Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One UI 2.0 the Good & Bad so far

(Topic created on: 01-11-2019 02:48 PM)
BenGinders
Helping Hand
Options

Let get talking about One UI 2.0...

What are your favourite changes to the new One UI as well as the not so good changes..

I have to say as a whole I am impressed with the new polished One UI, even in its (Pre mistake release) Beta stages, it is very stable.

Ok for my favourite changes are:

:smiling-face: The new Media & Devices shortcuts in the notification tray.. makes my Smart home even easier to access

:smiling-face: The new camera layout with easy acces filter/ Zoom shortcuts

:smiling-face: The New Gestures for Navigation

:smiling-face: The battery life is loads better

The not so Good

:face-with-rolling-eyes: I would have liked to have seen more customisation e.g full icon packs not just Samsung apps or even just icon masks like the ones in developer settings.

:face-with-rolling-eyes: Changes to lock screen colour & other personalisations don't apply till after restart

OK so now it's YOUR turn so have some fun, and remember everyone is entitled to have their own view on what is good and bad, we all like different things (which is why Samsung has a hard job of making us all happy :winking-face:

On my S10+ powered by Android 10 improved by One UI 2.0,
Ben Ginders
66 REPLIES 66
BenGinders
Helping Hand
Options

I really do like the devices shortcut as I was never able to see my hue bulbs and other smart devices without going into specific apps also all the media and connected devices filledy notification tray.

The notification tray for me should only be for notifications..messages etc.. not connected devices media. 

Having the separate section gives devices and media it's own area and leaves the tray clear for notifications

Ben Ginders
0 Likes
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options
The notifications tray is for more than notifications, hence all those toggles up there.

It's frustrating now when I want to quickly change audio output.
I can understand people not liking the clutter, but choices would be good. A bit more customisation - dont wanna see that device there, have an option to hide it.

Also, pretty sure hue bulbs and things were gathered in one app on Android 9 too - smart things app has been around for a while for all that.
0 Likes
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options

In fact I've just realised it's even worse than I originally thought. 

I thought the devices shortcut was opening into the smart things app, but no its opening into a new additional step that displays the same things that the smart things app displays.

Tapping something in that devices list is just taking me to the smart things app, so I don't see the point in that extra step. 

0 Likes
BenGinders
Helping Hand
Options

Hi @ryamoo 

Rest assured I am not saying your opinion is wrong, it is all personal preference and 

I agree that the user should have the choice as we all use our phones in different ways. 

Smart Things has been available for a while correct, previously I would have to access the app drawer > locate the app and open> find and switch on the required smart device.

Now I just expand the quick panal>select media> switch on the device. Whilst it's the same amount of steps  it is now quicker due to not having to search for the app.

When I refer to the notification tray  I mean the gray section below the toggles etc, when I pull down the tray I only want to see message notifications etc not media/device actions and toggles (again personal preference).

Maybe being able to pin certain media/device toggles in the same area would be a good suggestion to allow that 1 step action for device switching etc.

Ben Ginders
0 Likes
stanleywinston
Journeyman
Options

@BenGinders wrote:

Hi @ryamoo 

Rest assured I am not saying your opinion is wrong, it is all personal preference and 

I agree that the user should have the choice as we all use our phones in different ways. 

Smart Things has been available for a while correct, previously I would have to access the app drawer > locate the app and open> find and switch on the required smart device.

Now I just expand the quick panal>select media> switch on the device. Whilst it's the same amount of steps  it is now quicker due to not having to search for the app.

When I refer to the notification tray  I mean the gray section below the toggles etc, when I pull down the tray I only want to see message notifications etc not media/device actions and toggles (again personal preference).

Maybe being able to pin certain media/device toggles in the same area would be a good suggestion to allow that 1 step action for device switching etc.

maybe you were missing that previously you could have turned smartthings panel on in the notification area like now and hit the icon to take you to smartthings and all the devices. it's not that the panel itself is new, it's that the panel is now less useful. perhaps it's now turned on by default and previously it was not which was why you were thinking you had to go to the app tray to get to smartthings

BenGinders
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks @stanleywinston  I think I may have removed it during my debloating exercise.  Due to this being a Beta I have left all the bloatware in their to allow for complete testing 

Ben Ginders
0 Likes
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options

Did the smart-things panel take me straight to the smart-things app previously? 

The current solution on Android 10 takes me to some intermediary step before taking me to the smart-things app.

0 Likes
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options

Another drawback of this new method of not displaying my devices on the notification pulldown is that it's not immediately obvious if I have another device connected that audio is being routed to.
I visited an Apple store yesterday and tried the new Airpods Pro, had them connected to my S10.

When I left and got back in the car, no sound was coming through the car speakers or the phone, despite me turning the volume up. 

It wasn't until swiping down and tapping Devices, then going back after realising is was the wrong option, then swiping down again and tapping Media, that I saw the Airpods Pro still active as an audio output. Then I could switch audio output device and ear things again. 

It's a clumsy solution to finding out what devices may be connected, if any at all. 

0 Likes
stanleywinston
Journeyman
Options

@ryamoo wrote:

Did the smart-things panel take me straight to the smart-things app previously? 

The current solution on Android 10 takes me to some intermediary step before taking me to the smart-things app.

yes. if you clicked on the title it took you into the devices section of the app. basically the bit that you now have to click on devices in the panel and then the star symbol to get to. you wouldn't have to though because you could configure any of those devices to be permanent fixes in the notification area.

has anyone got the most recent beta? I don't seem to be on it yet but the release notes mentioned the smart things notification area. I was wondering if they'd sorted it out in the new version

0 Likes
ryamoo
Helping Hand
Options
When was the latest one released? I think I installed this version on Sunday.
0 Likes