Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Car doesn't recognise S22 ultra phone when using Android Auto

(Topic created on: 27-04-2022 08:45 AM)
J1000
Apprentice
Options

Hi All,

Hoping someone has a fix.  I recently purchased a S22 Ultra.  Now I'm left feeling like I shouldn't have.  

The issue:

I'm connecting my phone by USB cable to my car.  (I've tried this in two different cars - Mercedes 2017 E-class and a Volvo XC60 - both have the manufacturer headsets - so nothing modified there).  Neither car recognises the Ultra S22 (by cable) and so Android Auto does not even start.

I can't connect Andoid Auto by Bluetooth.  I can connect the phone by bluetooth for calls etc... but this is not via Android Auto.  

I've already tried:

1. deleting the app (reset back to factory version - as you can't delete it off the phone)

2. updating the app via google play store

3. clearing cache and deleting storage

4. removing permissions / and allowing them again.

Is anyone experiencing this problem - i.e. the CAR not recognising the phone for Android Auto?

Clearly to me, this is an issue with the phone.... maybe the phone is not sending / using the right protocol to connect with the car (i.e. the signal the S22 ultra sends back to the car via the cable (or something like that)).   

I've read elsewhere that others have solved this by buying a wireless adaptor for their car and bypassing the cable method - but this kind of defeats the purpose of having a flagship phone!!  

I very much doubt this is an android app issue.  The S22 should be backward compatible with apps - if it wasn't then no old apps would work until an update was released and that clearly isn't the case with other apps.  So I can't see how this is an Android Auto fix that's required.... its a fix that Samsung should apply to their devices.

Am I the only one with this particular issue? 

Does anyone have any fixes to this?  Can Samsung recommend anything else?

fyi - my old phone worked perfectly with both cars (cable method)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
J1000
Apprentice
Options

Hi All,

SOLVED!!  Thought I'd update -  Using the Samsung S22 Ultra cable that came box, I've now put a cheap £7 USBA to USBC adaptor on the end and plugged this into the car port.  Car recognised the phone 1st time!  

Clearly there is an issue with the protocol the S22Ultra is using in terms of data transfer.  Samsung I'm pretty sure you could write a code fix for this!  I would make a guess that the S22Ultra doesn't recognise the other cables when plugged in as appropriate to transfer the right data to the car.  I very much doubt its on the car end, as that's a simple adaptor.  Other cables I've been using quite successfully for Android Auto with other phones don't work with the S22 Ultra.   

For others who want to try - I bought a cheap USB3.0 (A to C) adaptor from Amazon.  I used this one "UGREEN USB C Adaptor Type C Female Adapter to USB 3.0 A Male"  cost £7.  I'm sure there are other makes that will work also, so I'm not advertising this....nor affiliated! it just worked for me, so thought I'd share.

Hope the above helps you out 

View solution in context

40 REPLIES 40
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

Android auto’s website says, “Wireless connection is only supported when paired between certain devices and certain vehicles.” So, wireless connection it will be tricky on the best of the situations.

On wired connections:

I can connect it to VW GTI, I know that this is no help to you but just to show the phone can do wired connections.

Have you tried a different USB cable? If you have more than one USB port, have you check on the manual that you are using the right USB port? It could be that Android Auto is only supported by a specific port.

It could be that the car OS and the S22 Ultra have some incompatibility problem. How old was your old phone? Which android version and App version was running? Do you have all the updates on the current phone, firmware and apps?

Is the cars’ OS too old? Can it be updated? I can get some updates on my car system by connecting to VW site.

J1000
Apprentice
Options

Hi Reylob,

thanks for update... yes have tried multiple USB cables so ruling that out.... these work with the previous phone (Huawei mate 20 pro).  I'm connected to the right port too :smiling-face:

The Mercedes is 2017 - but had a software recently.  the Volvo is only 1 year old, so should be latest.  

I've only just purchased the S22 ultra - 10days old... and have updated the phone to latest updates

I'll check and see if I can update the car OS.  Volvo is going in for a service soon so can ask them to do that.

cheers

efx
Pathfinder
Options
Hi j1000, you probably know there's a setup menu for Android auto under Settings, Advanced features.
Thought I'd mention it as I didn't see it in the text above. Says somewhere in there that some 2021 cars can use wireless connections, doesn't mention cars before that date. So does sound like the Volvo at the very least should work with USB.
I can't use it as my car is not compatible, unfortunately (and is only 6 months old. But I knew that.).
Good luck solving it.
luisdev
Student
Options

I have the same issue with my 2018 Mazda CX5 (with Android Audio Kit installed). My old Samsung S10E connects to Android Auto via USB cable and works great. But when I plug my new Samsung S22 Ultra into the same USB cable I can't connect to Android Auto on the car.

Solution
J1000
Apprentice
Options

Hi All,

SOLVED!!  Thought I'd update -  Using the Samsung S22 Ultra cable that came box, I've now put a cheap £7 USBA to USBC adaptor on the end and plugged this into the car port.  Car recognised the phone 1st time!  

Clearly there is an issue with the protocol the S22Ultra is using in terms of data transfer.  Samsung I'm pretty sure you could write a code fix for this!  I would make a guess that the S22Ultra doesn't recognise the other cables when plugged in as appropriate to transfer the right data to the car.  I very much doubt its on the car end, as that's a simple adaptor.  Other cables I've been using quite successfully for Android Auto with other phones don't work with the S22 Ultra.   

For others who want to try - I bought a cheap USB3.0 (A to C) adaptor from Amazon.  I used this one "UGREEN USB C Adaptor Type C Female Adapter to USB 3.0 A Male"  cost £7.  I'm sure there are other makes that will work also, so I'm not advertising this....nor affiliated! it just worked for me, so thought I'd share.

Hope the above helps you out 

Daz_S22
Explorer
Options

I'm chasing Samsung for a definitive answer on what is happening with this major and wide spread problem.

Daz_S22
Explorer
Options

Hi - thank you for that advice. I have a Galaxy S22 and also could no longer use/view Android Auto through our Alpine car  media centre. I also noted that I could not interface with the phone streaming Apps (Spotify, YouTube etc).

I purchased a USB3.0  A to C adaptor. This has restored the interface with the music Apps, but unfortunately still a black screen for Android Auto, so I think you're onto something with the adaptor that I hope Samsung/Google can use to develop a general comprehensive solution - and I hope that happens soon as driving without navigation systems is so tedious!

JamesGl
First Poster
Options

Hey All... Been dealing with this for... 2 months now. Trying to talk to Pioneer, Samsung, and Android Auto to get some feedback on anything related is rough. Got their sale and then they don't care. At least that's how majority of us consumers feel.

Anyway, thanks to a poster on Android Auto forum... this worked for me. I was so happy, I almost cried. Pretty sure the Andoid Auto / Samsung team is on an extended vacation.

Good Luck and hope it works for you all as well!

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-7-7-1219-release/

Daz_S22
Explorer
Options

I think you're onto something here... but the message I got is that the APK update wasn't compatible with my phone (S22)...   not sure how to find the update that is compatible...??

Thanks you for posting this though it's the most valuable lead I'm yet to read!

0 Likes