Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The receiver does not turn on when I turn on the TV

(Topic created on: 01-08-2020 02:39 AM)
DanielDias
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I just bought a Q900 8k 75” (QN75Q900RBGXZD) to replace an old (2014) Samsung TV and there are a few annoying things that doesn’t work on this model that used to work on the old model.

One of these things is related to the Anynet+.

I have my TV connected to a Yamaha receiver RX-A1060. With the old TV I was able to turn on the receiver when I turned on the TV using the TV remote control (just clicking the TV turn on button it also turned on the receiver) and turning off the TV the receiver also turned off.

With the Q900, when I turn on the TV the receiver doesn’t turn on. I need to use the receiver remote control. I can see that every time I turn on the TV, the TV Speakers is set as default audio output. If I change it to Receiver (HDMI) the receiver turn on.

The turn off is working: when I turn the TV off, the receiver aldo turn off.

My question is: Is there any configuration I couldn’t find the enable the feature to turn the receiver on when I turn the TV on? Or is there any way to set the Receiver (HDMI) as default audio output even when the TV is restarted?

Thanks.

Daniel

135 REPLIES 135
John661
Apprentice
Options

I don’t have a reply but when I turn my Yamaha RX-A4A off it turns the tv off as intended but then the tv turns back on when I use the Yamaha remote. When I turn the tv on with the Samsung remote it won’t even turn the receiver on. It’s so frustrating 

0 Likes
Plasman
Explorer
Options

Hi John, since your amp does not turn on with the tv remote but does turn off then it's possible a previous solution I posted might be relevant, if you've not already seen it. It assumes that your receiver is connected to the ARC/eARC hdmi port of your tv, and that all the relevant settings ion the tv / receiver are correct. This is it:

Try making sure that the arc/eARC source is not the last source selected.

So in my case on the q95t select hdmi source 1,2 or 4, or Samsung TV app (that seems to count as a source). Key is to make sure you do NOT  leave the eARC output selected on the tv (probably HDMI 3).
The tv always remembers the last source selected, no matter what tv apps you use. 
Then the receiver will turn off and on as expected.

All you have to do is remember to select another source after you,ve been using the hdmi 3/eARC source (usually you only select this source to view the receiver settings menu on your tv).
Of course this work around is not so useful if you actually use your receiver as a regular source. But the whole point of eARC is that you don’t need to run your sources via the receiver, so this generally shouldn’t be an issue.

zamorr
First Poster
Options

After breaking my head on this topic I came across this thread, only to find out there is no real solution... I have my Q60R for a while now, previously with a Yamaha receiver and now a Denon, but never used CEC/ARC as my Logitech Harmony remote just flipped all the switches smoothly for years. As it broke down last month and the remotes are discontinued, I (and especially the family) has gone through hell trying to get a picture and sound from our TV box and game devices...

I really don't understand how it can be so hard to fix this, let alone take two years without Samsung support even responding. My previous Samsung TV broke down after 10y, but his successor will surely be the last of the brand as I'm already sorry I bought it. 

0 Likes
Xero711
Apprentice
Options

I believe I finally figured this out for my television and wanted to share. My setup is:

- Samsung Q80R TV

- Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver (connected to HDMI ARC port on TV. Will upgrade one day, but still works great!)

- PS5, Switch, & PC (plugged into non-ARC HDMI ports on TV.)

- PS3, SNES Classic, Wii, & Xbox 360 (plugged into HDMI ports on receiver.)

I used the Universal Remote option (in Sources) to setup the receiver as the main sound output. On the TV, I have Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on and Intelligent Mode off. On the receiver, HDMI Connect and ARC settings are both on. For the PS5, I tweaked the CEC settings to not turn on and off the PS5 with the TV power, so it only turns on when I select the source.  

(Edit: Content removed. I thought Game enhancer was the issue and it was not.)

0 Likes
Xero711
Apprentice
Options

Well everyone, my troubleshooting with the Game Mode setting appears to have been a coincidence. My setup seems to work properly most of the time, but intermittently reverts back to the TV speakers/not powering on/off the receiver.  If I find out how to get it working 100% of the time, I’ll follow-up.

0 Likes
Xero711
Apprentice
Options

I think a got it. Samsung’s software is definitely wonky. Nothing’s changed in my setup from my earlier post. 

If I select my receiver (HDMI 4) and power off my TV, the receiver stays on and the tv switches to tv speakers on next power on. So the “fix” for my setup is to select any other HDMI source other than the receiver before powering off the TV.

0 Likes
P1an
Student
Options

Has anyone found a proper solution to this? I have a Samsung QN85B and a Denon AVC-S660H.

And have the same problem as everyone in this tread. TV doesn't turn on AVR unless i select TV source before turning off the TV.

Samsung please update the firmware!

0 Likes
Ivo234
Journeyman
Options

The only thing that worked for me is to plug the external sources into the TV, then connect the TV to the receiver using the ARC HDMI output. Then turn external sources on and off, which would turn the TV and receiver on and off.

Unplug external sources from TV and plug them into the receiver. This would make turning on the external source still be able to turn both TV and receiver on and off. The caveat being that over time the synchronization still breaks and I would have to repeat the process.

That said, my 3 year old Samsung TV died, so I bought a Sony A95K. The Sony TV has no problems turning receiver on and off no matter how I connect the devices (to TV  or to receiver). Glad to finally have everything working simply and easily as it should.

John661
Apprentice
Options

If I knew I was going to have this problem I would of bought a Sony as well.

ghasul
Apprentice
Options

Same problem here.  I just bought a Q60B to replace a 9 year old Sony.  The Sony had no problem turning the AVR on and off.  The Samsung only turns it off.  

0 Likes