Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV hijacks right control stick to change volume when in Steam Link app/game since the latest update

(Topic created on: 09-12-2022 12:22 AM)
simonj2
Apprentice
Options

See this Reddit post for more information. When using any of:

- Wired Xbox controller

- Wireless Xbox controller

Logitech F710 controller

With Steam Link on several Samsung TV models (QN65QN85DAFXZA,qe55qn90a), the right control stick now adjusts volume in the app and in-game. This makes Steam Link unplayable for people as the right control stick can't be used without making the TV hit 0 or 100% volume.

It looks like this may be related to the 2111 release, as this was working previously and many users are reporting the same problem now. This originally seemed to be a problem with Steam, but now we realize it may be a problem with Samsung's new software.

PLEASE LIKE AND REPLY TO THIS US FORUM THREAD TOO: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/QLED-and-The-Frame/TV-hijacks-right-control-stick-to-change-volu... 

Samsung US can't read the European forum apparently :facepalm:

130 REPLIES 130
Lucas Munhoz
First Poster
Options

Do we have any support case opened with Steam? Maybe they can provide more info on the matter. 

Is this a Global Issue? I’m from Brazil, and I have a Q80A with the same issue.

Maybe we can reach the LinusTechTips forum also, there is some visibility there and the crew might be able to get us in touch with someone at Samsung (not a probable thing, but we can at least try hahaha)

0 Likes
José Tissei
First Poster
Options

i've had this problem for almost a year now, does samsung even care? what about xcloud?

0 Likes
bametz
Apprentice
Options

My solution was to switch to a raspberry pi 3 and installed the steam link installation on it. It works without any problems but it is definitely not as convenient (more wiring and a separate system). My recommendation would be to get a raspberry pi 4 which supports 4k because a quick fix seems out of reach. Since the gaming hub will come to older tv models i doubt steam will put any effort into further supporting the samsung third party steam link app developers. I also doubt steam will be supported by the gaming hub anytime soon since the focus is on pure cloud gaming and not inhouse streaming.

0 Likes
Abrooski
Student
Options

This is the worst! I was excited to play some games but pressing the xbox button messes everything up:(

0 Likes
Abrooski
Student
Options

I can confirm the same exact issue is happening to me now. SAMSUNG! I LOVE YOUR ECOSYSTEM! I want to stay in it, but for the love of god provide us the option to stop our game controller from controlling the tv.

Games are unplayable now

0 Likes
Facundo Ballantines
First Poster
Options

Same issue with Xbox controller. Samsung please fix this.

0 Likes
Frisco4105
Apprentice
Options

Doesn't look like Steam is going to be the one that will fix this anytime soon as their app hasn't been updated since 2021 for the Samsung TV. All we can hope for now is that Samsung fixes this so keep putting preasure on their community pages.

In the meantime there is a (clunky) workaround:

The idea is to have the video and audio being streamed by the TV while the controls are being streamed by another device like your phone or tablet.

1. Set steam-link on your TV to only stream Audio and Video.

2. Make sure to unpair your controller from your TV and pair it instead with your tablet or phone.

3. Install and launch steam link on your tablet or phone and only stream the controls (disable video and audio).

Works pritty ok but can cause a little bit of input lag.

imajared
Student
Options

I did have a conversation with Samsung Australian Support to report the issue and they advised that they were escalating it to level 2 support?

Will update this forum if I get a reply worth reporting 😕

BenBentz
Journeyman
Options

You achieved an escalation to 2nd level? I think that's a first concerning this issue... it's running against windmills here.. thank you!

0 Likes
NestorBR
Apprentice
Options

I have contacted Samsung Support US on twitter (@SamsungSupport) and they say they can't even open the link to this thread to learn more about the issue because this page is destined for the EU, not the US/Americas.

That is a ridiculous response, but anyway... since the only way to hope for some fix is to keep applying more pressure, I copied this same thread on the US community page. If everyone reading this could post their comments and complaints there as well, maybe someone else will happen to find and fix this issue.

Link: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/QLED-and-The-Frame/TV-hijacks-right-control-stick-to-change-volu...

0 Likes