Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Remove email app from Gear S3 - OR - Prevent watch from locking CONSTANTLY

(Topic created on: 20-01-2018 12:26 PM)
ianwelles
Explorer
Options

I have my Galaxy S8 connected to my work account (activeysnc) to sync calendar only.  All other sync features are disabled.  This does require a passcode on my phone, which I use anyway, so this is not an issue.  Where the issue comes in is with the Gear S3.  It has the Samsung email installed by default and it cannot be removed.  In the Gear settings my emai account is turned off.  I still get a message frequently telling me to set up a PIN on the watch because my work account requires it.  I want to this to stop.  How can I make it stop?  I want this email app off my watch.

Solutions that are not viable for me:

• Using a different app to view/sync my work calendar.  I already have Outlook and use that for email.  I need all my calendars - business and personal - in one calendar view in Google Calendar app.
  • Rebooting -  I have done this literally dozens of times.  I have even replaced my phone and reset the watch.  Still does the same.

Ideal solution:

• Use a pin on the watch as it requests.  Unfortunately this is not viable for me because the watch locks CONSTANTLY. So often that I am NEVER able to look at the watch without first entering a PIN.

Any ideas out there?

Go to solution
29 REPLIES 29
Brilliantblue
Student
Options

That won't be good solution if you want the email account active in the phone.  Or as he described wanting the calendars... Those require same security protocols as an email.  Nice try and thanks... Still no fix.  I hate when Samsung forces certain apps down our throats... I just don't want the email app on galaxy watch.  

0 Likes
Brilliantblue
Student
Options
Does the Nine app offer same functionality as outlook. I am skeptic of this because corporate outlook activesynch etc won't allow this to happen. Will take a look but not optimistic. May be it works for regular outlook email but not corporate because in these they install a secure profile that requires specific things like ability to delete your phone data remotely, password of certain type etc
0 Likes
kmb2
Student
Options

I just turned off one of my email accounts and my watch stopped asking for a pin. The fix does work.

0 Likes
StefanCenusa
Apprentice
Options

This topic is not solved.

All mentioned "solutions" are just workarounds.

@Samsung, please resolve this issue as it is still present.

0 Likes
Berggy
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I have the same issue, tried different methods but none is working, can Samsung revert with the solution please.

0 Likes
GhostSpyRacer
Apprentice
Options

Hunter,  That may very well be how it worked for you.  However, that's not how it works for everyone.  I have not just turned off, but removed all email accounts from my phone.  Rebooted the watch: both the "None" option under the Security settings and the "Payments only" option under Usage are both grayed out and will not allow me to choose them.  I then completely deleted the email app from my watch.  Rebooted again.  No difference.

So, if you'd like to qualify your answer as "This worked for me", great.  But trust me, it's not a universal solution.

GhostSpyRacer

Gear:
Galaxy S8+
Galaxy Watch
Galaxy Tab S5e
0 Likes
Bifftannen
First Poster
Options

I added my work email to my phone and when I saw how much power it had over my phone I deleted it.

But it had already installed security protocols and my watch started using my payment pin to lock the whole thing.

I went to the galaxy wearable app on the phone, and scrolled down to apps, and deleted the email app from the watch.

I rebooted the watch and when it came back on it required the pin. But finally I was able  to into settings and change the lock to payments only .

DannieDarko88
Student
Options

Thank you so much! I have been searching for this answer for 2 years! 

0 Likes
DannieDarko88
Student
Options

I followed these instructions and then just readded the emails to my phone. The watch reminds me to set a pin due to my email account but I ignore it. 

0 Likes
DivaNL
First Poster
Options
This worked for me too. First I couldn't find how to delete the email app, but or worked when I pushed on the email app longer (in the Galaxy wearable app under apps, control apps)... hold it until you get the option to delete it. After that I could change the security settings on the watch to none.