Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 16-11-2019 10:25 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
slomar
Explorer
Options

I'm also having the same issue when connecting a Firestick to the Q90r one connect box with that connected to the HW-Q90R soundbar. The issue goes away if I plug the firestick to the soundbar, but that is not ideal.

Highly disappointed in Samsung given these are two flagship products. I did not have this issue with an older Samsung TV with this soundbar in the same configuration.

To make matters worse, the first Q90r I received from had a bad panel, and by the time I received the new one, the return period for the soundbar passed. Had I seen this thread earlier I would've went with a full LG setup.

I called their support and ran through their series of unplugging it and plugging it back in to no avail. They said they would escalate to engineering, but I'm not holding my breath. 

m-oc
Navigator
Options

I called Samsung for an update 2 days ago. The person was pleasant enough but totally useless in terms of understanding the issue (despite me creating a very detailed document and sending to them) or providing an update. I have been promised an update by Monday but likewise I won't hold my breath. 

m-oc
Navigator
Options

Just wondering why you said it's not ideal to plug the firestick into the soundbar?  I can't connect my Sky box to the soundbar because there is another bug in the system with the CEC and the soundbar doesn't turn on with the TV. It turns off but not on. Are you also experiencing this?  

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Soundbar seems to turn on/off with the TV for me, but I've only had the TV one day. However, today when I woke up, the sound bar refused to recognize the firestick I had plugged in until I completely unplugged the soundbar.

Few reasons I say not ideal. The location of the hdmi ports on the sound bar is abysmal. And given the firestick is using wifi, even more so. Also, there is a delay when I turn the TV on before it recognizes the input on the soundbar which was not preset connecting to the TV. Also, when plugging into the TV, you see it represented as Firestick in the source menu, where you don't plugged into the soundbar. And lastly, you can't really control / see whether it's PCM, DD, or DD+ on the TV menu when the source is connected directly to the soundbar. I also have no idea if HDR would be passed through to the TV properly in this manner.

Oh... And the fact that now I have to use the soundbar remote from time to time since there is limited controls for it with the TV remote. 

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Well, I have another ARC issue which I commented on in another thread. Overnight, the TV decides it wants to forget the soundbar exists and switches to TV speaker for the output. Then I have to go through the process of reestablishing the setup for the soundbar. 

I've spoke to phone and Twitter support. The guy on Twitter claims that they have no history of customers having either of these problems. So, don't expect a fix. I'm going to initiate a return on the TV and likely have no choice but to keep the soundbar. 

0 Likes
Rizel23
Journeyman
Options

@cirion wrote:

ok, I got fed up by the audio delay, so I capitulated :serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth:

I bought an external 4K HDMI switch which provides video HDMI output + one extra HDMI output which only contains a black screen + audio. With this I can connect 4K devices to the TV and still get HD audio via my AVR without need to rely on the TV ARC or optical output.

And as expected: now the picture is in sync with the audio. 

A shame that this is necessary for such an expensive TV! But the lack of any response from SAMSUNG in this thread told me that if we ever get this fixed at all, it isn't going to be soon.

I'll sure remember that when I buy my next TV ... 

can you kindly share the model details and link? Thanks 

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

Samsung UK office of the CEO this week advised me to return the Q90R TV and Sound bar as they are not currently able to fix the ARC/CEC HDMI issue or the lip sync issue with this TV. If you are able to return it then I suggest you do the same. I suppose they may eventually fix it.  I'll be getting an LG I think. 

0 Likes
Rizel23
Journeyman
Options

@m-oc wrote:

Samsung UK office of the CEO this week advised me to return the Q90R TV and Sound bar as they are not currently able to fix the ARC/CEC HDMI issue or the lip sync issue with this TV. If you are able to return it then I suggest you do the same. I suppose they may eventually fix it.  I'll be getting an LG I think. 

Thanks, but after previous LG set ups there is no way I'd return! Seems a 4K hdmi splinter wil resolve issues till update. Only issue is Sky HD over ARC which directly connected to soundbar will resolve. Netflix and other inbuilt app works fine, it's only ARC that's causing issues, but I agree this should not happen on flag ship models.  

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

It's all a matter of choice. I didn't want the splitter option.  Mainly as it's too complicated with lots of remotes, especially for a young family. I may regret the LG choice but I've battled with Samsung for too long and need to take my chances with something else. It's been 6 months and no resolution! Good luck. 

Weegro
Explorer
Options

Also experiencing the lip sync issues with the Q85R.

Have tried a sonos Beam and the Samsung Q60 soundbar, and both do it.

Seems to be ok or better using the TV's in-built apps, or using USB hard drive.
Issue is only there when using virgin media channels with Dolby (the HD channels), not there on stereo channels.

0 Likes