Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A71 VPN (PPTP/L2TP) - not working on 4g/LTE/cellular data

(Topic created on: 03-01-2021 12:18 AM)
Members_e8DPpxR
Apprentice
Options

I`m having some troubles connecting to VPN when using cellular data (4g/LTE)

I`m using Samsung Galaxy A71 (SM-A715F).
Firmware version:A715FXXU3ATK1
One UI version: 2.5
Android version: 10

I have been trying to connect to my personal VPN using PPTP and L2TP from this phone. I know that configuration is correct because i am using it on my laptop and other phones. Thay have zero issues connecting to VPN on 4g/LTE.
If i connect my Samsung A71 to  wi-fi (it can be hot-spot from other phone, office or home wi-fi network) i can connect to my VPN - without any issues.
When i use cellular data - phone is not able to connect to VPN. Both PPTP and L2TP - does not work.
Same problem with the laptop which is connected to my Samsung A71 phone wi-fi hot-spot.
I know for sure that my provider does not block my VPN connection, cause it works perfectly on the same sim card on an old moto g5s or huawei nova. 
It looks like something is blocking the ability to connect to VPN when using cellular data on Samsung A71 phone.

Best regards

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
John Patounas
Journeyman
Options

I have the same exact problem with my new Galaxy S21 Ultra. I need VPN and i cannot work without it.

@SAMSUNG Please help on this.

0 Likes
Robert Elliottmy45uy
First Poster
Options
Y 610MM 22nd 6735a55y6677qqs
0 Likes
mikekay1
Journeyman
Options

Newest update didnt fix it 😞

0 Likes
DustyTurtleDip
First Poster
Options

Galaxy S20 FE 5G

Same issue but working well with: Pixel 3XL, Huawei P20, Galaxy S20 on different providers. (Bell, Videotron, Fido).

Tested on :

Two OpenVPN setup having different configurations

My office VPN (GlobalProtect) wich is working on more then 4500 devices. (Windows 7 and 10 and iPhone)

PPTP and L2TP (Synology)

I bought two Galaxy S20 FE 5G (SM-G781W) and both are having the issue. They can connect to VPN when phones are connected to WiFi, but isn't working on Mobile data... Tried with 5G disabled and enabled.

Im under the impression that the phones are unable to use the provided dns issued by the the VPN servers.

From time to time, while connected to the VPN and on mobile data, I manage to browse the web at a very slow speed. What's my ip result in (My WAN IP). Not sure why but I have more luck when trying bing instead of google..

Anyway, Samsung there's an issue with your phone's and you should at least recognize the issue..

0 Likes
mikekay1
Journeyman
Options

Please fix this, I used to have direct access into my home network using a commercial edgerouter which is useless now because it just wont work with this phone.  

I wish we could post our job titles here so that they could take this issue seriously, I am an IT Network and Database Admin for a large scale organization.

I have done all the tests just please fix it, your techs have no idea what I'm even talking about when I say VPN, they want to send me the tutorial on how to set it up on Android 11... 😐

Members_9lIs1cW
Student
Options

Same issue here with Galaxy S20.

I'm also an IT😐

0 Likes
Members_9lIs1cW
Student
Options

For me it was an hidden configuration problem under connection> mobile network > access point name.

I can choose between to points : 'Orange World' and 'Orange Pro'. This first was having the problem. The second works.

0 Likes
Macca3
First Poster
Options

Just to expand on this, I believe if you view both access points you will see that the "APN Protocol" option is set to IPv4 on the one that works and IPV6 on the one that doesn't.  It's looking like mobile providers are migrating users over to IPV6 in the background. 

To fix the issue I had to copy the existing Access Point Name and APN because I couldn't edit it, I then changed the "APN Protocol" to IPV4 and that fixed my issue, my PPTP VPN now passes data.

eduard15pr
First Poster
Options

Some 4G LTE network works native on IPv6 , may be the VPN connection works only on IPv6 and is not compatible. This is the reason may be work on wifi networks but not on 4G LTE network. 

doorman
First Poster
Options

I have the same issues on my new samsung a52 5G.  Is there any solution to use a tethered computer with a VPN other than switching back to my Pixel 3?

0 Likes