Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How to connect Q90R for Atmos?

(Topic created on: 09-04-2019 02:43 PM)
willzyx
Student
Options

Hello peeps. 

I'm new to 4k and Dolby Atmos and anything TV related (my previous TV was over 9 years old). I understand that QLED TVs don't support Atmos or Vision, but I'm planning to use the Q90R as a panel only. I will watch most of my stuff with Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X and Chromecast Ultra. I will skip all TV built-in apps. I understand that hardware listed above do actually support Atmos and Vision. I'm planning to get an Atmos capable soundbar. 

Is there anyway to connect all the gear to actually get Dolby Atmos and Vision? Do I have to connect them directly to the soundbar and then route it to OneConnect Box? 

0 Likes
Go to solution
48 REPLIES 48
brettautrey
Pioneer
Options

@Leet2274 wrote:
So are you saying the netflix app on the q90r tv shows all netlfix content with atmos (ie it says ATMOS) on screen when you select a netflix show?

Or are you watching netflix from another device (not the tv)

That's exactly what I'm saying. See pics. Native Netflix app showing AtmosNative Netflix app showing Atmos

Stream sending Atmos to q90rStream sending Atmos to q90r

Sending it over ARCSending it over ARC

0 Likes
KenTN
Apprentice
Options

Interesting info to report on this.. I bought a Q80R soundbar to go with my Q80R TV. I hooked it up as recomended with HDMI from ARC on the soundbar to ARC on the TV. I also noticed that Dolby Atmos was not showing up on Netflix content like it should for shows like Punisher. I tried Vudo and did notice that Dolby Atmos was showing up and playing correctly on the soundbar when the expert sound settings are set to Dolby Digital +. I decided to return my Q80R soundbar and get the Q90R instead so that I could get the full Atmos effects with the rear speakers included with the Q90R. Once I got everything setup I went to Netflix and pulled up Punisher and was surprised to see the Atmos icon. Both soundbars were upgraded to the latest available firmware as of July 2019 (1008.190622). I am not sure why Atmos shows up on Netflix content when the Q90R is hooked up vs. not showing up when the Q80R is hooked up, but wanted to share this with the community.

Also, just wanted to thow this out there for those who don't know.. The Q series TV's have Dolby Digital + which can can pass a compressed lossy version of Atmos via ARC. So, hopefully going forward more and more native TV apps will have Atmos available. The native Apple TV app for example will only pass Dolby Digital currently. So, if you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem like I am, you have to hook up a physical Apple TV directly to the soundbar to get Atmos. I absolutely refuse to do this. I want the TV and its native apps to be my  source for entertainment content. 

Hope this helps!

Biggles685
Apprentice
Options

Hi, How did you get the TV to recognise the soundbar on HDMI(ARC) ?  I have a Q90 TV and a Q90 Soundbar but the tv (Settings - Sound) does not show HDMI available.  I have tried 4 HDMI cables including an expensive 4K cable but the TV does not recognise the HDMI Connection.  However there is communication between the TV and Soundbar because if I change from TV Speakers to Soundbar (WiFi) the sound bar indicator then shows WiFi.

The only way to get connection is to remove the power from both TV and Soundbar and then reconnect, then the HDMI shows available, but the next time the TV is switched Off and On (by the remote) the HDMI connection is no longer available.  HELP please because Samsung help line is not being very helpful.  TV has been reset but no improvement with the problem.

m-oc
Navigator
Options

Please could you let me know if your HDMI sources are connected to the TV or soundbar?  I have both Q90R TV and soundbar. If I connect HDMI sources to the TV I have experienced unresolveable lip sync issues (video ahead of sound) and if I connect them to the Sounbar as Samsung suggest then I have  weird ARC issues such as not switching devices on or off as you would expect or sources not showing at all. I’ve replaced all HDMI cables and tried all settings. Would really like to get it to work. 

0 Likes
brettautrey
Pioneer
Options

@m-oc wrote:

Please could you let me know if your HDMI sources are connected to the TV or soundbar?  I have both Q90R TV and soundbar. If I connect HDMI sources to the TV I have experienced unresolveable lip sync issues (video ahead of sound) and if I connect them to the Sounbar as Samsung suggest then I have  weird ARC issues such as not switching devices on or off as you would expect or sources not showing at all. I’ve replaced all HDMI cables and tried all settings. Would really like to get it to work. 

My sources are all connected to the TV (Q90) via the one connect device. I definitely have sync issues depending on the scope, the source, the app etc. I think this is an eArc issue and I've heard an update is coming in August but who knows for sure with Samsung.  I never have problems with power on and off, which I think is a CEC issue. The only thing I run directly to my soundbar (Q90) is my Blu-ray player in order to get Atmos to be passed to the TV/soundbar.

0 Likes
Biggles685
Apprentice
Options

My only external device at the moment is a Humax FreeView box, which I don't use very much, and it is conected to the One Connect box.  My issue is with the TV not recognising the HDMI(ARC) connection unless I kill the power to TV and Soundbar and then reinstate the power.

0 Likes
brettautrey
Pioneer
Options

@Biggles685 wrote:

My only external device at the moment is a Humax FreeView box, which I don't use very much, and it is conected to the One Connect box.  My issue is with the TV not recognising the HDMI(ARC) connection unless I kill the power to TV and Soundbar and then reinstate the power.

not sure if you are using a hdmi 2.2 cable, high speed hdmi or not or if it even matters. I bought the latest technology hdmi cable and have no issues

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I replaced the cables with really good quality new ones yesterday. It hasn’t made any difference. I’m about to give up to be honest but I’m grateful for all suggestions, so thank you. 

0 Likes
niniki
Journeyman
Options
I'm alsi in the no atmos boat.

Xbox one X, which I use for my blue ray player, and Denon Atmos amp.

My Q85r has picked up the Atmos enabled amp automatically, but steadfastly refuses to tell anything else about it. No Atmos capability in Netflix. Xbox won't allow bitstream Atmos output as the TV is telling it there is no Atmos capability.

Top quality, pay through the nose, cables and still no luck!

Yes, I could connect the Xbox directly to the amp, but I really don't want to have to keep another remote on hand (and creates an unwanted issue for my technophobe hubby for his odd Xbox game). I'd hoped a £2.5k TV would be able to cope with a simple task like Atmos passthrough!
0 Likes
ilkeraktuna
Apprentice
Options

what does this mean :

"The Q90 does support Dolby Atmos encoded Dolby Digital Plus signals, and is able to receive them from native apps or by HDMI, and is able to send to a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar via HDMI-ARC"

I have a Q70R and when I connect my Atmos supporting receiver (Denon AVR-X3500H) through HDMI_ARC, TV recognizes that it supports Atmos.

However, when I play an atmos encoded movie on USB, my receiver receives Dolby Digital surround signal, not Atmos.

If I play the same movie on my Shield TV , receiver receives Atmos signal.

So what is wrong ?

Is it about the cable carrying ARC ? (I used a HDMI 2.0 cable)

I also tested same with Optic cable and optic input on the receiver. But the result did not change. (No Atmos signal on receiver)

0 Likes