Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeshift / pause live TV with QE32Q50A

(Topic created on: 04-11-2022 04:15 PM)
John Kavanagh
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

We’ve just bought a new TV, the 32” Q50A (full model number is QE32050AAUXXU).

I’m a little underwhelmed to be honest, it’s replacing a 9 year-old Bravia; it’s difficult at the moment to see where it’s an improvement (and the backlight bleed is taking some getting used to).

I’d been told that this TV was able to pause live TV (apparently called Timeshift). The manuals are really very poor and don’t seem to have ‘proper’ instructions on how to set it up or use it.

I’ve gotten as far as installing a few different USB drives into the HDD USB port, but there’s no option to format it, or use it to pause TV. They do - however - all turn up as a source that I could presumedly play video/audio files from..

Am I mistaken? Is this even a thing with this TV? Are there step-by-step instructions on how to get it working?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
AndrewL
Options

@John Kavanagh: To begin with, please head to Home > Settings > General > System Manager > Time > Clock, and make sure the correct time is set on the TV. It is recommended to use a USB hard disk that supports USB 2.0 or later and 5,400 rpm or higher, however please be aware that RAID-type USB hard drives and USB memory sticks are not supported.

Timeshift is available on Live TV, and can be activated by pressing the '123' button on the remote TWICE (with red, green and yellow circles inset), then press the Select button or press the button with the red, green and yellow circles, then select Timeshift. Alternatively, on the standard remote, you can use the Play/Pause and rewind buttons located at the bottom of the remote. 

For more information, please consult page 104 of the user manual via the link below. 

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202109/20210910124253866/OSNDVBEUA-7.2.0_EM_OSCAR_EU_E...

0 Likes
John Kavanagh
First Poster
Options

@AndrewL thank you. I’ve actually been through these steps a few times.

Installed is a Western Digital My Passport HDD, which meets all the technical requirements (and which I’ve seen recommended for this here on the support forums). It’s installed into the ‘HDD’ USB port on the rear of the TV.

Clock is set correctly:

17FCA0A1-DB7B-46E2-9CC0-EC606BC49896.jpeg

Timeshift is not an option when I press the ‘123’ button twice during live TV broadcast:

279B5EE1-E499-4201-97BD-3502EE40A800.jpeg

A small message reading ‘Not Available’ is displayed if I press the play or pause buttons on the non-smart remote:

16DB4E61-A7B3-432A-A2B5-5B00D472CDC9.jpeg

Is this definitely available on this model? Where am I going wrong?

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes
John Kavanagh
First Poster
Options

Any chance you might be able to revisit this with me @AndrewL ?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@John Kavanagh: Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. For clarity, are you attempting to record programmes that are being viewed via an aerial connection? When you connect the storage device, do you see any pop-up notifications to indicate that it has been recognised, and are you prompted to format the device? Formatting is required for the feature to function correctly, so if you're unable to perform this action on the TV itself, try formatting it on a home computer so it is completely free of data. I understand that your current device meets the specifications I mentioned in my previous post, but you may also wish to explore an alternate option if the issue persists. 

0 Likes
Peter W
First Poster
Options

Hi.  I too have just bought a Samsung QE32Q50AE, and can't get the Timeshift function working.  After a lot of discussion with the retailer (who believed it could timeshift) and with Samsung's online chat support, I am now told that you can't use timeshift with this model.  They think it's only available on the larger screen sizes.  

Very, very disappointed with this.

NB Have done all the steps above, and am using a HDD that I used to use with my old Samsung TV for timeshifting.  

0 Likes
desslok
First Poster
Options

Also can not figure this out. Regretting my purchase as the TCL Roku TV I replaced had a much easier to use OS and you could plug a flash drive in and it would instantly recognize and work with live tv pause/recording.  I've tried multiple drives so far and nothing has been recognized.  This needs to be clarified and documented with recommended hardware specs (the ones in the manual are super vague -minimum 5400 rpm is basically the only real spec mentioned) and step by step, model/remote specific instructions.

0 Likes
juan-666
Student
Options

Hello.
I bought the model TQ32Q50AEUXXC, and I have the same problem as you, Not Available.
I would have bought an LG, which does have TimeShift, and on top of that I would save 150€.

0 Likes