Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 46mm Not counting steps

(Topic created on: 09-09-2018 11:51 AM)
J8cko
Explorer
Options

Received my galaxy watch on Friday but no matter what I do I cannot get the step counter to work properly, I've tried all the suggested things to fix the problem but nothing works, the step count is so intermittent or dosent work at all. 

If I get up and walk around it counts nothing, jog up the stairs and it starts counting, sit down and get up again and the watch stops counting. 

I've seen alot of posts with people with the same problem and all of them returning there watches, I love the watch and don't really want to return it if it's a software issue that can be fixed.

Anyone else UK having the same issue

568 REPLIES 568
lusan
Journeyman
Options

What is more ridiculous is that they haven't even released a statement regarding the matter.

Failing at the very basics of communication.

They are selling expensive lemons while advertising state of the art technology.

That's got a name: scam.

GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@kap - 

If issue is known by Samsung but they are not going to fix it then it will make class action easier to win

That was sort of my point here. Samsung dont regard the step feature we complain about as an issue, its there by design. If they dont see an issue, its not down on the list to resolve.

Dont get me wrong, Im with you all on this issue, read back through some of my early posts in August, there were a few of us on here testing this day in, day out, hammering Samsung for this problem and engaging with the mods daily on a range of issues from steps, calories, sleep & HR to name a few.

The HR they tell me is still being looked at, steps is by design (apparently) & Ive lost track of the other issues as I simply got fed up being samsungs unpaid tester.

The bottom line here in my humble opinion, these are low profit items compared to Samsungs worldwide offerings of TVs, kitchen goods etc etc, 10,000 (estimate) users complaining about missed steps isnt going to scratch the surface of their profits.

The impression I and many others at that time got from Samsung staff was the watch is functioning correctly, if its not to your standards we will refund you or send it back for repair. Not great in any way, but after 7 weeks of trying I gave up and accepted it. I now have a baseline that I work too, much the same as my Fitbits & Garmins I once owned. If I did 15000 steps yesterday, and 12000 steps today Im 3000 down so need to work harder tomorrow. Its not exact science I know but it is what it is and gives me some kind of goal to aim at.

Can it be fixed, its definately software related so has to be Tizen 4 or more likely Samsung Health as Under Armour works perfectly when installed on Watch. So yes it could be, whether Samsung decide its important enough I guess is the bigger question.

0 Likes
Mikey78
First Poster
Options

I tried UnderArmour but didnt work at all, would have been happy with that if it worked.

Can you confirm UnderArmour counts steps correctly ? does it have HR features ?

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options

@GaryBrett "The bottom line here in my humble opinion, these are low profit items compared to Samsungs worldwide offerings of TVs, kitchen goods etc etc, 10,000 (estimate) users complaining about missed steps isnt going to scratch the surface of their profits."

They should know better. I am planning on buying my girlfriend a tablet for Christmas and now I know it won't be a Samsung. My tv is screaming for a replacement next year and now I know it won't be a Samsung. Next time I need a phone I know it won't be a Samsung.

We might only be a few thousands here, but we are a few thousands geeky enough and with enough purchasing power to waste £299 on a completely unnecessary gadget like a smartwatch.

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@Mikey78 - To be honest I cant recall about the steps, I was testing for HR & calories burnt and only installed for 5 or 6 workouts. It hammered the battery so I uninstalled after sending logs to Samsung.

Really was quite good for workout tracking, HR was perfectly matched to Fitbit..

0 Likes
rdbn
Apprentice
Options

I have a 46mm one, recently bought, and I cannot see the difference in counted steps from before (when I had only the phone counting them on S Health) and now (S Health downloads data from the watch). When I come home from work I usually have the same number of steps as the other days (I have a somewhat fixed schedule, any changes can be seen immediately). The floor count seems ok at work, but not at home (I have two floors and i go a lot upstairs, it does not count them).

I haven't looked into the HR settings yet.

Model number: SM-R800

Tizen Version: 4.0.01

SW Version: R800XXU1BRJ4

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options

That might depend on the type of work that you do. 

0 Likes
rdbn
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, programming. So a lot of time spent in front of a computer, but on my lunch break I walk to specific destinations so I have a certain number of steps that I will take.

Any "deviation" will show up in the step counter :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options

@rdbn wrote:

Yeah, programming. So a lot of time spent in front of a computer, but on my lunch break I walk to specific destinations so I have a certain number of steps that I will take.

Any "deviation" will show up in the step counter :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Yup, that's why, that walk to the sandwich shop at lunch time is recorded with no problems. It is the short walks with constant breaks between them that are not being recorded. i.e. 10 steps, 10 seconds break, ten steps more, 10 seconds break...

You can check it on your watch easily.

0 Likes
rdbn
Apprentice
Options

I checked that yesterday, while walking in the backyard at home, only after reaching a certain number (20 i guess) steps the number was increasing.

At work, when I go and get some water or a bathroom break, the number of steps are > 20, so they are counted, even the floors.

But there are times that I take more than 20 steps and they are recorded, and in those instances usually I do not have my phone with me, so the total number of steps is about the same or a bit higher. I am still getting accustomed to the watch, still.

0 Likes