Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a heart rate monitor belt to Galaxy Watch5 Pro

(Topic created on: 24-01-2023 04:47 PM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Hi All,
I am hoping somebody has information about it: I would like to connect a heart rate monitor belt (chest-strap) to the watch. This would allow me to monitor heart rate when I can't wear my watch (such as when working with kettlebells).

Samsung customer service suggested to try to connect the belt to my watch using bluetooth. This doesn't work because the watch doesn't recognize the Suunto Smart Sensor bluetooth belt.

However, I did manage to connect the same belt to Samsung Health on my Galaxy S21 Ultra.

I have two questions I hope to get some help on:

- Anyone knows if Watch5 can connect via bluetooth to Suunto Smart Sensor bluetooth heart rate monitor belt? If so, how?

- If not, is there any heart rate chest strap by any other manufacturer that can work with Watch 5 Pro?

(Samsung unfortunately doesn't manufacture this accessory, but I hope its watch can still connect to one.)

30 REPLIES 30
Catelp
Journeyman
Options

You download Google Fit and enable all permissions. Scroll to the end and if you accepted the permissions, you should see a option called Bluetooth Sensors. It worked with my Lifeline (generic) band. If SUNTOO band have Bluetooth, then it is possible. 

Yellow7080
Student
Options

Understood. I'm trying to connect my belt to Samsung health, though. Not possible on the Galaxy watch.

0 Likes
Catelp
Journeyman
Options

Samsung Health is not designed to be used with 3rd party heart rate monitors. You must use G Fit. Another one is Adidas Runtastic but this cannot sync to Samsung Health

0 Likes
VladislavV87
Journeyman
Options

We need this. Even if Samsung releases their proprietary belts, it's still going to be better than what they have right now. 

Galaxy Watch 5 Pro is accurate as long as your heart rate is stable. It's very slow at picking up change in the heart rate. I compared it to Polar watch with the strap. 

The polar watch detects change maybe 7 times faster and I have a very old model. Galaxy watch just lags behind. 

It's probably accurate enough for most people when you just want to see the intensity of your exercises over time, but my exercise routine relies on being in a specific zone and the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro is just not fast enough in reflecting the change. 

To give you an example, it takes Galaxy Watch 5 Pro about 2-3 seconds to detect that I changed the pace, but if you're staying in one pace the watch is very accurate. It's maybe one point off, but usually on the dot. 

Callmemarc
First Poster
Options

It sucks that Samsung has not put the ability to pair external heart rate sensors into Samsung Health.  This is what I used to do when I had a Galaxy Watch.  If workout tracking is important, you are really better off using a watch from Garmin, Polar, Coros, etc..

1. Install Google Fit on  your Galaxy Watch
  2. Pair your heart rate monitor in Google Fit on your watch
  3. Track your workout on your watch with Google Fit
  4. Get an app called Health Sync on your phone to sync your workout from Google Fit to Samsung Health
Chronos1000
First Poster
Options

You can use Google Fit or Ghostracer (fantastic app and best for battery, really better than GFit. But does not sink with GFit and Health).

Really a shame that Samsung don't allow external sensors.

JuanVelasco
First Poster
Options

Using the samsung health app go to settings on the home screen - primary screen ( upper right) find accessories and pair one from the options provided. There's bike sensors - activity trackers - blood glucose meter - blood pressure meter - HEART RATE MONITOR ( there's Suunto, Polar, GPULSE, Jabra, Scosche and Wahoo options to pair here!) - Smartwatch - and weight scales. Just found this today - started my running journey 3 weeks ago. Learning as i go. Should in theory work somehow with the Galaxy Watchpro 5 i have. It is supported on Samsung Health app so we'll see. Heart rate monitor is on the list of things to get for me! Hope this helps.

0 Likes
jaaem
First Poster
Options

So I managed to do it like @JuanVelasco and add Sunto Smart Sensor. But I still have no clue if the heart rate monitor works or not. Could you somehow see that samsung health really takes the heart rate from the Suunto Monitor? Because I can't use the measurement without the watch. And putting on and off the sensor does not seem to change the data...?!

0 Likes
efbill
Journeyman
Options

It is unacceptable. Samsung watch users have been asking for this feature for years. 

Catelp
Journeyman
Options
Check if.the green light on the back of the watch is flashing green.if so it is using watch sensor. Use G Fit is easier
0 Likes