Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q90R Soundbars Low subwoofer with 1012.6 Firmware

(Topic created on: 07-04-2021 02:10 PM)
next6000
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys,
the bass on the subwoofer has significantly dialed down when playing any content, from stereo to 5.1 to atmos, you don't feel the typical home theatre effect. I also did soundbar sound test and subwoofer is really low, are you experiencing the same issue? (sub level is on +6) I specify that I don't like to have subwoofer too loud, but in my case is extremely too low.

thank you

59 REPLIES 59
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@TurkAngora wrote:

This is not fake news. I would definitely concur that the subwoofer has gone mostly absent after the 1012.6 update. Rear sound level has improved. But apparently at the cost of the sub. This was not an agreed upon trade and Samsung should correct. It shouldn't be a difficult task nor an unreasonable request for a top end system.

"All the users who update the firmware to 1012.6 are suffering the absence of subwoofer" (as reported above) is a fake news, full stop.

Me and many other people have no problem at all with the subwoofer, either before or after the upgrade.

So, you must have defective units or perhaps the upgrade process didn't go well and you got to a broken subwoofer. So, even though it's unfortunate and we may argue against the overly complicated and fragile soundbar firmware upgrade process, the only option for me is to request a unit replacement to your local Samsung support centre.

0 Likes
pepsinio
Pioneer
Options

I don't see a reason to use narratives as 'few' 'some' 'many' 'all' It can only skew the picture.

What we objectively know is that there are people for which everything works flowers and roses and there are others which experience the issue from the title. That statement alone should be sufficient for Samsung to look into it given that enough critical mass has the same problem.

I hope we can all agree on this?

mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@pepsinio wrote:

I hope we can all agree on this?

This is what I'm myself saying: some of you have problems, it's not true that "everyone" has broken their subwoofer with this firmware upgrade. If it were so, there would have been a revolution, especially because this firmware upgrade has been released around 5 months ago now and not yesterday.

0 Likes
pepsinio
Pioneer
Options

@mauromol my personal feeling is that people which are less sensitive to good sound characteristics will not even notice. But for others which are more on the audiophile side, it is very annoying and audible.  And indeed the firmware has been out 5 months ago, and this whole topic with low subwoofer quality has been reported since :smiling-face: .

There was no revolution when people were complaining with disconnects, bricked devices, etc... I don't think it will happen all of a sudden now. I would be grateful for a small fix (as I believe that is all there to it). :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@pepsinio wrote:

@mauromol my personal feeling is that people which are less sensitive to good sound characteristics will not even notice. But for others which are more on the audiophile side, it is very annoying and audible.  And indeed the firmware has been out 5 months ago, and this whole topic with low subwoofer quality has been reported since :smiling-face: .

I can state for sure that I fall among the people who are quite sensible to audio quality 😉

Also, this thread is dated January 2021 but received no replies until just three weeks ago, when some of you started to also write on the other thread I linked above, which is instead dated November 2020, when the firmware was released, and is full of people saying they don't have such issue.

So, "this whole topic with low subwoofer quality has been reported since" doesn't seem right to me, unless there's some other discussion I missed.

0 Likes
pepsinio
Pioneer
Options

@mauromol i don't really understand what you are trying to prove. If you don't have any issues, then my strong advise will be turn on Netflix and enjoy your soundbar :smiling-face: 

TurkAngora
Journeyman
Options

If you "fall among the people who are quite sensible to audio quality", then you probably wouldn't have a Samsung soundbar. But whether an audiophile or not, a very diminished subwoofer is noticeable. So while you are very thrilled with your system in any form, there are those that would like this issue addressed. By Samsung.

In regards to the issue of why now and not five months ago when the firmware came out, some of us have more important issues to deal with on a day-to-day basis than researching electronics firmware.

0 Likes
Pipes
Pioneer
Options

I couldn't agree more with you TURK.... I know just from some of the questions from this community that there are many people who don't have the knowledge of how a sub should sound like.. Maybe they should do the sub craw and then they might be happier with the outcome of the sub as this is the best way to get all frequency levels.. It's helped me out with my sub.... Aswell everyone with low sub issues shoud drop all the speakers to - 6 then turn up the volume till the sound on the sub picks up where you are somewhat happy cuz there is no gain on the sub.. It's all or nothing... Then just slowly increase the dynamics of each speaker by increments of 1... You will have better luck then if all your speakers are past the plus 5 range..this will help... Aswell I find that adaptive mode sounds better for the sub

pepsinio
Pioneer
Options

@TurkAngora I guess audiophile is very broad term. I used my wife as 'non audiophile representative'. She hardly makes a difference between sound coming out of a soundbar and  phone speakerphone :face-with-tears-of-joy: and for her there was no difference whatsoever in the audio quality in comparison to before. 

In my case I was forced to buy soundbar due to lack of space. Not by willful choice. 

Also I actually didn't update the firmware right away due to more important stuff in life too . Now I deeply regret it. 

0 Likes
Pipes
Pioneer
Options

I will add that the speaker test tone or something was triggered by the remote or that was in the firmware knocked out the blue light on my rear right speaker and now my soundbar can't pick it up and reports a 0000.0 on the codes.. This is very unfortunate as this soundbar is a beast and has fantastic sound... I will take it to a service center as this is all samsung has done for me.. They are great @ pointing people in the service department as any monkey can do that job... There customer service definitely lacks... Like Sony back in the day we're the best but as soon as they built up there name.. They heck with bringing in quality but quantity was there focus.. Samsung will be second best when TCL  takes their customers