Original topic:

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 26/04/18 12:19)
Motta33
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

289 REPLIES 289
Vargas007
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

Hi,

Same issue than your with a Samsung TV UE65MU9005 connected to a Pioneer receiver VSX932

Anynet+ is working on and CEC is actived on the Pioneer receiver, and sometimes I cannot control the volume anymore, it disconnects and the TV does not recogize my Pioneer receiver anymore.

1 Solution is to unplug/plug the tv.

Otherwise I have been recommended disconnect anynet+ on the TV, thento configure the remote, will try it tonight 

Motta33
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

Hi, thanks for feedback. As I said, this problem goes on and off with no apparent reason.

Sometimes ARC disconnects itself and then i very patiently setup everything again, disconnect and reconnect cables, also I setup only my receiver with no tv box, in order for the system to recognize it. Then later i setup the box with the remote.

Once, the TV even recognized the model of the receiver and asked me if i wanted to use it. When I said yes, then the reply was that it couldnt connect... and immediately in the sound options the receiver disappeared leaving only TV sound and optical.

Really its frustrating.

john022662
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Hi Motta33,

This is a very similar problem I am having with a Samsung QLED 75" TV and an Onkyo Receiver. I've talked with Samsung Customer Support, worked messages with Samsung Technical Support, and today had a service technician to my house.

He called via phone what he called "Top Engineers and Technical Support" people withing Samsung and the final outcome that I was given....   "Samsung TV's, the ARC, and HDMI-CEC are not totally compatible with any non-Samsung system. To the best of our knowledge, there is not a Home Theater Receiver that our systems are totally compatble with. The problem you are having is well known but still not addressed and fixed by Samsung Engineering". The best advice we can give is to complain and in the mean time, install an Optical cable from the TV to the HT Receiver and forget about the ARC and HDMI-CEC capabilities until this is fixed. Or.... you could do the System Reboot evertime the problem occurs and have it work for a little while".

This is what we are dealing with using 2018 Samsung North America TV's.

I'm not happy.

Have you made any progress on your system?

Thanks,

John

Edgie70
Helping Hand
Options
Audio & Video

Hi , similar problem here with my Amazon box , select the box in the menu and it turns on , I can go to access kodi and it then looses connection and comes up " plug in the device " etc .... I've turned off cec control in the Amazon box to see if it fixes it , I have tried new cables etc 

GrahamUK
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

Exactly the same problem with my Samsung UE65NU8070 TV connected to my Onkyo TX-NR709 reciever.  ARC & CEC worked just fine with my previous Samsung TV (PS51E6500RU) in the exact same set up, cables and all!

Samsung support has been completely useless, with responses ranging from failing to even understand the issue to promises of calls back that never happen.

Clearly Samsung can make this work 100% reliably as proved by my old TV so why they can't figure it out now is a mystery to me and obviously an even bigger mystery to Samsung!

For now, I have had to turn ARC off and resort to putting in an optical link between TV and receiver. CEC is still mostly functional but not recognising individual sources connected to the receiver as it used to.

JN99
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

So after two weeks fighting with these HDMI-CEC/ARC issues, here's what I have experienced with my Samsung UN75NU800:

1) First issue was audio via ARC  suddenly stopped working.  That sent me in search of info and these threads.  Noted reciever was no longer recognized or shown as option for sound out.  Reset as noted above (unplugging) corrected the issue temporarily 

2) Meanwhile, after above was "corrected" discovered a new issue where the TV repeatedly sets receiver to BD/DVD (HDMI1) input.  

3) Audio via ARC stoped working again; receiver again not recognized.  Reset as noted and receiver again reconized and shown as output option for sound however, even when selected no sound from TV to receiver via ARC.  Have not been able to correct this issue.

So all this leads me to the conclusion that there is simply no means with these TVs to get HDMI-CEC/ARC working properly so I will  either need to A) connect TV to reciever via optical audio or B) discontinue use of TV for apps/atreaming and use an external device like a Roku or Firestick or stream from my DVD/Blu-ray player.  It's certainly not a big deal but extremely frustrating and annoying all the same. 

john022662
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Hi JN99

You have come to the correct realization much earlier than I did. Your best bet (in my opinion) is to use the Samsung TV as a monitor only and do not relay on ARC or CEC. The ARC will fail repeatably and you will lose ability to select the source of sound. The CEC will mess with setting on other equipment and cause them to not work properly.

I purchased a Universal Remote/HDMI Smart Switch called Caavo. Every component that I have it plugged into the Caavo, then the Caavo plugged into the AVR, then the AVR plugged into the TV. One of my components is a Roku which essentially has all the Apps that your Samsung TV has and many more (plus much easier to add and manage apps).

