Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

New watch 4 - not 100% compatible with non-samsung phones?

(Topic created on: 31-08-2021 09:18 PM)
Daniel71x
Student
Options
Wearables

Hi, 

I was really considering buying the new Watch 4 (I on't like how apple locks eveything in to its own ecosystem), but then read this article https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewwilliams/2021/08/26/the-samsung-galaxy-watch-4-does-not-work-prop... and seems Samsung is doing the same.

Does anyone know if that is so?

//Daniel 

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LaurenceGough
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Yes, ECG and BP does not work with non Samsung phone.

PS it's a 100% artificial restriction with no technical reasoning apart from Samsung's greediness on an already expensive watch. 

View solution in context

Solution
nippy
First Poster
Options
Wearables
I just bought a galaxy 4 watch 4g lite thinking I could leave my phone at home when I can't as o2 not compatible as it won't scan the q code to connect gutted

View solution in context

11 REPLIES 11
Solution
LaurenceGough
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Yes, ECG and BP does not work with non Samsung phone.

PS it's a 100% artificial restriction with no technical reasoning apart from Samsung's greediness on an already expensive watch. 

View solution in context

Solution
nippy
First Poster
Options
Wearables
I just bought a galaxy 4 watch 4g lite thinking I could leave my phone at home when I can't as o2 not compatible as it won't scan the q code to connect gutted

View solution in context

Daniel71x
Student
Options
Wearables

Thanks. Yes very stupid move now when they integrating even more with WatchOS....

0 Likes
Daniel71x
Student
Options
Wearables

Sorry to hear that

0 Likes
LionBerks
Navigator
Options
Wearables
Do you have long left on your contract? It works seamlessly with EE so hope you find a solution soon.
0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Wearables
Hey there Nippy!

Just pinging you a quick message as I saw a comment you made regarding your GW4 and not being able to hook it up to O2.

I had a similar issue when I first got my watch - my solution was to take it into the store along with my phone, and they issued me a Watch Plan for a fiver a month and gave me an eSIM to scan from within the Wear app.

This solved my issue, so if you've still got your GW4 it's well worth a try.

If you need any additional help, you're welcome to ping a message back and I'll do my best!

Best wishes,
Tom
Becky9
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Funny, I've been seeing conflicting info all over so I asked a Samsung rep on live chat and they said the phone you have doesn't matter. Good job I didn't buy if this is true!

0 Likes
Daniel71x
Student
Options
Wearables

Hmmm... Maybe I'll order it online, try it, and if it doesn't work send it back (all online purchases come with a 14-day money back guarantee in Europe)...

0 Likes
Becky9
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

You could do if you're not fussed about sending it back, waiting for refunds etc. Don't do it based on what that rep told me though, I feel like they were mistaken. From what I've gathered a non-Samsung phone can do everything but BP and ECG, though I'm looking for confirmation.

0 Likes