Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Frame (2020) Dolby Digital audio sync issue with One Connect Box

(Topic created on: 17-05-2020 03:11 PM)
cj_90
Apprentice
Options

New Frame customer here. 

Other than the terrible HDR issues others are reporting (dark, unwatchable picture), I am having audio delay (lip sync) issues where the video is ahead of the sound when playing a Dolby Digital track from an external source. 

Set up:

TV: The Frame 43 (2020) with One Connect Box (OCB) 

Soundbar: Sonos Beam (connected via eARC port on OCB)

External HDMI source: Virgin Media/Liberty Media V6 box (connected to HDMI 1 on OCB)

Issue/Troubleshooting:

1. Watching a channel on the Virgin Media box with a Dolby Digital track;
  2. Video on the screen is around 40/60ms ahead of the audio (this cannot be compensated for on any settings);
  3. Change audio output on the Virgin Media box to PCM - no delay, perfect synchronization.
  4. Plug Virgin Media Box optical out directly into the Sonos Beam and play Dolby Digital - no delay, perfect synchronization.
  5. Watch content with a Dolby Digital track on one of the build in apps on Tizen OS - no delay, perfect synchronization.

It appears there is something happening when processing the Dolby Digital signal when sent via an external source to the One Connet Box. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts on how to resolve? I don't want to watch content in PCM if I can avoid it!

13 REPLIES 13
Mister_H
First Poster
Options

Would be interested to know if you ever found a solution to this.

I have the same problem with a Q70 TV / Soundbar setup.

I gave up trying to find the answer. Came to the conclusion that Samsung TVs have a problem processing Dolby Digital passthrough over HDMI (even though both TV & soundbar have both had updates in recent weeks)

For what it's worth, this is my situation:

Sky+HD box outputting DD over HDMI = sync problem

Roku Streaming Stick plugged into TV HDMI port = sync problem

Using native apps on TV = no sync problem

Sky+HD box outputting DD over optical link straight to soundbar = no sync problem (except to switch between TV ARC & DIN I have to disable Anynet+ & enable when switching back)

Regularly checking for further updates but not holding my breath.

0 Likes
Tucson-Jackson
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I just installed a 75" The Frame and am having the same problem. I have tried various configurations of the internal or external speakers. No mater what I do thee is still a delay between the video and the sound. It is driving me crazy. There must be some solution. This can't be the way the TV works for most people. Or is it. Help!

ConfusedBob
Apprentice
Options

I've just got the Frame as well (2020), and a Saumsung soundbar HW-61T. With any TV output to the soundbar (SKY Q, Netflix, Firestick etc) I get a delay that can't be corrected by adjusting the delay on the TV, Sky Q box etc. I've tried the HDMI-ARC connection, and the Bluetooth connection and both seem bad. I'll try the optical option if i can find my lead! I wondered if it is an issue with the One Connect box? Everthing is up to the latest firmware etc. I've not tried the Sky direct to the soundbar yet.

Anyone figured this out so the soundbar is useable?

Cheers 

0 Likes
Davidl7
First Poster
Options

Same problem with:

Frame 2020  50"

Sonos sound bar connected via optical

Virgin Media v6

Apple TV 4k

Annoying lip sync delay where the picture is ahead of the sound when using Virgin Media.

Sorry, doesn't help you much but it's obviously not a one off. Hopefully someone (Samsung?) can provide a solution.

Tucson-Jackson
Journeyman
Options

The Lip-Sync problem is dependent on the processing of the data stream. When I watch a direct feed (any channel) from my cable provider (Cox) I have an extreme sync problem. The video is preceding the audio by many milliseconds. This is true whether I use my Sonos sound bar or the Frame's internal speakers. But, when I watch material via one of the installed apps the problem gos away. For example, the PBS News show, when watched directly from a Cox provided channel has the Lip-Sync problem. But when watched using the PBS app there is no Lip-Sync problem. Again, if I watch a show on Amazon's Prime Video there is perfect Lip-Sync. Based on this it would seem that Samsung could devise a fix for the problem... but who knows. I guess we'll just have to stay tuned...

Tucson-Jackson
Journeyman
Options

I should also note that the Lip-Sync problem doesn't appear to be associated with a particular audio output. The same problem exists for me with the Frame's internal speakers and my Sonos soundbars, both Beam and Arc. Additionally, I have tried both the optical and the eARC connections to the soundbars and have seen no difference.

ConfusedBob
Apprentice
Options

I’ve now sold my Samsung soundbar. I might get a Sonos beam next but you guys suggest it is a TV issue. Before I removed the soundbar the sound would go totally out of sync or keep playing from tv and soundbar as two different outputs on some apps particularly when paused and resumed, especially Amazon Video. It’s a very annoying bug that I’m surprised isn’t more commonly reported. 

Does anyone get any TV power off moments, mid viewing, sometimes a few minutes from coming out of Art Mode power down? 

0 Likes
Tucson-Jackson
Journeyman
Options

I haven't had any TV power-off moments, but I have had power-on moments. It has occurred twice in the middle of the night. They were not happy moments with my Frame. Since then I've been switching off the power to the TV's power outlet before retiring. it has also happened once during the day. I don't know whether this is the fault of the TV or evil spirits but I suspect the TV.

0 Likes
jwnz
Apprentice
Options

Same issue with a 2020 Q80 85 inch. Multiple external sources incur long audio delay when those sources are set to output Dolby Digital bitstream over HDMI. Switch them to stereo and it's gone. Infuriating.

0 Likes