Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1012.6 Firmware Update for HW-Q80R Soundbar

(Topic created on: 01-01-2021 10:00 AM)
TheBigBoss20
Journeyman
Options

I performed the update recently and would like confirm my versions numbers if anybody has also updated their HW-Q80R. The numbers displayed for me are:

M-0133.0
B-1012.6
H-0051.0
FD-0040.0
W-0033.0
S-0033.0

Has anybody tried updating the HW-Q80R models to the latest firmware update?

Should the firmware version numbers displayed be the same as the Q90R model apart from the RR RL which it doesn't have - because I have seen some members in the community who have made the update to the Q90R models. If anybody can confirm it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
TheBigBoss20
Journeyman
Options

Is anybody having any connectivity issues with this soundbar? Mine seems to disconnect frequently after 20 minutes even when this is connected via HDMI2 (eARC) and sound is being outputted. Very strange and annoying. I cant seem to figure why it could be doing this. Any suggestions on on what this could be?

0 Likes
LeNini
First Poster
Options

Ok i did a few more test, something is definitely wrong.

The only way to have some sound going out from my rear speakers is to use surround modes.

In standard mode with a Dolby test video that i use to test each channel, nothing comes out from the rear speakers.

The rear signals are output from the bar itself but nothing on the surround speakers... however the surround are connected as surround mode do output some sound to the rear.

My best guess : Samsung screwed up something with the last firmware...

0 Likes
spikey1973
Explorer
Options

@LeNini 

I personally believe that 'Standard" should be seen as Stereo. So no center, no rear, just front left and right.

Surround is indeed with the full circle complete..  You only need rear for surround, so this seems as intended to me, but ofcourse just IMHO so i can be wrong ofcourse but it is as with me.

Additionally i had contact with samsung europe / benelux and they told me there is a big difference in software between the US software and the european software. so the values as mentioned us link about updating the rear and subwoofers is valid for US but not for EU. On the other hand, the 'correct' values are not known to european department and they are looking in to it.. keeping you informed.

0 Likes
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

@LeNini "standard" is for when you want to "enjoy the original sound" (user manual). Which means any and all input is upmixed to 7.1.4 (HW-Q90R) or 5.1.2 (HW-Q80R).

Youtube doesn't seem to like "standard" as it reverts to stereo. While in "surround" it has voices centered and everything else separated nicely. There might be more apps that act up like that. 

0 Likes
LeNini
First Poster
Options

Well in standard mode i should be able to hear the rear speakers on a DTS or Dolby demo disc no ?

I use surround mode most of the time BUT i noticed that rear speakers volume is very low, it still is even after the update.

Did any Q80R with 9000S rear speakers owner noticed any improvement ?

0 Likes
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

Did some testing, so I edited this reply, sorry about that.

In standard mode you should be able to hear your rear speakers, if it is 7.1 content (can't test that as I don't have the rear kit). In standard mode I get 5.1 when the content is 5.1 so it should be the same for 7.1 as per the manual.
I previously thought this wouldn't be the case, but that's only on youtube (which reverted to stereo, there might be more apps like that). So I immediately set the bar to surround once I got it and forgot about it. Plus side channels copied to front-top is nice to have most of the time.

Does the 9000S kit have any integration in the SmartApp, MultiRoom app or in the TV itself where volume can be set? Equalizer settings? etc.  Maybe it reverted to a broken default. One user reported setting volume on them through his TV. Which sounds weird, but it was reported on samsung website as review among complaints of low volume.

0 Likes
rtpt
Apprentice
Options

Hey guys,

So I am also in the same boat as @LeNini , I have Samsung hw-q80r with SWA-9000s rear kit and after new firmware update there seems no improvement in rear volume rather I saw volume got more down.

On the other hands, our friends with hw-q90r are really partying with increased rear volume upto +12db & extra "hidden function" available copying front sound to back etc. But it seems Samsung left us to side. Atleast we should have some volume improvement benefits for rear kit.

Do you see any other observation? Or did any one contact Samsung about the same?

0 Likes
TheBigBoss20
Journeyman
Options

Can somebody help with how I may be able to reset the soundbar. I am following instructions as per the manual but this doesnt do anything for me it just turns and and I can not see the word INIT appear.

The instructions I am following are:

With the Soundbar turnedoff, press and hold the (SoundControl)button for more

than 5 seconds until the speaker turns on. “INIT” appears on the display and the Soundbar is initialised.

0 Likes
skipperab
Explorer
Options

What does a reset actually do to a Q80? Will I have to get it to recognize the sub again? Will I have to reset the volume levels of each speaker again? I’m Leary to reset when I don’t know what the expected outcome is suppose to be. And can someone please tell me how to test if each speaker is actually working. Thanks

0 Likes