Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Stops Recording work out part way through

(Topic created on: 16-05-2020 03:03 PM)
Seftonbarn
Journeyman
Options

So this is really annoying now.  For months the watch has been fine but a couple of weeks ago now I got half way through a run and the watch stopped recording.  I use the watches work out app, select running (basic work out) and press start.  It records for about 10 minutes and then stops.   So a couple of days ago I set the screen to stary on during the run and it was fine for one run.  I ran again today and again it stoped after about 2km; no record of the run at all.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

231 REPLIES 231
TheWalker
Journeyman
Options

I am having same problem recently.

How will we know when the issue is resolved?

Kayzzer
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same problem. Send an error report just now, hope it helps, this is very frustrating.

0 Likes
Redmanc35
First Poster
Options

I've been having the same problem in the last few weeks. Just been for a walk and it stopped part way through, tried to restart and it will not stay on longer than a minute without stopping and going back to the watchface

sjepaddock
Journeyman
Options

As a work around , I've been using a free app on the watch called MapMyRun. It tracks lots of other activities such as bike rides, workouts, yoga. It syncs seemlessly with the Samsung Health app on my phone.

And the great thing is that it doesn't stop part way through my workout! 😂 

mang0
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for this. I would of course ideally like to use Samsung Health as I used to, but for the time being I'll use MapMyRun!
Then hopefully if it syncs to Samsung Health, it will still sync to my Strava account as connected!

What a hack of a workaround.

I tried to record a run yesterday using Samsung Health on my watch and it didn't work at all. Stopped every 0.5 - 2km. No autopause turned on or manual pausing.
Looking at the screen, it looks like even though I have started a run it is showing me the little running figure at the bottom of the screen as if it's auto-detecting a workout. When I tap it, nothing happens, and then the watch freezes up for a while, and then it's as if I deliberately ended the workout.

Also struggling to find the logs...
froth1309
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue with my Galaxy Watch Active2 in combination with my Galaxy S10e, but only after the software update on the S10e (Build QP1A.190711.020.G970FXXS5CTD1)

0 Likes
torquay_mark
Apprentice
Options

I've tried something out and it has worked so far...

I wait for my Galaxy Watch  to get GPS and Heart Rate  (i.e  the little icons stop  flashing) before starting the activity.

This has resulted in my first successfully tracked runs and bike rides in weeks.

Oden_son
Journeyman
Options

This is good to know. I will have to try that and report the findings.

0 Likes
sjepaddock
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the top tip, torquay_mark! 

0 Likes
mang0
Journeyman
Options

@torquay_mark wrote:

I've tried something out and it has worked so far...

I wait for my Galaxy Watch  to get GPS and Heart Rate  (i.e  the little icons stop  flashing) before starting the activity.

This has resulted in my first successfully tracked runs and bike rides in weeks.

I tried this today, was really excited as I thought that's an easy fix and workaround -at least temporarily- for us.

However, no luck. I waited until the icons stopped flashing and my HR was displayed before I started my run.

I made it about 250m before I lifted my wrist to check and the workout had stopped, and the little running man icon was showing on the bottom of the screen as if it had auto-detected a workout.

I tapped the little man icon to 'open' or 'unminimalise' the app as you normally would, and the screen froze, went black and the watch became unresponsive.

Once I completed my run (I was tracking via Strava on my phone too because I didn't trust my watch) I tried to upload an error report via the Galaxy Wearable App, but the app is endlessly stuck on 'Collecting Gear logs...'

@TessM perhaps you could shed some light on this?

EDIT: 
I really am growing to believe this is an auto-detection bug. I just opened Samsung Health on my phone, and a rough version of the run I did today is there! No GPS info, no HR info but speed/duration/distance/cadence are listed there.

This shouldn't have been detected - it is listed as 'Running (auto)', but I have auto-detect workout turned OFF on my watch! And when I try to open Samsung Health app on my watch right now as I write this, it freezes the entire watch and I have had to reboot it.

EDIT 2:

God this is like a rabbit hole... after finding this post: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearables/Galaxy-fit-e-stops-recording-workouts/m-p/1725619#M146...

I decided to check that auto-record was turned off. In the Samsung Health phone app settings, the toggle was set to ON despite me having had it turned OFF since I got the watch! It was greyed out so I was unable to disable from my phone. I opened Samsung Health on the watch and went to settings - all auto-detects were turned ON! I have disabled them (again) and I will report back after my workout tomorrow.