Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

New watch 4 - not 100% compatible with non-samsung phones?

(Topic created on: 02-09-2021 05:36 PM)
Daniel71x
Student
Options

Hi, 

I was really considering buying the new Watch 4 (I on't like how apple locks eveything in to its own ecosystem), but then read this article https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewwilliams/2021/08/26/the-samsung-galaxy-watch-4-does-not-work-prop... and seems Samsung is doing the same.

Does anyone know if that is so?

//Daniel 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Solution
LaurenceGough
Pioneer
Options

Yes, ECG and BP does not work with non Samsung phone.

PS it's a 100% artificial restriction with no technical reasoning apart from Samsung's greediness on an already expensive watch. 

Solution
nippy
First Poster
Options
I just bought a galaxy 4 watch 4g lite thinking I could leave my phone at home when I can't as o2 not compatible as it won't scan the q code to connect gutted
Daniel71x
Student
Options

Thanks. Yes very stupid move now when they integrating even more with WatchOS....

0 Likes
Daniel71x
Student
Options

Sorry to hear that

0 Likes
LionBerks
Pioneer
Options
Do you have long left on your contract? It works seamlessly with EE so hope you find a solution soon.
0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey there Nippy!

Just pinging you a quick message as I saw a comment you made regarding your GW4 and not being able to hook it up to O2.

I had a similar issue when I first got my watch - my solution was to take it into the store along with my phone, and they issued me a Watch Plan for a fiver a month and gave me an eSIM to scan from within the Wear app.

This solved my issue, so if you've still got your GW4 it's well worth a try.

If you need any additional help, you're welcome to ping a message back and I'll do my best!

Best wishes,
Tom
Becky9
Apprentice
Options

Funny, I've been seeing conflicting info all over so I asked a Samsung rep on live chat and they said the phone you have doesn't matter. Good job I didn't buy if this is true!

0 Likes
Daniel71x
Student
Options

Hmmm... Maybe I'll order it online, try it, and if it doesn't work send it back (all online purchases come with a 14-day money back guarantee in Europe)...

0 Likes
Becky9
Apprentice
Options

You could do if you're not fussed about sending it back, waiting for refunds etc. Don't do it based on what that rep told me though, I feel like they were mistaken. From what I've gathered a non-Samsung phone can do everything but BP and ECG, though I'm looking for confirmation.

0 Likes