Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung watch 5 run GPS

(Topic created on: 15-08-2023 11:04 PM)
Sean957
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

Hoping to get some support.. iv started running lately with my watch 5 and using Samsung health to track.

When I look back on my runs on the gps map it appears to have me running way off track a lot and looks like a doodle. My run times also appear faster than what I'd expect and was wondering if anyone has found similar to the pictures below... can it be fixed or is the gps on watch 5 just inaccurate?

Screenshot_20230802_100648_Samsung Health.jpg

 this one running around the pitch has me inside the pitch and in people's gardens apparently..

Screenshot_20230802_100709_Samsung Health.jpg

 again am way off the path according to the gps here.. looks like its adding extra distance on.

Any help is appreciated... First post here so apologies if iv added it to the wrong place. 

Thanks,

Sean

6 REPLIES 6
Neo001
Legend
Options

I see the same on my GW4 Classic, it shows me walking over buildings at times 😀.. the GPS is not that accurate.

0 Likes
GamerNuts
Explorer
Options
It's just the GPS not linking property with your watch I have a gtr 4 watch and sometimes happens to me
0 Likes
Sean957
Apprentice
Options
Is there a way to fix it do you know? It's happened every time! 😔
0 Likes
gftfan
First Poster
Options
I am having the same problem. I went for a run today and wore my daughters apple watch on my other wrist. At the end of the run the Samsung showed 7.8k and the Apple 7.5k. This is actually an improvement of what I have been experiencing, any thoughts on how to resolve this?
0 Likes
Sean957
Apprentice
Options
It's a nightmare and has me considering other smart watches. After 10k it's almost 1k less than an apple watch se which appears to track way closer to the route... very frustrating...
0 Likes
Waldläufer68
Pathfinder
Options

I have the same problem here. GW5 LTE, just like the GW4 LTE I owned before it, had very good GPS tracking ... up until about half a year ago. Two things happened then, one was a major software update, the other was I had to have the backside sensor array changed for frequent and complete failure of body sensors.

Ever since, GPS tracking is only ever accurate when I put the watch in Airplane mode before I start the run.

So this is either a hardware problem, GPS antenna getting interference from the builtin radios (LTE, BT, WIFI), or a software problem, "assisted" GPS (triangulating cell phone towers to augment GPS position accuracy) doing its math wrong.

Either way, this stinks. All my stats are screwed, track lengths are up to 20% over, average running speeds therefore likewise are 20% too fast, I have set length and speed records that I won't ever be able to actually meet, etc. etc.

Oddly enough, I had the watch repaired again for GPS inaccuracy. Samsung Repair services replaced the sensor array again, and also reverted the watch to its original (first release at launch) firmware. Does that tell us something?

0 Likes