Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Running Tracking Delayed Start by about 5 to 10 min

(Topic created on: 29-06-2022 02:20 PM)
Klvn
Apprentice
Options

I bought the Samsung Watch 4 Classic and so far so good.

But I identified a problem with the running tracker app. I start the running app on the watch, then I start running around my neighborhood. After I am done returning to where I started, I click finished on the watch.  I check my exercise history on the phone and will see my route starting about 5 to 10 min away from where I started. I did this repeatedly and it happened everyday.

So picture this, instead if seeing a full circle of how I have run, I see a three quarter drawn circle because it looks like GPS did not start right away. It may have something to do with auto workout detection but I'm manually starting the running app.

Galaxy Watch4 Classic 

Please advise how I can fix this.

16 REPLIES 16
AndrewL
Options

@Klvn: If you're using Auto Detect Workouts (Samsung Health app > Settings > Auto Detect Workouts) then there will be a delay of around 10 minutes while it detects that you're engaged in an activity. To avoid this, manually enable the workout by heading to Samsung Health > Exercise > Choose Workout > Running. 

Members_V5j0VIQ
Apprentice
Options

Well the same thing happened to me recently.  And so was pleased to see this question had a reply, only to find that it suggests doing exactly what the OP (and I) did, which is start the activity manually!

Klvn
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Andrew, I already started the exercise app manually before I ran, but yet it won't be able to track my route for the first 5 to 10 min.

I am including a map. I started and finished at exactly the same spot, but the history showed I started later at the black dot, so its missing the route in the red circle.

Screenshot_20220421-103208_Samsung Health.jpg

F3 Posh
Student
Options

The same keeps happening with me, I start my run manually and when I'm done it shows the map start point at a much later time. What is the fix?

Mopar King
First Poster
Options

I have been having the same issue since the Watch 4 came out.  My Active 1 and Active 2 were WAY more accurate in tracking my runs.  I run a 3k 5 times a week and my Watch 4 only tracks 2.4 of it.  Like the OP I also manually initiate my run.  

If this problem persists when the 5 comes out in August it will be the last Samsung wearable I purchase.

0 Likes
PaulE-UK
First Poster
Options

I have a similar problem. I start my running activity manually, but the track of the run only starts about 2-300m into the run.

My theory is that the GPS isn't getting a fix straight away, and the tracking only starts when the GPS gets its fix. If this is the case then there would be two potential ways round it:

1. Get the watch to get a GPS fix before starting the activity. This is how my old and relatively simple Garmin tracker watch works - you select the running activity, and then it tells you to wait until it's got a GPS fix, after which you press something to actually start your run. However, I can't find a way to achieve this on the Galaxy watch 4. As soon as you press run it gives the countdown and then starts timing, whether or not it has a GPS fix. If there was a way to make it get GPS before starting the run activity that might solve it. Perhaps another GPS app like mapping or something. I will try that next time.

2. Pause the activity the moment it starts, and wait until the watch has a GPS fix before unpausing and starting to run. Good in theory, but it's actually very difficult to see when you have a fix, because the message 'paused' flashes over the top of the GPS indicator.

Unless I, and other posters to this thread, are missing something then this seems a glaring weakness in the functionality of the watch. This should be easy!

IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Out of curiosity.. What was the final solution, did any of you guys fixed the problem and if yes, would you like to share what you did
0 Likes
kewickviper
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same issue but with the original galaxy watch, it only started happening in the last few weeks. I agree with the poster above in that it seems to be an issue with getting a gps signal. I have my watch gps turned on all the time and I can't see any way to get the samsung app to pick it up. I used to use the strava app because you can actually wait on the main menu for it to get a gps fix before starting, but that app is so poorly programmed half the time it would crash. Seriously considering just ditching this watch and getting something better.

0 Likes
Karlartur
First Poster
Options

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Galaxy Active 2 watch. At first I thought it was getting confused because I left my phone at home and it might still have some sort of connection to my phone. Today I started my run in standalone mode and the same thing happened. The run was tracked correctly as I have the same distance as my wife but the map doesn't show the first few hundred meters. 

0 Likes