Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice commands don't work when using Ear Buds+ with phone (S20+) in pocket

(Topic created on: 15-08-2020 10:41 PM)
MickT69
First Poster
Options

I was expecting that ear buds would enable me to use the Google Assistant when my S20+ is in my pocket or exercise arm band, however the assistant rarely responds to commands. All works pretty fine with earbuds when I'm holding the phone.

Is there a setting I'm missing (eg. pocket mode, etc)? Thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
AndrewL
Options

@MickT69: It may be the case that Google Assistant is failing to respond while you phone is idle. If you are using certain apps while the phone is in your pocket, can you try going to Settings > Apps > Select the relevant app > Battery > Allow Background Activity > On, to see if this helps? Similarly, check your Google Assistant settings to see if there are any options to recognise your commands while the phone is locked/idle. 

0 Likes
MickT69
First Poster
Options

Thanks Andrew. I checked some apps (Spotify, Textra, Google) and they all have this set to 'on' already. I can't find anything specific to the Google Assistant. I have also tried Bixby with the same problem. To me it seems like a problem between the phone and earbuds rather than an app thing.

Anyone else reporting the same problem?

0 Likes
seandl
Journeyman
Options
With my Galaxy Buds I have to long press the left bud to activate my assistant.
0 Likes
MickT69
First Poster
Options

That works for me to activate the assistant (voice will also sometimes activate it) but the majority of voice commands then fail to get any response - it's almost as if the connection between phone and ear buds isn't strong enough, although Spotify music play back is perfect which problems rules this out. Very strange and frustrating.

0 Likes
MickT69
First Poster
Options
Anyone know how I get support from Samsung on this? It would be good to know whether the basic thing I'm trying to do should work. Thx.
0 Likes