oddly, if I turn the screen off when the 5G disconnects it doesn't reconnect unless I turn the screen back on.  Was thinking maybe some sort of battery saver feature... but the app I'm using is exempted from  battery management and 5G is cutting off even when on AC power.

8 REPLIES 8
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Which app are you using, that lets you lock it to a certain cellular band?
0 Likes
unknown4now
Explorer
Options
Sounds more local provider issue then anything
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
5g is good when it works but the problem is the lack of masts. Also the range isn't as good for 5g compared with 4g so signal strength or loss of signal will be a more frequent occurrence. Similar with 3g Vs 4g. The lower bands have a longer range have more masts and tend to be more stable and battery friendly. I tend to not bother with 5g and set my phone in network settings, mobile network to 2g, 3g, 4g which can reduce connection connectivity problems. Things might improve as more 5g masts get installed and reduce connection black spots. Hope this helps
0 Likes
arianwen27
Pioneer
Options
5g is set to disable when the screen is off yes, this is a power saving feature as you shouldn't need 5g speeds for background data. You can disable this using the thermal guardian app in good guardians (official Samsung apps). Also the bars show you connection to the call and text signals, not data. Data is separate and can use separate network protocols, even separate towers sometimes.
0 Likes
Redmarker
Journeyman
Options

I wish Samsung wouldn't make these false assumptions about what we need.  If I leave both LTE band 71 and N71 SA enabled, 5G won't stay connected it switches back and forth causing frequent latency drops... 500ms to 1000ms ping every time it switches.

I'm not concerned with raw average download speeds like they seem to falsely assume.   5G has about half the latency where I am.   So I use 2263 band selection utility to lock phone to N71 SA exclusively.

But then the phone keeps disconnecting for no apparent reason, there's no change in signal strength yet the phone just completely disconnects like clockwork displaying 🚫 in the status bar.  As if it's still running some sloppy afterthought code that's attempting to revert to LTE but isn't aware the radio has that disabled.   I suspected that this was intentional but very buggy and also inconsiderate...

Your post seems to verify that Samsung does intentionally screw up the radios with intentions based on false assumptions and also sloppily coded.

0 Likes
Redmarker
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for pointing me to Thermal Guardian

Wouldn't have found it without you.

I'm trying it out now.

BTW, the setting I see in Thermal Guardian says "Turn off 5G if the data usage is low when screen is ON"

I unchecked that....

Oh *****.

It still turns off 5G when the screen is ON 

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Redmarker
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for pointing me to Thermal Guardian

Wouldn't have found it without you.

I'm trying it out now.

BTW, the setting I see in Thermal Guardian says "Turn off 5G if the data usage is low when screen is ON"

I unchecked that....

Oh *****.

It still turns off 5G when the screen is ON 

Any other ideas?

Is there a utility that can prevent 5G from being turned off?  IDC about battery saving or automatic thermal management if it means the phone is rendered useless to me

0 Likes
Redmarker
Journeyman
Options

signal is fine,

the S22+ is turning off 5G apparently intentionally for some reason

I'm a bit confused because I try to search the web for how to prevent the S22+ from constantly disconnecting itself from a good signal and all I seem to find are guides on how to disable 5G.

I don't want to disable 5G, I want it to stay connected.  Voice over 5G is superior to voice over LTE and the 5G data has lower latency.

0 Likes