Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Solution Found - Q950A eARC Problems

(Topic created on: 04-09-2021 10:24 AM)
Moralneeeick
Pioneer
Options

I have spent 4 painful days trying to solve the issues with eARC on the Q950A when paired with a Samsung TV (I have QN800A). I have finally got the eARC connection to persist and have some explains below. Hopefully someone from Samsung reads this and fixes their software.

What you need to sacrifice to get this to work:

Samsung universal remote for everything except Q950A.

CEC functionality from a non samsung device.

What the issues are:

1 - any device connected in the chain which has CEC enabled can break the earc handshake

2 - if you use samsung universal remote it will not leave the appropriate delays when turning on devices causing earc handshake to break

Steps to get a perfect earc setup:

1 - on every device except for TV disable CEC or HDMI control. Apple TV, Sky Q, Xbox, PS5. Has to be all of them.

2 - unplug all devices from tv and Soundbar and hard reset both. 950A hard reset is holding volume up and down on bar until you see INT displayed and then it says BYE.

3 - During Samsung tv setup plug everything back in (nothing into Soundbar, all into TV)

At this point samsung setup pairs things with the smart remote. But it also defaults earc to ‘off’ which is helpful for next step.

4 - once the tv is set up - do not enable earc (yet). Go to sources and universal remote and delete all sources created by Samsung so they default to HDMI 1, 2 etc. You can still rename them and add them to home just don’t use the universal remote.

5 - Turn off all HDMI inputs and turn off Soundbar.

6 - now enable earc in the menu. If it doesn’t switch on the Soundbar after this you can. It should detect earc for the first time.

7 - now turn on Xbox or PS5 - you will have to change the input manually on Samsung remote. In samsung sound settings on tv once the input is up select pass through and leave it.

Now you have an earc connection which can’t be killed by external sources. One final point:

whenever you turn on tv - make sure you turn on tv first and no other device. Soundbar should come on automatically if you have a Samsung tv - if not turn that on after tv is on. Check you have earc - if so you’re safe to turn other devices on.

I don’t know if Samsung will fix this - but I know understand why it’s not totally within their control. However it is in their control to fix pass through for multi channel LPCM and DTS-X.

make sure Xbox is set to bitstream Atmos pass through and PlayStation set to Dolby. Also make sure to change blu ray app output to bitstream within the player to get lossless Atmos.

Hope this helps someone. And I hope Samsung read it.

97 REPLIES 97
Moralneeeick
Pioneer
Options

Auto game mode simply doesn’t work - even on the fixed Tv I get this issue. You have to permanently set the input to game mode by setting it to ON. It’s annoying if you use Xbox or PS5 as a blu ray player as the advantage of auto was it would switch off when watching a movie. Else you have to be sure when you turn on the PS5 your TV is already in the right mode - hot switching works 50% of the time at best.

it’s a great idea but hasn’t been executed well.

0 Likes
Rick_C
Pioneer
Options
I beg to differ, I have had no issues with the resolve above, game mode off and then to auto again. Can play for hours now and not have an issue. I believe it is the HDMI handshake being too quick or slow when first booting the or a console on. I have also watched films with no issues with the above method 👍 😎 But I agree it has not been setup very well. With luck we get a firmware update 🤞
0 Likes
BONYM
First Poster
Options
Just brought ps5 2 days ago played on it for a few hours then when I went to play on the PlayStation again it won't work blue lights come on but nothing comes up after that please help me with the problem its only a few days old Marcus brown thanks
0 Likes
rsoback94
First Poster
Options

So this will fix my ps4 and ps5 audio delay issue with dolby on PS settings? I have samsung q90t TV and earc has been an issue with this TV as well 

0 Likes
rsoback94
First Poster
Options

So do you have to factory reset the TV for this to work? I dont wanna lose my picture settings

0 Likes
MarkBT52
Explorer
Options

As I mentioned earlier he is changing the audio source to bitstream, so it's not a solution as he is not sending uncompressed LPCM audio!

All the rest of his instructions are a complete waste of time. If you want to passthrough 5.1 from a console through the arc port (I refuse to call it earc since it does not meet Samsung's definition of "earc") then just set to console to bitstream (lossy) audio and choose passthrough in the earc settings.

It will reduce the lag issue (mostly) and you will get decent 5.1, but it's not LPCM and it's NOT "earc" !

0 Likes
Marcel D P
First Poster
Options

I agree with you, new products should be properly tested before release. There is nothing normal about there still being bugs in new releases, it is merely a sign of shortcut release procedures. I am also having issues with Samsung TV and Sonos soundbar and the more I research the more I am getting the impression it is poor product development and poor follow up fixes by Samsung. Certainly will never buy one of their products again.  Had the TV for one week and already fed up.

0 Likes
Red3ullZzzz
Journeyman
Options

Following. 

Even after last firmware update, I still encounter earc crashes.

Sometimes I can't even have video signal from ps5.

Sometimes it works for few days and sometimes I'm fed up with trying and use the bar with bluetooth. 

0 Likes
Members_K67WmFC
First Poster
Options

is there still a problem with q950A? Buy or wait?

0 Likes
meshaw
Apprentice
Options

Hello Eric,

Has your issued been resolved. I am having same issue here in Canada.

Thanks

0 Likes