Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Number is only 14 digits, not 15

(Topic created on: 08-08-2023 04:11 AM)
cbraden
First Poster
Options

980 Pro 2TB M.2 SSD with Heatsink --

S/N is only 14 digits. Cannot register with Samsung product registration which requires 15 digits. Anyone know how to register my SSD? 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
cbraden
First Poster
Options

I'll also add that the model code with Heatsink is "invalid" model code is MZ-V8P2T0CW but the suggested one is MZ-V8P2T0B (the model without the heatsink)

0 Likes
hasherati
Student
Options

I have the same model, an MZ-V8P2T0B/AM (no heatsink) 980 Pro 2TB bought off Amazon and the manufacturer date is 2023 04 28.  Only has 14 digits and I'm not able to register the product.  The same thing happened with my 970 EVO Pro.  

@AndrewL can you please help the community here?  Lots of examples of legit Samsung SSDs purchased from US retail with 14 digit SN's and unable to register them on your product registration site which required 15 digits.  

0 Likes
hasherati
Student
Options

I spoke to support and here's the deal... on the product packaging of their SSD's, they leave off the last letter of the serial number, the 15th digit, to prevent people from registering an unopened box.  If you already installed the drive, you'll need to take the drive back out of your system and read the full 15 digit serial number off the SSD itself, OR, you could attempt to guess that last 15th digit and just try 27 times :smiling-face:  

Also, if you are trying to use the Samsung Magician software to read the serial number using that software... and if you have a 4K monitor, you will find that the software doesn't work.  Apparently they have been trying to fix that also as it's been a problem in the last couple versions of the software back as far as 7.3.0 and is still broken in version 8.0.0 (latest as of this writing).  

Thirdly, the support guy also asked me to wait a bit before trying to register because the entire product registration site is experiencing API errors and their support center is getting flooded with calls.  

ANH ENGINEERING
First Poster
Options

The same happen with MZ-V8P2T0BW 

SSD 980 Pro 2 TB with 15 Digits read from Samsung Magician Software.

It keeps asking for Model Number and failed when I type MZ-V8P2T0BW.

0 Likes