Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial number only 14 digits

(Topic created on: 23-10-2022 08:21 PM)
kmakec
First Poster
Options

I have a 870 EVO SATA 25" drive put in my sons laptop and I am trying register this drive and the serial number is only 14 digits, the hard drive is installed in the laptop so I can't easily look at the hard drive and see if the S/N match. 

How do I get this product registered?  

9 REPLIES 9
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Isn't the serial number on the packaging
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It will be if they didn't tear it opening the box. Alternatively use Samsung Magician to find the serial number of the installed drive
0 Likes
Arthur_Gray
Student
Options

I am running across this same issue but with the Wireless Duo and Trio chargers. 

They both have 14 digits in the S/N field on the product. I have drawn a line on ONE character each in the below example. This is my Wireless Duo charger. The trio also has 14 only.

The website option for "ALL OTHER PRODUCTS" says 15 is mandatory.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Arthur_Gray: Please be advised that I have removed the images included in your reply in accordance with data protection. I understand that you edited the images to remove some of the characters, but in this instance, as this is a public forum, I felt it was important to prevent any key identifying information from being visible to others. 

Regarding your query, the Wireless Duo and Trio chargers are considered to be accessories, which is why their serial numbers may not fall in line with the expected 15 characters. Registration of your devices is for your personal records only, and does not affect the warranty, which in the case of accessories, lies with the retailer. 

0 Likes
WTNVBFL
First Poster
Options

AndrewL,

It would be nice if Samsung would put that information on the registration page so people, like me, do not waste time "TRYING" to register a new product, which sometimes is required for the warranty (with other companies.) 

Just a little suggestion....

aboe026
First Poster
Options

Agreed, just came here after trying to register my wireless Trio charger. Please update the documentation to be more clear. 

BenJum
Apprentice
Options

It would ne nice to know if this is a legit product. It SEEMS like it may be fake with only 14 characters! THAT is why I was registering it - to be sure.

0 Likes
BenJum
Apprentice
Options

I called Samsung at 800-726-7864 and a very n ice gentleman said that since it did not have 15 digits, he used the 14 and said that it is a Chinese SN and I could have problems dealing with China if warranty was needed. He said that it COULD be fake but would have to look at it. I returned it and bought it from Samsung and picked it up locally!

0 Likes
Graceofglass
First Poster
Options

Bought my 980 PRO from Best Buy. It only has 14 characters in the S/N. I am having issues with it. I sure hope I don't have to deal with China to fix it.

0 Likes