Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to register a fingerprint on A52 5G. Software issue?

(Topic created on: 29-08-2021 03:36 PM)
jkj123898dk
First Poster
Options

I got my new A52 5G yesterday. I couldn't register a fingerprint so I updated to the latest available firmware (as of today).

Still no luck. Super frustrating!

I can reliably get to register up to 20% (first it goes to 12% then 15% then 18% then 20%). After trying some more,  I get the message:  "Couldn't register your fingerprint" and something about a screen protector (I am not using any though). 

DSCF5652.JPG

Sometimes I get the message right away after reaching 20% but sometimes I can have many tries until I get the message. I managed twice (out of at least 50 attempts) to get it to 31% (from 20% directly to 31%) but I was not doing anything special.

I have another phone next to me (Xiaomi) and the fingerprint reader works perfectly so I know it does not come from me.

I have checked the internet and it seems quite a frequent issue with Samsung phones on many models. There are a bunch of random "tips" to make it work. Tried a few but still no luck. According to the users in those threads, it seems like a software issue. It is weird that it is still happening with a recent phone like the A52...

Does anyone else have this issue? It is going to get solved? Or should I return it and maybe get another brand?

7 REPLIES 7
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Check that there is no fin protection on the screen
Try going settings and remove all instances of fingerprints give screen a good clean and setup fingerprint again try not to use under sunlight when adding fingerprint as biometrics is photo sensitive
0 Likes
bailsie
Student
Options

I agree. It's not the type of thing you check before buying. I had an S7 previously and the fingerprint worked fine.  Can Samsung fix this in software?

0 Likes
anarchyrabbit
First Poster
Options

Exact same issue for me - getting stuck on 20% when registering. Tried with and without the screen protector. Eventually I tried to to wipe the system cache partition as per option 9 on this article How to fix Galaxy A52/A52 5G fingerprint scanner issue | Slashdigit

This worked for me and it now works with the screen protector.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@jkj123898dk: If you're still having issues when registering your fingerprints, then please check out the handy troubleshooting guide below.

My fingerprint scanner isn't working | Samsung UK

0 Likes
SomeRndName
First Poster
Options

Same for me, had the 4G before... No problems at all... Now I have the A52s 5G and it's nearly impossible to register a fingerprint... Even without any screen protector... Sometimes it's working to rotate the phone and try to register the thumb from 180 degrees turned. It's clearly not a device issue. I have 2x A52s here... Both have the same problem... It's either a hardware problem for all/multiples or it's a software bug... Afaik it's only a new SoC chip .. it has to be a software problem... Please Samsung fix this ASAP!!! Hell, was there no beta test for the phone?

0 Likes
ElleD
First Poster
Options

I have just had this problem on my new-today A52S and a frustratingly long conversation with a support desk staff member who,  having checked laboriously that I had followed all of the online support instructions before using the chat, wanted me to hard reset the device and misunderstood most of what I was saying.  I solved the problem in the end thus:

Instead of holding the finger pad on the sensor and then rolling it around whilst in contact with the sensor, in the manner of someone taking a fingerprint, I placed the pad on the sensor centrally then in quick succession lifted it off and tapped the tip, sides and base until the pattern recognition was 100% 

I fully expected this not to work when I needed to use the fingerprint for biometric unlocking etc but it works perfectly and reliably (so far).  Bizarre but this suggests that Samsung need to amend their instructions to users after doing a bit more testing to resolve this.  

0 Likes
BastianSuivera
Student
Options

Hi, I just did it after some 2h of reading and doing all sorts of stupid things, I did the clear cache partition and it didn't do anything

At the end what worked for me was, I have sweaty hands and thought I had to have the fingers all clean and dry to set up fingerprint, I was trying right after taking a shower which is when my hands are the driest and it didn't work at all, I could BARELY make it to like 49%

It wasn't until I got stressed and let my fingers start sweating that it started to work, I helped with some saliva on my fingers and it's natural sweat, also alternating left and right thumb and ofc using different parts of the thumb, sides, middle, tip, the sides of the tip, the sides of the middle, until it finally worked.

Fck Samsung. They should've fixed this thing in a software update years ago but anyway, lemme know if this works for any of u

0 Likes