Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartThings App says TV offline but it's not

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 05:18 PM)
AnneK1
Journeyman
Options

Hi folks, so I've got a QE55Q90RATXXU TV and when I jump into the Smart Things app on my phone, it says the TV is offline.  But the TV definitely isn't as we don't have an aerial so we stream everything on our wifi and both my phone (and the app) and the TV are running on the same wifi so why does Smart Things think my TV is offline.

Also struggling to connect a pair of BOSE wireless headphones to the TV if anyone can help with that.

TIA Anne

55 REPLIES 55
rabbitjack
Journeyman
Options

I wish that worked for me.  I have both bandwidth signals separated on my router and it hasn't made a difference.

0 Likes
topicblunder
First Poster
Options

I've had the same exact situation since I bought my Frame. Every 2-3 months, I'll change the artwork and the app says the TV is offline. As soon as I remove it, it immediately "scans" as a new device that can be added and then I take "ownership" over it to reset it. Like clockwork.. someone should be working on fixing this instead of having consumers reset their device multiple times a year. 

Ucnhtmenow
First Poster
Options

You're absolutely right. It's supposed to make things more convenient for us but having to re-register a device everyday or even once a week isn't what I consider conveniance. Almost everytime I open smarthings it takes 5 minutes for device to connect after deleting it and re-adding it. It only works half the time on my Samsung watch also. I have to close and refresh the app multiple times for it to work.

It doesn't really bother me because I work in the IT and A/V field and I'll be the first to tell you that electronics are electronics and they're going to do what they want at times. I don't know how many times a customer calls saying their modem or cameras aren't working and I get there and everything is working. The first step I always tell customers is just reset the unit before you call because that usually fixes about 80% of the issues. 

jimmystrew
First Poster
Options

I've just switch from wireless to ethernet - wireless I never had an issue but ethernet kept going to offline in the smartthings app. I stumbled up this post https://community.smartthings.com/t/samsung-tv-showing-offline-in-st-when-tv-powered-off-google-home...

I already use wake on lan with Alexa for my PC (plus the WoL Android app by Mike Webb). Probably wouldn't have thought to add the TV to that but it works - I checked it in the middle of the night after the TV had been off for 6 hours and was showing offline. Alexa had previously been saying "device TV does not support this" when it was offline but I've set up a WoL device called "Samsung" and a new routine to turn on "Samsung" when I say "Alexa, turn on the TV" and it's all gravy.

0 Likes
rabbitjack
Journeyman
Options

My initial post re: this topic is a little old by now, but about six months ago I was finally able to get my Alexa devices to control my Samsung tv via the Smart Things app.  I don't know if they managed to upgrade it or not, but it took me through several steps before it finally linked up to my tv.  It seems to be working now without any issues.

sdj2
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much!  Still valid a few years later.

0 Likes