Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hw-Q90R Bass makes a popping noise

(Topic created on: 29-05-2020 04:55 PM)
tindoe
Student
Options

I purchased a HW-Q90R wireless surround sound sound bar a couple months ago. Been working great except I notice that the past couple weeks the woofer has had a popping noise that will not go away, especially if there is a deep bass or if somebody is talking with a deep voice. I have tried adjusting the settings and it is tolerable if the bass is turned all the way down. I installed the smart things app and tried to update the firmware but it was already up to date. I am not sure what else to do?

105 REPLIES 105
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options
Sorry for the typos... I was on my iPad. I blame the small keyboard.
0 Likes
Lcw6612
Explorer
Options

Hi @OceanBretzke,

I'm not familiar for the router set up. What you meant that I need to link my soundbar to different wifi channel? Either 2.4 or 5 ? 

Thanks 

0 Likes
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options
Bascially I have my router can connect via 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz. And it can combine this option into one WIFI Access name example (HomeWIFI). This works great for newer devices but I do not think the soundbar likes this and it causes interference. So I modified my router settings and established two Wifi Access names (HomeWIFI - 2.4 and HomeWIFI-5.0). I updated the wifi connections on the TV (q70r), soundbar (q90r), and everything else in the general area. I also moved the subwoofer to the opposite side of the room away from the xbox, direct tv, Apple TV, and the router. I also validated the firmware and reconnected all the speakers to the soundbar.

I have had no issues since then. I truly think its related to WIFI interference.

Like I said, I have ticket in place with Samsung to ship the soundbar and subwoofer back to Samsung for service but I am holding off right now as everything is working great.
Lcw6612
Explorer
Options

Thanks for your explanation. By the way, your tv and soundbar connect to 2.4 or 5?

What is the different between wifi 2.4 and 5? Thanks 

0 Likes
SimplyGeo
Journeyman
Options
@Chico76

I was able to fix the signal issue by upgrading my HDMI cables to audioquest ones. For all those that think they are not worth it, they do produce a cleaner signal which helped me a lot. Plus the sound is slightly cleaner resulting in us playing our movies at level 33 sound instead of 37. Small but significant.
0 Likes
SimplyGeo
Journeyman
Options
@Lcw6612

The manual says the sub and rears connect via 5ghz signals.

The biggest difference between 2.4ghz and 5ghz are the speeds. 5ghz signals can handle higher speeds, but they have a much shorter WiFi range. That's why you will see basic things(smart plugs, old tablets, smartlights) on the 2.4ghz channel, and more demanding things (gaming consoles, Soundbars, newer phones) on 5ghz.

Be aware that most new tech can switch between 2.4ghz and 5ghz for best performance.
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options
5ghz is just newer technology and faster. I have not the TV and Soundbar connected to 2.4
0 Likes
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options
I also swapped about my HDMI but I'm still thinking it is wireless interference
0 Likes
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options
Exactly. My router was the ability to run a combined wifi access name and auto connect to the higher speed if capable or switch back as needed. I also had the same issue with my IP cameras in the house cutting our and loosing their connection. Once I changed my wifi setting and made two wifi access names (one for 2.4 and one for 5) everything has worked great.
0 Likes
Lcw6612
Explorer
Options

Hi OceanBretzke,

I followed ur way to separate my wifi to 2.4 and 5 with different wifi name and link my soundbar to WiFi 2.4, but my subwoofer still had rumble sound, very angry. Even I had reset all the ID set and reset to update rear speakers. Plug out and restart everything, the subwoofer still encountered pop sound. Starting is ok, then after played few songs, the "blo blo blo" pop out frequently. I really disappointed and sad, why Samsung team never detect this problem, and still push this problem soundbar to market. I'm just bought it around 3 weeks from online Best Denki. Really speechless and wasted my time to check what cause this problem. 

0 Likes