Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20+ Camera app bug: HDR is always on despite option beeing off

(Topic created on: 11-04-2021 03:51 PM)
Eneen
Journeyman
Options

I've tried all camera modes and with current april update and despite of HDR option beeing off it's still applied in standard mode. It's ok only with pro and 64MP mode. Could somebody try to confirm?

I've also got S10 and same thing there.

30 REPLIES 30
AndrewL
Options

@Eneen: I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. When I open the Camera app, select 'Photo', tap the cog symbol and toggle off 'Auto HDR' it is no longer applied automatically to standard shots (HDR symbol disappears from the top right corner). With Auto HDR toggle off in the settings, can you double check to see if 'HDR' is visible in the top right of the preview window, as per the above? 

0 Likes
Eneen
Journeyman
Options

Indeed, symbol disappears, but HDR is still applied. Just try to take a photo of high contrast scene. It is taken and then when you open photo in gallery you can see HDR being applied. I will record quick video to show this. It's ok when I set size to 64MP or take a photo using pro mode.

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
In my experience, using auto HDR seems to make the image look blurry and without it, pictures are similar but sharper. I typically disable auto HDR.
0 Likes
Eneen
Journeyman
Options

@Joeeye, currently it's possible to turn HDR on and off, no option to choose auto. I think it's gone after latest update.
@AndrewL, take a look at photos below. First is with HDR on, second HDR off and third Pro mode:
20210411_172452_3.jpg

As you can see first two are really similar, some minor differences are due to fact that I shoot from hand and needed to turn off HDR.

Originals are here to check: https://filebin.net/ejfytvfhl9o0uaxq

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Thanks for that @Eneen , HDR works to capture more details in the bright and dark areas which is why some parts of the HDR have more definition. At the moment this can only be applied automatically by having the feature enable from the Camera Settings. 

0 Likes
Eneen
Journeyman
Options

@TessM wrote:

Thanks for that @Eneen , HDR works to capture more details in the bright and dark areas which is why some parts of the HDR have more definition. At the moment this can only be applied automatically by having the feature enable from the Camera Settings. 

Sure, that's ok to have it applied automatically when on. Problem is I can't turn it OFF completely by toggling switch into off position (as shown on middle picture). Funny thing is that when taking photo with HDR off I often get notification that I should turn HDR on to get highlights fixed... and then phone is smarter then me and "fixes" photo anyway, sigh. It wouldn't be a problem to use Pro mode but it doesn't work with third camera, so I loose 64MP camera option. Actually Pro mode works quite well and congrats Samsung on turning off excessive sharpening there.

On S10 I've got same problem. It's still possible to select off/when needed/always on there, but HDR is always applied, even when option is set to off.

I've also got S8 and it's ok there, when I turn HDR off it's just off.

EDIT: looks like this bug is quite old:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s10-series/hdr-applied-even-when-it-s-set-to-off/m-p/9844...
Really, please, fix this.

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Oh, I got it now @Eneen. I have tested this on my S20+ as it seems to work fine (I'm also getting a message to enable this whilst taking the picture as I tried to capture a really bright picture with shadows so I can notice the differences), so I'm not too sure what is going on here. Can you please confirm if all your apps and the phone software are up to date? You can check if there are any pending updates for the phone from Settings> Software update> Download and install and for the apps you will need to check the Galaxy Store and the Play Store> My apps> Update all. 

0 Likes
Eneen
Journeyman
Options

@TessM thx!
Yes, all apps are up to date, latest EU update.

Yes, you need to take a picture with heavily overexposed parts, best is to tap/focus on dark part of a picture. Then if you quickly open the picture in the gallery via the shortcut in the camera app just after taking the photo you will notice HDR being actually applied as it takes a while for camera to process. I promised to send video but have problem holding both phones (have got only one camera clip). Will do it but be patient.

0 Likes
Ratzvogel
Voyager
Options

I have a similar problem with my news S21 and with my S20+ before.

An effect is applied to all photos afterwards, which is equivalent to equalizing the colors, like HDR, but also the movement, like motion capture.

1.) An effect like HDR is applied
2.) My child's facial expression changes.

Clearing the camera app memory: does not help, HDR, scene optimizer off, motion capture off, does not help.

However, with a 64 Mbyte image, the effect is still there, but less pronounced.

The attached video shows the HDR effect. 

The Problem doesnt occur in Pro Mode.

Kamera App is 11.0.02.96. No App or Phone Updates available

0 Likes