Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Cannot update Watch Classic 4 - "Couldn't copy update Connect your watch to a wi-fi network, then try again." error message

(Topic created on: 30-09-2021 09:23 AM)
churchym
Journeyman
Options

Whenever I try to update my new Classic 4, I get an error saying 

I have tried to install and managed to download the update via the phone and also the watch, both ways say:

"Copying update to your watch..."

But after a few minutes I get a message saying:

"Couldn't copy update

Connect your watch to a wi-fi network, then try again."

My wifi is connected to the same network on the mobile and also the watch.

I have reset my watch a few times, I have also uninstalled all Samsung Wearable and Health apps and re-installed and for the last few days I have been trying to get this working and it has always failed.

Anyone else having this issue or got over this problem?

Go to solution
40 REPLIES 40
Burslayer
First Poster
Options

Hi I also experienced this issue recently. After a few day of failing to update my watch4, I understood where the problem is. "Copying update to your watch..."  is the best clue. It tells you that the update is on your phone. And then  "Couldn't copy update Connect your watch to a wi-fi network, then try again."  means it failed to send it to your watch. Pretty simple logic and pretty obvious. So we all tried to update from the watch. Thing is if you are connected to the phone, even if you start the update from the watch. The update will still  be downloaded to the phone. So the solution?

Disconnect your watch from the phone . Than update from the watch.

This worked to solve my problem. Hope it helps everyone else that reads this.

0 Likes
PRATEEKJAIN
First Poster
Options

FIRST TRUN OFF UR MOBILE WIFI DATA AND BLUETOOTH AND THE CONNECT UR WATCH WITH WIFI AND TRUN OFF UR WATCH BLUETOOTH AND THE SRECH FOR UPDATS IT WILL START DOWNLODING ON WATCH AFTER THE DOWNLODE IT WILL ASK YOU FOR INSTALLING JUST PRESS INSTALL AND YOU DONE ( IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME )

0 Likes
locka99
First Poster
Options

I constantly get this error. Phone downloads an update, watch shows an error. I think the data transfer over bluetooth between watch and phone is just broken - either timing out or having some other issue. It should at least attempt to retry / resume if it has an error. Try enough times with the two devices close to each other and eventually it might work but it isn't an acceptable experience

Anyway, one  workaround is to disable bluetooth on the phone, and connect to wifi from the watch so you bypass the phone altogether. Seems more reliable because the watch can directly download the update and not rely on the phone to do it.

0 Likes
tomtomazack
Student
Options

Well *****, that did indeed fix it. Amazing how a gigant company like Samsung can make so crappy software.. Needless to say, ain't buying more Samsung watches, this will be the first and last. Thanks a lot. 

0 Likes
Abhishek2
First Poster
Options

Hey,

Have you found the solution,

I am having the same issue

0 Likes
gsc1699
First Poster
Options

i just resolved this issue, follow these steps to update it,

• Disconnect your watch from your phone
  • Connect to a wifi on your watch
  • go to settings and install the update directly from your phone 
0 Likes
tomtomazack
Student
Options

Try reading previous posts, locka99 already wrote this. 

PratikM
First Poster
Options

The best way I found is disconnecting from Bluetooth, connecting to the wifi from the watch, and downloading the update directly on the watch. 

Lex Myster
First Poster
Options

I contacted Samsung about this after almost a year of not being able to update my watch, they said it was because my phone and watch were different makes. (I find this hard to believe as my watch should be able to update itself without needing a phone and has updated previously) but this got me thinking maybe it's the copying from my phone to my watch that is causing the issue, so why not just cut out the middle man. Samsung are being a little sneaky on this one and the support team said I should buy a Samsung handset to solve the issue! 

0 Likes
Eadjr
First Poster
Options

I also faced the same issue.... it was showing that i should turn on bluetooth to copy the update file to my watch even after my bluetooth is already on..... 

after many tries i came to realize that maybe the files can be copied if both watch and phone is in same wifi network... so i kept wifi, Bluetooth and GPS turned-on on both my phone and watch.... after doing this i tried again and finally it started copying files to my watch.... 

so my guess was right.... Thet file was actually transfered through wifi only... because the update file around 1gb and it finished copying to my watch in just 2 minutes....a 1gb file would take extremely long time to copy if it was send through bluetooth.... and at the same time my network speed on my phone notification panel was going around 7mb to 10mb till the copying finished....so for sure the file was tranfered through wifi... 

so i guess we should connect phone and watch to same wifi network and also keep the GPS On on both watch and phone....

0 Likes