This set-up gives me 100% control from a single remote and easily switches the AVR on and off as I need it. This also switches the system from TV speakers to AVR speakers with no problems. And the best thing is, this worked for 2 weeks with no issues and I get the absolute best sound. Even if the ARC was working, if you had a movie that came to the Samsung TV App with anything above Dolby +, it could not be sent over the ARC. With the system I have now, Dolby Atmos and anything my receiver can handle is automatically set to the AVR and played.

Good Luck with all of this.

John

JN99
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

Thanks for he info on Caavo - I had never heard of it and it definitely sounds like it's somethign worth looking into.

Viscious
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

I'm still having issues with getting sound to work via hdmi 4 arc. I have a Samsung q8fn 75 inch TV and a Nakamichi shockwafe Ultra 9.2 sound bar. The TV reicognizes the sound bar and I can control the volume levels with the tv's remote but I get no sound from content in the tv that is encoded in pcm or dolby digital. I am able to get sound whe  The content is encoded in dolby digital plus  Has anyone had this issue? Thanks  

SteveM1
Observer
Options
Audio & Video

Can you tell me please if you used the ARC HDMI port on your AVR?  And also did you use the ARC HDMI port on the Samsung TV?  I am having the same issues..  Thank you.

0 Likes
john022662
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Hi Steve,

With the set-up that I have, there is absolutley no use for ARC or HDMI-CEC so I so not use these outputs or inputs.

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
SteveM1
Observer
Options
Audio & Video

Thank you John...  I have a Nakamichi 9.2 system and its HDMI out to the TV is ARC capable...If I run all connecitons to a HDMI switch first, then the Nakamichi and then into the samsung...Should I use just a regualr HDMI port on the samsung then?  Thank you again for all your help.

0 Likes
john022662
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure about using the HDMI Switch and it's capabilities. As I posted several months ago, I use the Caavo Control Center that is essentailly a Smart HDMI Switch and Universal Remote. I'd recommend that as a solution.

It's possible that your Nakamichi is better than my Onkyo in handling things. The key is that you do not rely on the TV for anything other than the Picture and then sound (via pass-through of the AVR when it is off). This requires than you have a Cable Box or Streamer of some type to watch typical TV (apps on the TV become useless unless you are using the TV as stand along.....AVR off and). I use the Roku Ultra. 

Try hooking all your components to the AVR and use that as the Hub of the system. Then just use a good quality HDMI connection from the AVR to the TV. I would turn off all CEC-HDMI and ARC Capability of the TV such that it does not send signals via the HDMI that can screw with your DVR. The drawback of this set-up is that you will need multiple remotes.  That is where the Caavo ties it all together. I only need the Caavo remote and can control my Roku, AVR, Samsung BR, and Samsung TV.

Hope this helps,

John

0 Likes
SteveM1
Observer
Options
Audio & Video

Thank you again John!

0 Likes
AmericanOppa
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

Same problem I am having with my brand new QLED 65 inch.  I also have a brand new Pioner (Onkyo) Elite Receiver.  Samsung chat support said that they never had any reports of this issue! They told me to check the HDMI cable! Not happy. I am hoping that if enough people complaine, they will provide a sofware update to fix this problem.

0 Likes
john022662
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Hi AmericaOppa,

Samsung has known about this issue for nearly a year. They do not seem to communicate the issue to their tech support team or teach them to lie. I wish you the best in getting this fixed. You can read my work around above. I have not tried the CEC/ARC for at least 3 months but from what I am reading, it still has significant issues. However, I do not need this to function with my current set-up.

Thanks,

John 

0 Likes
Ola20
Observer
Options
Audio & Video

Same here, I have 75" Q9, when I turn on my TV it doesn't automatically turn on my home theatre, I always have to do it manually. I am sure this problem is from Samsung because I started experiencing this issue when I moved from my Sony to Samsung. I am sure I have everything set up correctly but just won't work automatically. 

0 Likes
Chazmills
Options
Audio & Video
I’m glad someone got an answer so I will stop trying to get my TV to switch off my Onkyo Amp at the end of a night watching TV. I’ll have to go back to my old “proper” universal remote
xxcrazyczechxx
Options
Audio & Video

I also gave up and plugged my optical in. The question I have is should I leave the hdmi plugged into the ARC port or use another port? I dont want my video to degrade because of a messed up port.

0 Likes
Onefinerico
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

I left mine in and ran the optic. Streaming from my blu ray or my fire stick or what have you, goes through my receiver using the midi arch cable.  When I stream from my smart tv it's going through the optic back to the receiver.  That's what I believe is going on.  I haven't had any sound problem since.   

0 Likes