Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A71 VPN (PPTP/L2TP) - not working on 4g/LTE/cellular data

(Topic created on: 03-01-2021 12:18 AM)
Members_e8DPpxR
Apprentice
Options

I`m having some troubles connecting to VPN when using cellular data (4g/LTE)

I`m using Samsung Galaxy A71 (SM-A715F).
Firmware version:A715FXXU3ATK1
One UI version: 2.5
Android version: 10

I have been trying to connect to my personal VPN using PPTP and L2TP from this phone. I know that configuration is correct because i am using it on my laptop and other phones. Thay have zero issues connecting to VPN on 4g/LTE.
If i connect my Samsung A71 to  wi-fi (it can be hot-spot from other phone, office or home wi-fi network) i can connect to my VPN - without any issues.
When i use cellular data - phone is not able to connect to VPN. Both PPTP and L2TP - does not work.
Same problem with the laptop which is connected to my Samsung A71 phone wi-fi hot-spot.
I know for sure that my provider does not block my VPN connection, cause it works perfectly on the same sim card on an old moto g5s or huawei nova. 
It looks like something is blocking the ability to connect to VPN when using cellular data on Samsung A71 phone.

Best regards

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
you should contact your vpn provider. this is a problem with the setup of their service and not the Samsung device
0 Likes
Members_e8DPpxR
Apprentice
Options

That is not the case. My vpn is configured on microtic router in my office. Configuration is correct. I know that because it works with all other devices that i possess (Two other android phones, android tablet, windows 10 laptop, iphone).
All those devices are able to connect to my VPN using PPTP or L2TP protocol, on wi-fi and using cellular data (4g/LTE/3G), exapt iphone, it is using L2TP protocol - but it still works fine. 
The only situation when i am not able to connect to VPN - is using my Samsung Galaxy A71 on cellular data (4g/LTE/3G).
It works on wi-fi, but - this is not what i expect it to do.

Sometimes i need to get connected to my VPN on the road using ellular data (4g/LTE/3G), hot-spoting it to my windows laptop and then connecting from laptop to my personal VPN. As i have already mentioned - it has nothing to do with third party VPN services. This is my personal VPN tunnel to my personal/office network.

I have seen topics in which people report having simular problems with their S9, S10, S20. And that had been fixed only with firmware update.
Here are some of these topics:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-fe-galaxy-s20-galaxy/problem-vpn-ipsec-on-mobile-data...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s9-s9/vpn-pptp-broken-with-hotspot-galaxy-s9-against-with...

GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
It could be a firmware issue, however it could still be a setup issue with the vpn. The A71 could be using different protocols to your other devices. The mere fact it works in WiFi but not on cellular draws me to that conclusion.
however it's probably best following the other threads you've posted. Samsung as a company do not feature or respond as a presence.
0 Likes
Members_e8DPpxR
Apprentice
Options

It is a firmware issue, if all options work on any other device but Samsung Galaxy A71. By the way, I have tried same VPN credentials on other A71, with totally differen operator - and the result is same:
- You can VPN if you are on wi-fi.
- You can`t VPN if you are on LTE/cellular/4g
- You can`t have other devices connected to VPN if using wi-fi hot spot from A71 phone which is on LTE/cellular/4g. 

That is a fact.
I have tried everything including factory reset. 
It is definitely firmware issue, or there is an option somewhere in the menu that dissalows it to happen.

2021/01/13 - no solution

mikekay1
Journeyman
Options

I have the new Samsung 20 FE and can confirm the above user is 100% correct. I have tried my wifes phone and login works, even my old A8 on Android 9 works fine. I am not sure if it is an Android 10 issue or just a Samsung issue, but it NEEDS to be fixed please it basically makes my phone useless I was ready to return it but amidst this whole pandemic we seem to be in that is providing quite hard to do!

Samsung please fix!

AleGor
Student
Options

S21 Ultra. I have exactly the same. VPN doesn't work over LTE !

mikekay1
Journeyman
Options

Doesnt the S21 Ultra already have Android 11 or OneUI 3.0? If so that aucks because it means they didnt fix it.

AleGor
Student
Options

Even OneUI 3.1
I am trying to contact support. But I don't think they understand the problem. I can't work without a VPN. Any ideas ? 

mikekay1
Journeyman
Options

That is so fail, here I was thinking it would solve the problem!