Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED - black screens, connection losses, and more

(Topic created on: 15-10-2023 07:22 PM)
ElfVierzehn
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I have the G9 OLED for two days and have really lousy problems:

- when I start a game in fullscreen mode with the native resolution of 5120x1440, the monitor sometimes shuts down. There's no way to restore the image until I'm somehow able to either blindly quit the game or restart the PC - sometimes only the reset button helps.

- When starting certain apps or fullscreen applications, I hear a sound like a device is connecting and disconnecting. I also hear this randomly - it stopped, when I disconnected the USB cable from the monitor and ramains happening when I start full screen applications and exit them.

- I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on.

- I am using an RTX 4090 with this monitor. When I set it to 240 Hz, the GPU memory clock rate is not downclocked when the PC is idle. That means the GPU memory clock (not GPU clock) is always running at max clock, which is not ideal for power consumption and temperatures.

I use a Display Port 1.4 cable with 32.4 Gbit/s, but also have an HDMI 2.1 cable with 48 gbit/s. This happens with both cables. As soon as I lower the monitor Hz to 120, the memory MHz goes back to the correct idle value, as it should. Is this a normal behavior?

- when I turn off VRR on the monitor, it is no longer possible to set the native resolution.

The monitor is running on the latest firmware version 1023.

These are honestly such massive problems that I am almost determined to return this monitor to Samsung as soon as possible.

Any input from more experienced Samsung users who have been able to remedy these issues?

Thanks so much!

150 REPLIES 150
Badgerslayer7
Journeyman
Options
Yes but I did a factory reset and now struggling to set up via my phone and smarthings. Seems a bit buggy.
0 Likes
Badgerslayer7
Journeyman
Options
Maybe the smart things app needs an update too. It keeps timing out after asking for a pin
0 Likes
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

Updated, 10 minutes of Cinebench without issue, finger crossed

0 Likes
MrPeanuts
First Poster
Options

Yea still waiting on an update for the non smart version of the monitor. Getting black screens in all my games now (was just Far Cry 6).

0 Likes
Cthugha
Student
Options

Same problem here. The monitor randomly goes black for 3-5 seconds. No Windows disconnect sound/event. It happens in desktop, in apps, in games, etc.

G93SC model without Tizen OS. Latest firmware. It started happening in early February, and I updated the firmware in mid January.

Samsung technical support sent me directly to their service center to have the monitor looked at there... But I use it daily for both work and gaming, so I'm reluctant to be without it for days/weeks...

0 Likes
rikoriko123
Journeyman
Options

The question in the search results is about the effectiveness of customer support services. It humorously suggests extreme measures like destroying the case to replace the board with different firmware to correct errors at the program level. This reflects frustration with the perceived inadequacy of support services and the desire for more effective solutions.

0 Likes
LAUNEX
Apprentice
Options

Wow, interesting to see that a few months ago there where maybe 7 posts about this issue here a now we have 9 pages full of people with the same issue. I appreciate the effort from all of you but what I’m seeing here is, that customer support has absolutely not a single clue how to solve this issue. As someone said before, it’s somehow in their nature. 

My Problem got solved with my preferences. Since then I changed some hardware in my PC and I can use the latest Nvidia driver and I have no issues. 

Since there are already 9 pages Samsung should really start investigating this because I don’t believe customer service is really doing something about it. 

It can’t be that people are paying 1500 for a monitor which isn’t working absolutely flawlessly as it should for this price!

TaxTalis
First Poster
Options

Think I got most of those things too, sudden weird fuzzing colours, blackscreens, disconnects especially when switching to and from fullscreen, sometimes "the device connected is offline" and sometimes "an error occurred with the device connected". All HDR settings in e.g. Cyberpunk are reset each time, as the monitor disconnects during start and the game gets confused ans starts on my second monitor. Mostly it recovers though I can't play the game unless in windowed mode, but I think like 20% of the time the monitor goes to standby and the PC will not see it again until a full restart or at least reseating the DP cable. I used the one that came in the box but since switched to another one but the problem persists. Latest firmware for both monitor and gpu, drivers up to date, windows 10. On a different note I am also not able to correctly use the build-in eARC as the monitor denies pass-through above stereo to my eARC compatible AVR for whatever reason. The interface often becomes absurdly unresponsive, takes ages to accept inputs and if it gets really bad hallucinates inputs that were never given, like multiplying button presses. Anyway, I just wanted to extend this thread, maybe Samsung will eventually start to care if we make some noise. 

For me, this monitor is becoming more and more of an very expensive paperweight. 

0 Likes
Jim654321
First Poster
Options

I just want to log that I have this issue with the screen (G95SC) going black. Once it starts happening it happens every few minutes and is very annoying and makes gaming impossible. After a restart of the PC it may go away for a little while but it always comes back.

I have tried to deal with Samsung support before and it was one of the worst experiences I havNo Thankse ever had and it was just a simple question that needed answering at the time.

0 Likes
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

Have you tried the new firmware update?

0 Likes