Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED - black screens, connection losses, and more

(Topic created on: 15-03-2024 02:51 PM)
ElfVierzehn
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I have the G9 OLED for two days and have really lousy problems:

- when I start a game in fullscreen mode with the native resolution of 5120x1440, the monitor sometimes shuts down. There's no way to restore the image until I'm somehow able to either blindly quit the game or restart the PC - sometimes only the reset button helps.

- When starting certain apps or fullscreen applications, I hear a sound like a device is connecting and disconnecting. I also hear this randomly - it stopped, when I disconnected the USB cable from the monitor and ramains happening when I start full screen applications and exit them.

- I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on.

- I am using an RTX 4090 with this monitor. When I set it to 240 Hz, the GPU memory clock rate is not downclocked when the PC is idle. That means the GPU memory clock (not GPU clock) is always running at max clock, which is not ideal for power consumption and temperatures.

I use a Display Port 1.4 cable with 32.4 Gbit/s, but also have an HDMI 2.1 cable with 48 gbit/s. This happens with both cables. As soon as I lower the monitor Hz to 120, the memory MHz goes back to the correct idle value, as it should. Is this a normal behavior?

- when I turn off VRR on the monitor, it is no longer possible to set the native resolution.

The monitor is running on the latest firmware version 1023.

These are honestly such massive problems that I am almost determined to return this monitor to Samsung as soon as possible.

Any input from more experienced Samsung users who have been able to remedy these issues?

Thanks so much!

142 REPLIES 142
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

Bump

Same issue. can pretty much confirm that turning off G-Sync prevents this as it hasn't black screened on me in about 2 weeks. Hopefully the next firmware update can sort this out

EDIT : Update. G-Sync off does *NOT* provide a temporary fix. monitor has just gone black screen again

maurello
First Poster
Options

My monitor now runs software 1310. Have to say most problems are solved. This is my configuration:
- Apple Mac Studio connected via USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4
- Custom Windows PC connected via HDMI 2.1
Both work at maximum resolution and 240hz. Windows PC uses G-Sync without any issue.

I still experience very occasionally only one issue with macOS (so USB-C to DisplayPort). The monitor flickers, some artefacts start to show up, it even makes a static/cracking sounds. At times it get worse and the screen goes black, otherwise it goes back to normal. This was happening a lot before, now very rarely. Solution is simple, disconnect the DisplayPort from the Mac Studio and reconnect it. Problem is solved so.
Hopefully Samsung at some point solves this problem definitely.

0 Likes
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

Just want to check on this...yes you can enable 12 bit colour..but the monitor itself cannot display 12 bit..only 10 bit..correct?

0 Likes
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

again as referenced by

0 Likes
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

I've gone back to customer support to advise them I'm still experiencing the black screen issue.  They are going to pass the information on to the relevant team. I've provided them with the link to this thread.  So am now awaiting for a response

0 Likes
Warmen
Journeyman
Options

Perhaps our issue is not identical and/or there is more to it than just G-sync. I got this information from Samsung itself, I spent couple hours with samsung rep documenting the issue and bringing up all these concerns to their tech support, rep acknowledged that this issue is known by samsung . I have the entire transcript of conversation, samsung also created a ticket for me for future updates on the issue.

0 Likes
Warmen
Journeyman
Options

Samsung........... 

0 Likes
Warmen
Journeyman
Options

Great, maybe they need more inquiries. I don't know how many does it take for Samsung to put out something official on this and/or develop a fix in general. 

0 Likes
JurgenDM82
Student
Options

I've upgraded the firmware of my LS49CG934S from 1002.2 to 1006.3 and I'm now having the same issue as described here.

It all started when I upgraded, the previous version 1002.2 was not showing these symthoms.

I really hope they find a solution soon and that they remove the buggy firmware from their website so other people don't fall in the same trap.

0 Likes
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

I've opened a ticket from Samsung account and after one day a Samsung technician call me for scheduling a remote call to upgrade the firmware with a new one, maybe an hotfix.

He sent me the firmware and told me to copy on memory usb, then he start the remote connection on my monitor.

He tried to install the firmware without any luck and after 30 minutes he gave up and open an another ticket.

Today an another Samsung technician call me for scheduling some kind of action on my monitor directly at home.

On monday afternoon he'll try to solve the problem. I hope with a fimrware upgrade and not with some kind of internal hardware replace.

I'll keep you up-to-date.