Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A3 (2017) notifications and full charge no longer waking screen

(Topic created on: 18-08-2020 03:25 PM)
CupcakeCat
First Poster
Options

So for some reason as of today, I've noticed that notifications that are set to "urgent" and pop up on screen, are no longer waking the screen, I'm only getting the sound notification. As well as this, when my phone is now fully charged, I noticed the screen no longer turns itself on to indicate this. I'm not using "always on display", never have done.

For some reason however, text messages are still causing my screen to wake upon receiving the notification, but nothing else.

I have no idea why this is happening as it was fine just yesterday. I don't believe I've changed any settings that could have affected this. Haven't updated my phone recently or anything either, it's on Android 8 which I believe is as high as it can go, and has been for at least a year or so now.

I have tried restarting my phone, as well as checking to make sure notifications are set to appear on the lock screen (they are).

This is also happening when an alarm is ringing, the screen won't turn on at all automatically even though the alarm is ringing. I have had this issue once before but it went away on its own so I assumed it was just a glitch with the app, but the fact it's happening across every app now makes me think it's the phone.

I know there are apps that wake the screen when receiving a notification, but I'd rather not have to download anything when everything was working fine until just today.

Any suggestions? I'm mostly annoyed by the fact the screen is no longer turning itself on when fully charged any more, as well as the alarm issue.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
AndrewL
Options

@CupcakeCat: Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Galaxy A3 (2017). Can you start by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons together for around 10 seconds until the device restarts, as this will refresh the software and address any temporary issues that might be affecting the screen wake up. Now, go to Settings > Lock Screen and Security > Notifications > On > Hide Content > Off > Notification Icons Only > Off > Show Notifications From > All apps. If you go to Settings > Apps > Clock > Notifications, can you make sure that all available options are toggled on, and it is set up to Show Content on the Lock Screen. It might also be worth checking Settings > Sounds and Vibrations > Do Not Disturb to make sure that this option is toggled off, and not scheduled to turn on. 

0 Likes
CupcakeCat
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, I have already tried this and it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Can confirm everything in the lock screen settings is as you advised as well, and "do not disturb" is not on and is not scheduled to turn on. As for the clock, I should have specified that I'm using an app from the Play Store from my alarm, but none of the notifications for it are turned off or otherwise out of the ordinary.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this, I've gone through all the recommended troubleshooting but can't seem to solve it. It's very weird especially that my screen no longer wants to turn on when fully charged any more, but it's kind of bizarre that texts and phone calls still turn on the display.

Edit: I just realised I no longer have the "battery full" notification icon when my phone is plugged in and full, figured this might have something to do with the screen no longer turning on when full. When into my system apps and went to "system UI", and the "battery full" notification was set to either "medium" or "high" on importance I think, so I set it to urgent. Still not getting that notification icon though, and the screen still won't turn on when at 100%. No idea why the notification for it had changed at all (assuming it had), I definitely hadn't done it myself and I've had this phone since 2017 and never had this issue before.

Edit 2: So I noticed when my phone was on the charger, it still said "charging: 100%" on the lock screen, and the battery icon still had the lightning bolt. Decided to leave it on the charger for a further 10-15 minutes past when it first reached 100%, and it finally lit up the screen with the battery full notification, and the lightning bolt icon disappeared. Kinda weird, since it's always immediately stated the battery is full once it's reached 100% before, at least as far as I remember.

So that's one issue sorted at least, but I still haven't figured out how to get my other notifications to turn my display on again.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Can you check if the same is happening to the rest of the apps, including the native Clock/Alarm one? Have you made any change recently on the phone and are all the apps up to date?

0 Likes
CupcakeCat
First Poster
Options

I don't seem to be having issues with the pre-installed apps, no. Messages are still causing my phone to turn on the display when I receive notifications, as aforementioned. The only other app that seems to be able to turn on the phone screen with notifications that wasn't pre-installed is Pokemon Go for some reason, from what I've tested.

I can't think of any changes I've made to the phone recently that should have affected this. I updated Chrome and Gmail yesterday, but aside from that, I haven't changed anything in the phone's settings, aside from fiddling about with the notifications for some apps AFTER this issue started happening. Not all my apps are up to date, I'll admit, but the "important" ones are (e.g. the Galaxy store, device maintenance, my files, all the Google apps, etc.). There's plenty of pre-installed apps I don't use so I never bother to update them and disable them where I can, such as facebook, linkedin, hangouts, upday, etc.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Let's try this:

Go to Settings> Digital wellbeing> Notification> Go for all apps> Allow the apps that you would like.

0 Likes
CupcakeCat
First Poster
Options

I can't find anything titled "digital wellbeing" in my settings. Under the "notifications" section however, I do have all apps enabled to show notifications, aside from the few I have blocked.

Thanks for all your help, but I am starting to suspect that maybe this has actually been going on for a while, and I only really noticed because of the issues with the alarm not turning on the screen (which has since seemed to resolve itself again, so I assume it was just coincidence that the glitch in the app occurred again when getting these other issues), and my display seemingly not turning on once fully charged. I will note I have had another minor issue with my battery lately (past few months), it will randomly gain a percent while not plugged in, before dropping again. This is fairly infrequent, happening anywhere from once a week to once or twice a month. I haven't been too worried because it isn't draining any faster than normal, and nothing else seems abnormal. I have a feeling it not being "fully charged" at 100% until it was left on the charger for 10-15 minutes extra might be related to the other weird issue with the percentage I've been having with it. I assume maybe the battery needs to be re-calibrated or something, I've never let it drain to 0% and rarely let it drop below 40%. I had a security update for my phone last month I believe, and I'm starting to think that this is perhaps what has caused the issues with my notifications now.

The "urgent" notifications will still pop up from the status bar while I have my screen on/actively using the phone, but will no longer turn on the display if the phone is idle, unless it's a pre-installed app such as messages or calendar. I have to assume the "pop up on screen" for "urgent" actually just means popping up WHEN the screen is on, rather than turning the screen itself on to show the notification. This isn't really something I noticed beforehand, so I'm not sure if perhaps the wording for the "urgent" notification setting has changed or not, but I have no idea what else may be causing this issue at this point, especially since the other two issues have resolved themselves now, I can only assume that maybe the update changed something.

0 Likes