Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE43TU8507 subtitles

(Topic created on: 20-09-2020 07:44 AM)
v-c
Apprentice
Options

For a Samsung UE43TU8507 TV (UK) is there a simple way to switch SUBTITLES on and off without going through a TV menu (which has other options such as audio-description) ?

My elderly aunt is not very good at navigating onscreen menus and just wants a button that switches subtitles on or off depending on what she’s watching.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
AndrewL
Options

@v-c: To access subtitles via the accessibility shortcuts menu please press the AD/SUBT. button, located towards the bottom of the remote, under the letter C. Alternatively, press the Select button in the centre of the directional arrows. I hope this helps. 

0 Likes
v-c
Apprentice
Options

Hi Andrew, Thanks - when I press the AD/SUBT button it doesn't actually switch the subtitles on ; it just takes you to an onscreen menu which requires 6 further button pushes to scroll through the menu and change the setting . The whole process involves using 4 very tiny buttons on the remote. Its not at all user-friendly to an older person with poorer eyesight and less hand mobility.
On her old TV remote the Subtitles Button just switched them ON or OFF which is exactly what she wants (without having to scroll through a menu).
I was wondering if there is any other shortcut or an alternative controller which would allow this.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@v-c: Did you try pressing the Select button in the centre of the directional arrows, as this is also referenced in the user manual as a means of accessing Subtitles on terrestrial channels?

0 Likes
v-c
Apprentice
Options

Are you referring to the bit in the eGuide manual where it says "You can watch TV broadcasts with subtitles. To activate/deactivate the Subtitle function, press the Select button." ( under heading 1 - Settings) ?
I think that is just referring to how you can get to the subtitles menu from within the main Settings menu.
Or do you have access to a series 8 TV where you can test it out ?
Unfortunately my aunt lives 100 miles away and I am now at home so I cannot test it on her TV.

funkydoowopper
First Poster
Options

This is a real problem that needs further action. Pressing the select button simply produces the information display. Holding it does not do anything else. The problem is not simply the excessive number of button pushes but that there is also voice description of the process which obliterates the program sound and which I can’t get rid of. Like the first poster I simply want to toggle subtitles on and off with a single button push, sometimes in the same program where some voices are not sufficiently clear or are in an unfamiliar accent. Surely it must be possible to reprogram a button to allow toggling, eg as with Panasonic TVs.

Johnwilson8142
First Poster
Options

I don’t supposed this ever got resolved? It is the most stupid piece of design.  I am deaf and sometimes want subtitles. My wife has to suffer interruption to her viewing while I go through the convoluted process with the irritating and intrusive voice commentary.   Grrrrrr!!!!

0 Likes
Subitoraon
First Poster
Options

Subitoraon

0 Likes