Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hw-Q90R Bass makes a popping noise

(Topic created on: 06-10-2019 03:54 AM)
tindoe
Student
Options

I purchased a HW-Q90R wireless surround sound sound bar a couple months ago. Been working great except I notice that the past couple weeks the woofer has had a popping noise that will not go away, especially if there is a deep bass or if somebody is talking with a deep voice. I have tried adjusting the settings and it is tolerable if the bass is turned all the way down. I installed the smart things app and tried to update the firmware but it was already up to date. I am not sure what else to do?

105 REPLIES 105
Novocaine
Student
Options

I had the same frustrations as you as I mentioned. But I have since solved it. I don't know if this will work for you. 

First turn off everything. Wait for 10mins. Turn on the subwoofer. Then, each of the rear speakers then the soundbar. In this exact order. This will re-connect everything. Sound has been smooth since. No breakups everything works as it should. 

It went on for a good 2-3 weeks before it popped and boomed again. And I repeated the procedure as above. All good since. 

Try it let me know if it works for you. 

SimplyGeo
Journeyman
Options

UPDATE!! Don't return the soundbar just yet... So this ended up not working for me as well, but I "think"I finally figured out the real problem. Turns out it's because the sub connects to the bar on the 5ghz wifi signal. If your router is too close(or too advance in my case) it will cause interference. Most people can simply relocate their router and THEN do an ID reset to get a clear connection. In my case, I'm using the linksys velop mesh wifi 6 set up that literally tries to "block out" pesky signals for great internet connection. Because of this, moving my mesh unit won't work because 5ghz signals are shorter, thicker wifi waves and linksys makes a great product. Fortunately I use that mesh unit to hardwire my gaming consoles which I primarily use headphones for anyway. As a result I'm forced to disconnect the mesh unit unit every time I want to use the Sub......... This works for me ONLY because I have another mesh unit to connect to via WiFi.. So if you can move your router far enough away(over 20 ft seems to work.) Then the soundbar works like it should. I don't know how Samsung can fix this because it's a technology issue. There's basically too much traffic on the 5ghz internet highway, and unless they use a different channel/frequency I don't think they can do much. Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps some of you. When I get the sub connecting correctly the set up is wonderful. Honestly if I hadn't found this fix, I was going to look at the "new" LG ATMOS 7.1.4 bar because I hear it connects differently somehow. Good luck!

P.S. if anyone can figure out why the PS4 connecting to to soundbar directly through HDMI cases the screen to black out temporarily, it would be highly appreciated.

@tindoe @Novocaine @Creepshow @jdanzer @Vigetassj4 

Chico76
Explorer
Options

@simplygeo

This worked for me big time. I been observing my q90r as well and for a while I had my suspicions on wifi traffic. I could not figure it out 100% until I found your post and tried it. THANK YOU!!

i can't believe that Samsung is not correcting this issue. There is so many people having this problem and not able to enjoy their Q90R. Like you said, this is a simple fix and probably could be patched with an update. SHAME on Samsung! I was always a Sony or Bose for sound system, but this Q90R had really great reviews and loved the sound. Got won over and bought it, two weeks later I was ready to throw it in the garbage. If it wasn't for your findings 🙏🙏.... 

Samsung, if your listening. I hope you rectify this issue. It is a pain to be disconnecting my google mesh point, everytime I want to enjoy my home theatre 😡😡.

SimplyGeo
Journeyman
Options

I know your pain. I was super frustrated but I REALLY enjoy the sound when I get everything running well. FYI I plugged my Sub and router  into smart plugs that I way I can just as Google assistant to toggle them on and off. 

Now I just have to figure out why my PS4 keeps having signal issues when plugged directly into the soundbar..

0 Likes
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options

I am having this same problem.   Except it was my hdmi.  I switched to WiFi and no issues any more.

for what we paid...  Samsung should make a fix

Chico76
Explorer
Options

@simplygeo

sorry for the delay reply. I had my PS4 hooked to the sound bar and never had issues. Why not use your TV out put and use the ARC set up?

I have a Samsung tv and this was an easy hook up. I run a Mac mini, PlayStation4 and chrome cast as well. So using ARC HDMI was better for me. 

I hope you find the issue with that. Your finding has really helped me a lot. I wonder what Samsung is waitting for? Why not do an update and patch this problem. 

cheers brother!!

Aramis

0 Likes
Chico76
Explorer
Options
Nice!! Glad yours was a simple issue.
0 Likes
Creepshow
Apprentice
Options

Attention thread!!! I tried everything, reset, reposition, unplug, plug back in, factory restore, punch the wall, all of it!!

Here is how I fixed it: first of all I moved my router away from the subwoofer. I have no proof "this" resolved the issue. I then updated the soundbar just like we've all tried, but then I realized.... I wasn't updating the subwoofer and rears, just the soundbar. Once I updated EVERYTHING, it's been working fantastic!!!!

Look at this I found, I think you will all be fixed like me!!!!!!!! Thank you guys!

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01202075/

0 Likes
Lcw6612
Explorer
Options

Hi all,

I also face the popping sound issue from subwoofer. Even though I done all update. Still the same. 

Very disappointed. Turned WiFi off also same. 

@samsung team, hope u can solve this issue soonest. This Q90R soundbar not cheap. 

0 Likes
OceanBretzke
Explorer
Options

So....  my router using both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz with the same WIFI access name.  So devices can swith back and forth if caopable.  I turned this option off and set up seprate wifi access names for both 2.4 and 5.0.  I also moved the subwoofer to the opossire side of the room.  And I also updated the wifi on each device to the connect spread they can handdle.

the popping and crackling has stopped.

I due have a ticket to send my soundbar and subwoofer into Samsung but at this point I am holding off as the problem has been gone.  I truly think its more WIFI inference than anything else.  

0 Likes