Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Off HDR for Samsung's Netlix App

(Topic created on: 13-09-2019 03:00 PM)
_Kai_
Apprentice
Options

I have Samsung NU7100. While watching the OA on Samsung's defualt Netflix app I have notices it was dark, after increasing the brightness I noticed OA was on HDR.

I am not able to enjoy enyshow which are in HDR. Is there any way I can disable HDR for Netflix APP?

39 REPLIES 39
phanikara
Explorer
Options

I am pretty sure its just the Netflix HDR. If you are having issues with all HDR, then fiddle with different modes on your TV. Also test your ambient light sensor and make sure it's not blocked by packaging tapes etc.

0 Likes
DBear85
Journeyman
Options
Will have a look but Disney+ is the worst offender. Talking built in smart apps here
0 Likes
phanikara
Explorer
Options

This is what solved the issue for me. Install a FireTV 4K stick (Approx 29 bucks on offer). It has an option to disable HDR hidden on one of its settings menu. Install Disney+, Netflix etc offending apps on it and it looks very good. Thankfully ATMOS and all features work ok (just like on TV) even when played through the FireTV 4K.

DBear85
Journeyman
Options
Sold. Better that than a new TV :smiling-face: Cheers. Seriously though, this panel sucks and I'm surprised no one thought to give us the option. Even moonlight is too much for it (slight exaggeration....). But i have played with settings no end
Dennisb11
Apprentice
Options

Disney plus will not provide any devices with a 4K non-HDR stream. Amazon Prime video and Netflix will. So if you disable HDR you are getting a 1080p stream on Disney plus. FYI the other way to force non-HDR is Apple TV 

Lawrose
Journeyman
Options

My long-time solution to this issue has been to use Apple TV and set it to SDR. I don't do it for everything - in fact, I use it sparingly - but for those movies that are so dark as to lose the plot, or miss important details, I don't enable HDR on the ATV and I also disable match content. Voila. The result is often an excellent, bright, and colorful 4K SDR version of the production where I can see everything I could not see in the HDR version. This issue is truly the emperor's new clothes and it has been going on now for years - since HDR was first available. Phooey. Enough.

Colin554
Journeyman
Options

I got the Samsung Q60B 55" TV early last year... All new shows are in HDR and are unwatchable. Samsung support useless and Netflix support tells me it is the TV. NEVER buying Samsung again. The best settings i've managed to find is to set gamma correction to max + shadow detail to max... but still some shows like Rebel Moon is just so dark I stop watching.   I will look into the Apple TV device recommendation people gave here.

0 Likes
phanikara
Explorer
Options

It's definitely not the TV as Prime Video has perfect HDR. The Netflix HDR is also an issue in Samsung phones as well. So Netflix uses something proprietary that's not handled by Samsung 

0 Likes
Dennisb11
Apprentice
Options

Just get an Apple TV 4K. You can get used ones on eBay for 50 bucks. It lets you lock it into SDR. Netflix in Amazon prime provide 4K SDR streams. Disney Plus does not so if you lock it in SDR you'll only get 1080p at Disney Plus

0 Likes
phanikara
Explorer
Options

Also get a Amazon 4K stick with remote. Way too cheap but very reliable and also has an option to disable HDR. 

0 Likes