Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED - black screens, connection losses, and more

(Topic created on: a month ago)
ElfVierzehn
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I have the G9 OLED for two days and have really lousy problems:

- when I start a game in fullscreen mode with the native resolution of 5120x1440, the monitor sometimes shuts down. There's no way to restore the image until I'm somehow able to either blindly quit the game or restart the PC - sometimes only the reset button helps.

- When starting certain apps or fullscreen applications, I hear a sound like a device is connecting and disconnecting. I also hear this randomly - it stopped, when I disconnected the USB cable from the monitor and ramains happening when I start full screen applications and exit them.

- I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on.

- I am using an RTX 4090 with this monitor. When I set it to 240 Hz, the GPU memory clock rate is not downclocked when the PC is idle. That means the GPU memory clock (not GPU clock) is always running at max clock, which is not ideal for power consumption and temperatures.

I use a Display Port 1.4 cable with 32.4 Gbit/s, but also have an HDMI 2.1 cable with 48 gbit/s. This happens with both cables. As soon as I lower the monitor Hz to 120, the memory MHz goes back to the correct idle value, as it should. Is this a normal behavior?

- when I turn off VRR on the monitor, it is no longer possible to set the native resolution.

The monitor is running on the latest firmware version 1023.

These are honestly such massive problems that I am almost determined to return this monitor to Samsung as soon as possible.

Any input from more experienced Samsung users who have been able to remedy these issues?

Thanks so much!

142 REPLIES 142
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

So have we got any further update from people with the G95SC having tried the new firmware to see if issues have been fixed and if any new issues have arisen ?

0 Likes
Shwinnx
Apprentice
Options

The smart version of this monitor has received a firmware update; however, I can't comment on its impact, as we're still seeking a solution for the non-smart version. It's crucial for us to keep reaching out and submitting tickets to Samsung.

Currently, the firmware version for the model ending in G93SC (non smart version) is still at 1006.3.

Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

Yes I was reaching out to people on here who have the G95SC.....that was the whole point of the post to try and prompt a response from those forum members on here. Those of us who don't have that model are still awaiting a firmware update obviously.

0 Likes
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone,
with the new firmware the monitor works much better, the problem rarely occurs.
I haven't played with it much in recent weeks, but from the few tests I've done, the monitor performs much better, black screen occurs less of one time for a day.
Samsung contacted me several times asking for updates on how the monitor works with the new firmware, information that should be sent internally to resolve the problem perfectly or at least that's what they told me.

Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

Brilliant. Thanks for that update, good to know it's working better and they are asking you for feedback

0 Likes
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

Today I started the Cinebench test again (single core benchmark) and the issue recurred.

I thought it was due to Nvidia driver update of this morning, so I reinstalled the previous drivers, rebooted and test with Cinebench again, with no luck.

I try to reset the monitor to factory default and configure it again with all the image settings previously used, same problem.

After that I contacted Samsung again by replying to their previous email, and send a video of the issue, let's see what happens .

I'm starting to get tired of debugging.

0 Likes
Alex452
Apprentice
Options

I have the G95SC, today I decided to update the firmware and the monitor started to present a black screen very often. Before this update I had black screen occasionally, now it has become an invalidating problem.

If I have Fortnite in Fullscreen mode and I switch to another application or just press the window button, the screen goes black and the only way to restore the image is unplug the DisplayPort cable from the GPU and then reconnect it.

Software version: 1402.6 (is this the firmware version?)

Anyone else? Can I go back to the previous firmware?

CommunityName11
Student
Options

I had no issues before - but since updating to 1402.6 I get the same blackscreens you mention with this screen. It is almost unusable like this.

I would also like to know where I could find the previous firmware version and how to roll-back.

0 Likes
Alex452
Apprentice
Options

I'm trying to contact the Samsung support, so far I'm out of lack, because apparently the fact that I speak English and I live is Switzerland is a problem. I have to contact the Swiss support and they only speak German, so at the moment they keep passing me around.

I just want the older version of the firmware... I'll let you know how it goes

0 Likes
LB8442
First Poster
Options

Same problem over here.

RTX4090 with G-SYNC enabled, windowed fullscreen at native resolution (5120x1440). Black screen for a few seconds every now and then, usually at the worst possible time.

I've only noticed it after the update to 1402, but can't rule out it was there before (didn't have a graphic card that could drive gaming at native resolution before).

Very disappointing, I hope this gets fixed.

0 Likes