Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB recording probems

(Topic created on: 12-10-2019 03:39 PM)
Greenones
Apprentice
Options

Hi community,

I have a Samsung UE32J5500 and just had a proper aerial fitted to the house.

I'm looking for a way to record TV and thought I'd give the TV's USB recording feature a go.  I have a great (new) 64Gb USB stick with super fast transfer rates and this passed the performance test on the TV.

I recorded a snippet of TV successfully and it played back with no issues.

So I thought I'd try and test the scheduled recording feature, I set it to record a show which was about to start and it warned me that recording was about to commence.  I let the program finish and went to check what it had recorded, but the USB was not present (according the the TV).

I then tried the USB stick in my MacBook Pro but it doesn't appear as a device anymore, not even in Disk Utility.

I then tried it in two other Windows 10 laptops and neither of those recognised it either!  The drive doesn't show in Disk Management on the Windows 10 laptops either, which I would've expected it to. 

It appears the TV has broken it and I'm at a complete loss as to what to do now.  Other than buy another USB stick and risk the TV writing that one off as well..

I've read the TV needs a powered drive to be able to record when turned off, but in this test the TV was powered on all the time, I just wanted to make it worked in the first instance before trying to record when it was powered off.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? And did you manage to resolve it?

I had little hope that this would work after reading all the nightmare posts about it, but it did seem hopeful (to start with at least).

I didn't expect the TV to write off my USB stick though.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I think a YouView box might be in order.. 😞

Regards,

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Greenones 

We're sad to hear of your experience with the USB stick. It's also a little difficult to say exactly how or why the USB would have failed/corrupted. Did you follow the 'scheduled recording' instructions listed in the User Manual?

0 Likes
Greenones
Apprentice
Options

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've since bought a replacement USB stick and done the tests again, I'm happy to report that all is working perfectly!

Despite the rumours, it does record when the TV is turned off! Great news!

Thanks again,

Sam

Greenones
Apprentice
Options

Update after having some regular usage:

I would now retract the statement that it works perfectly.  It works, but a little hit and miss with the user experience.

Sometimes the beginning or ending of the programmes are missing.  For example, a show starts at 20:00 according to the TV Guide, but it actually starts at 20:05 as there are lottery results or bite sized news reports, so you miss the ending as theh recording started early.

Or it drops you in a few minutes into a show and you miss the beginning.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be timed by the actual start of the programme, but it appears it just replies on the TV Guides starting/ending times.

Some recordings also fail to play on first try, but try again and they are successful.

You also have to watch the programme you want to record, no dual channel.  That's not a problem for me as I mainly use a Firestick to watch media on.  So it doesn't matter what channel the TV is tuned to.  But thought worth mentioning as it would affect a lot of users who only have digital.

The GUI for the file list is a little sluggish not the easiest to read.

All in all, it's not bad.

0 Likes